Author Topic: Workswell WCB-M-108 Full suspension 29er  (Read 13298 times)

two-one

Workswell WCB-M-108 Full suspension 29er
« on: August 18, 2016, 03:16:34 AM »
I'm considering changing my FM-036 frame for a Workswell WCB-M-108 in size 20.5

http://www.workswellbikes.com/web/view/196.html
I like the headangle and the stack/reach, and don't intend to use a dropper seatpost, so the 520mm seattube probably wouldn't bother me.
I just have to calculate the shock tune to go with it... probably L/L

Does anyone have experience with this frame? And maybe have a picture of the 20.5" model?

adbl

Re: Workswell WCB-M-108 Full suspension 29er
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 12:56:32 PM »
I'm looking at this bike too! I currently have a CS-057 and love the bike but i'm thinking about having a FS again in my quiver. According to my research it has geometry very similar to the new Santa Cruz Tallboy 3 (except for the VPP suspension of course). The SC has received very good reviews as a one bike quiver killer on everything but the most extreme AM/Enduro drops. I'd hate to be the guinea pig but i might have to pull the trigger on one. BTW does anyone know anything about Workswell? I don't know anyone that has purchased from them..........
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:34:56 PM by adbl »

exzos

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 02:17:38 AM »
Where is it possible to buy this frame? Can't find it on aliexpress

adbl

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 07:48:51 AM »
Where is it possible to buy this frame? Can't find it on aliexpress

Their website is Workwellbikes.com.

two-one

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 08:21:07 AM »
Yishun bikes has the same model, but they say that the 20.5" size hasn't been made yet... another couple of weeks.
http://www.yishunbike.com/mtb_frames -> LCFS902

I would still like to see a picture of that size before ordering. It would be nice to make a cool paintjob at the same time.

adbl

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 10:02:24 AM »
The one concern i have is, given the fact the geometry is very similar to the Santa Cruz Tallboy 3 but doesn't have the VPP suspension, how is it going to handle and pedal? Is it just losing some of the pedal efficiency but most other characteristics are the same? This is why i'm cautious about being a guinea pig  :-\

gohloum

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 11:11:08 AM »
Ooooohhhh... Yishun has short travel XC full suspension frames...

Must.... Stayyyy.... focused.....   Must... build... hard tail...  first.....  [Caught in gravi-tron mind trickery FS vortex beam, LOL!]

Is yishun a quality frame?

two-one

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 03:50:02 AM »
The one concern i have is, given the fact the geometry is very similar to the Santa Cruz Tallboy 3 but doesn't have the VPP suspension, how is it going to handle and pedal? Is it just losing some of the pedal efficiency but most other characteristics are the same? This is why i'm cautious about being a guinea pig  :-\
The pivot point is a little bit higher than on the FM-036 frames, so the anti-squat numbers should be a little higher, creating more pedal-support.
also, the leverage ratio is a lot lower because of the 51mm stroke shock, so most aftermarket shocks will feel overdamped (a lot of damping), which should create a firm suspension feeling.
I would probably choose a Monarch Debonair RT3 shock, and retune it for this frame to a lower damping setting.

numberzero

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 07:55:09 AM »
I bought this frame from yishun and at the moment i'm pretty happy with it.
My config is 100mm reba on front and monarchXX shock. I'd say this is a racy setup, clearly XC. As two-one said suspension is more on firm side but with 25% sag i use all the travel. Suspension works but you don't really feel it.

The pivot point is a little bit higher than on the FM-036 frames, so the anti-squat numbers should be a little higher, creating more pedal-support.
32 chainring is the size to get 100% AS (chain is aligned with pivot point)

also, the leverage ratio is a lot lower because of the 51mm stroke shock, so most aftermarket shocks will feel overdamped (a lot of damping), which should create a firm suspension feeling.
I would probably choose a Monarch Debonair RT3 shock, and retune it for this frame to a lower damping setting.
Yes i think if you want to build a trail bike monarchXX is not the shock to go with this frame. High volume shocks will probably make the ride softer.

(I'm not very experienced in FS so that's the opinion from a guy coming from a XC hardtail)

two-one

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 11:36:27 AM »
I bought this frame from yishun and at the moment i'm pretty happy with it.
My config is 100mm reba on front and monarchXX shock. I'd say this is a racy setup, clearly XC. As two-one said suspension is more on firm side but with 25% sag i use all the travel. Suspension works but you don't really feel it.

32 chainring is the size to get 100% AS (chain is aligned with pivot point)

Yes i think if you want to build a trail bike monarchXX is not the shock to go with this frame. High volume shocks will probably make the ride softer.

(I'm not very experienced in FS so that's the opinion from a guy coming from a XC hardtail)
Cool! you're the first! I'm actually working on a paint job, and was planning to order it when I'm ready. Can you place a photo of your build?

I'm also wondering... don't you get any pedal strikes with the 100mm fork? 32t chainring sounds right on the money.

I wouldn't advise using a high-volume aircan, unless it's one with a high-volume negative chamber, like the Monarch Debonair, or a Fox EVOL aircan, otherwise you'll end up bottoming the suspension very often.
I'm still debating between a Monarch Debonair, or a Manitou Mcleod (without king-can).

numberzero

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 01:57:13 PM »
I'm also wondering... don't you get any pedal strikes with the 100mm fork? 32t chainring sounds right on the money.
No problem of pedal strikes, the bottom bracket doesn't seem so low. Many bikes now can be either 100 or 120mm front without problems (spark, kona heihei...)
I can check the bb height if you want and make photos soon.

numberzero

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 07:52:48 AM »
So about the Yishun LCFS902 (or Workswell WCB-M-108), i checked my bb height at 325mm with 100mm fork and 2,2 tyres, static measurement without SAG. As i said previously no problem of pedal strike in this configuration.

Here is what 19" frame looks like :
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 06:13:26 AM by numberzero »

two-one

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 03:55:49 AM »
So about the Yishun LCFS902 (or Workswell WCB-M-108), i checked my bb height at 325mm with 100mm fork and 2,2 tyres, static measurement without SAG. As i said previously no problem of pedal strike in this configuration.

Here is what 19,5 frame looks like :

How is the rear-triangle lateral stiffness? Can you twist the rear wheel sideways a lot?

adbl

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »
Good looking bike numberzero! I am considering one of these as well. Have you been able to take a final weight?

Can you give us more thoughts on the quality of ride? If there could be improvements is there anything you would change?

oscarfaba

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 07:42:55 AM »
Yo e comprado ese marco en workwell y llevo un poco mas de un mes esperando envio, también pedí uno de carretera con freno de disco! se me hace muy raro que tarden tanto en enviar.