Chinese Carbon Road Bikes > Road Bike Frames, Wheels & Components

Dengfu FM098 build thread

(1/4) > >>

karstenhorn:
Hello All

Apart from Mountain biking, I do like to to take some longer rides on my road bike together with my wife and I do also find it easier to conduct some cardio training when on a road bike. My good old Trek 5500 have had a long but good life but I think it is coming to an end as there is a hairline crack developing just above the bottom bracket. My 5500 started out as a team bike for a national Pro tour team for a year when I bought it 2. hand. It came with a very good setup and I have now ridden more than 10.000 miles in 10 years without a single issue with the Dura-Ace 7800 groupset and in 10.000 miles I have only had 6 punctures and 1 exploded tire(I only ride in dry conditions) !!

Based on my good experience with my Chiner MTB frame the choice was easy, my new road bike will also be based on a well proven Chiner road frame. Investigating the market with all the different Chiner road frames, I saw numerous good feedback on the FM098 aero frame as well as dealing with Dengfu. As I like well proven stuff(I just built a 036 MTB bike) the choice was easy and as I write this, my new frame is being prepared by Dengfu and it will ship within a week. As a side note I will highlight Dengfu as a fantastic company to do business with, very friendly and extremely quick in their replies to all my questions - I can only recommend Dengfu.

Picture of my beloved Trek - As it came with a rather aggressive setup, I had to change the position of the handlebar and I also had to go for a Compact crankset:

Picture of the new frame with my custom paint job illustrated:

The only parts from my 5500 that will be reused is the wheel set, still shopping all the other bits and pieces but the groupset will properly be based on the newest version of the Ultegra DI2 groupset, that is if I cannot find a good deal on a corresponding Sram Etap kit...... More to follow !

Kind regards

Karsten

carbonazza:
Wow... it is the first time I see a seatpost that high.
Does it impact the handling?

karstenhorn:

--- Quote from: carbonazza on August 27, 2016, 04:22:37 PM ---Wow... it is the first time I see a seatpost that high.
Does it impact the handling?

--- End quote ---

I guess that you mean the stem and not the seat-post - Handling is just fine and the adjustable stem is actually for a MTB but I needed something to raise the height of the handlebar as the original riding position was way too aggressive for my old back. Its been like this for 10 years and it saved me from buying a new fork when I got the bike. As a matter of fact I have also owned a Dura-Ace equipped Trek 5900(same frame as Amstrong won his last TDF) but I always preferred my old 5500 so I sold the other bike again.

The FM098 will be built with a 17 degree stem in order to achieve a little more upright riding position.

carbonazza:
Ouch... it was the stem indeed :)

karstenhorn:
I got a nice update from Dengfu this morning stating that my frame is ready for shipping out with DHL later today. There was a lead time for 15 days due to my custom paint job. They kept it within a couple of days and as always, when sending them a mail they always answer within 30 min. Until now it has been a great experience doing business with Dengfu and they seems like a vendor to be trusted.

Here is a picture of my painted frame:

I also got a fantastic deal on a Ultegra DI2 groupset from Bike24(1042€) so cant wait to start the build when parts start to arrive here in Denmark.

Karsten

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version