Chinese Carbon MTB > 29+ & 27+

CS-496 Build / 27.5+

(1/18) > >>

SportingGoods:
I really happy to kick off this CS-496 building topic  :D

This is the frame I won on the Chinertown lottery. As you know, my current bike is already 27.5+, so I will be transferring as much as possible. But before I get into any detail, let me share some pictures of the frame, that I received today (after a month out on vacation)

See that it was well packaged

And here is some details. I will update:
- EDIT: I had missed the most obvious, the frame :). I was a bit surprised by the weight of the frame, 1400g for a 17". 100g over what I thought. Apart from that the finishing looks good. I really like the ability to play with the length of the chainstay. And I did not know it offers internal routing for a dropper post.
- drivetrain. Going for Eagle as the CS-496 is not compatible with my current drivetrain (2x9).
- BB. Frame is BB92, my first press-fit  :o :-[ ???
- Headset. Got a Neco from Peter.
- Rear axle. I bought a through axle from Peter. My current frame is 135mm QR.
- Hubs. Frame is Boost. I bought Novatec Boost hubs from CarbonSpeed. Front is 149g. Rear is 264g with XD freewheel.

I keep all the rest of my bike:
- Stem. 70 mm Ritchey WCS
- Bar. Carbon Funn, 725mm
- Brakes. SRAM Guide RSC
- Rims. Carbon 35 mm internal, 40 mm external from CarbonSpeed
- Selle Italia SLR XC
- Reverb dropperpost. I will upgrade it to a Reverb Stealth later (resell my regular Reverb and buy a stealth - the frame has internal routing)
- Crank. XT triple. I really want to keep it, use the middle ring. Hope it will work!
- Fork. I'll upgrade the fork to a Boost one later (Christmas)

Patrick C.:
Nice!  Can you post close up pics of the rear dropouts and the rear brake mount?   

Also, is the rear derailer hole sized to run a full length housing, or do you just put a piece on the jump from the down tube to the chainstay?

SportingGoods:
Here we go

Here is the outside of the system. 2 holes, one is blocked by the piece of metal.

Inside of the system. The RD hanger is secured through the axle, and moves with the position.

Now the brake mount. I was a bit surprised to see this design. Pro: if you ever damage the thread you just have to replace the adapter. Con: heavier. On this picture you also see the disc side of the system to modify the chainstay. Here it is as simple as 2 holes. No piece of metal.

And for those who are curious about a BB92, here is how it looks like. About 90mm wide. No aluminum shell.

For the RD housing, it looks like a full-housing (which I prefer). Obviously, the cable/housing get out at the bottom of the downtube, run in the air and then goes back in the chainstay. I'm not a big fan of that solution, it would have been a lot better to run all the way inside, but the odd design of the right chainstay prevents that solution.

Pack66:
SportingGoods....how's the frame quality compared to Flyxii?

SportingGoods:
Honestly I see no difference in quality! I'm really happy with my FR-202. It came in 3K Glossy, which has a very clean look compared to the UD Matt of the CS-496. But that's the nature of the finishing.
I really can't say that one is obviously better quality then the other, but again, they are both very good quality.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version