Chinese Carbon Road Bikes > Road Bike Frames, Wheels & Components

My First Road Bike... is a Chiner.

<< < (3/7) > >>

tripleDot:

--- Quote from: SportingGoods on September 28, 2016, 08:37:32 AM ---Super nice! I like the orange accent.
Do you plan on using proper automatic pedals? I can't picture myself using flat!

--- End quote ---

Thanks SG.  My old XC (Jamis Durango 29er) taught me how to love the orange color.  Hehe.
Sure I do consider getting a clipless pedal, thinking of CB Eggbeater (they got one with orange accent, hehe), but not this year.

karstenhorn:

--- Quote from: tripleDot on September 28, 2016, 09:18:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: SportingGoods on September 28, 2016, 08:37:32 AM ---Super nice! I like the orange accent.
Do you plan on using proper automatic pedals? I can't picture myself using flat!

--- End quote ---

Thanks SG.  My old XC (Jamis Durango 29er) taught me how to love the orange color.  Hehe.
Sure I do consider getting a clipless pedal, thinking of CB Eggbeater (they got one with orange accent, hehe), but not this year.

--- End quote ---

I'm using CB at my road bike too as I need a little extra movement for my knees. May I suggest Eggbeater Candy 7 as they have small pads to adjust how tight the pedals will sit to your shoes. It is nice to have a little more support under your shoes when riding a road bike and I'm very happy with my Candy 7. You can then buy titanium spindles on ebay and make a 240g pedal kit if thats what you want :D

Karsten

tripleDot:
@Karsten, you have a point with the Candy series offers a more substantial support for the feet.  Will definitely consider that.  I got a question about CB cranks... I've read a lot of the same Ti spindle you suggested, is this just a "weight weenie" move or the CB spindle deserves to be replaced?

SportingGoods:
Hi ...

Why not consider road pedals? You want to use the same shoes with all your bikes?
I'm doing this for now (using my Time XC8 pedals with my Mavic MTB shoes) but I already know that I will buy a dedicated set for my road bike in the future (probably Ultegra pedals and Fisik R5B shoes).

And I forgot to mention that I was completely shocked by the price you paid to get your bike mounted. $18  :o :o :o We definitely live in a different country!

tripleDot:
Took the bike for a couple of 50km rides last Saturday and Sunday.  Here's my initial review.

Since this is my first road bike and honestly just my 3rd and 4th time on a dropbar.  First time was a 5km run using a frineds Giant 2 months ago, and the 2nd time being the 15km ride last Wednesday.  My review will mostly be a comparison with mtb XC and my Haro Projekt (steel frame with riser bar) fixed gear.

Saturday: 50km climb test.
The route I took had lots of climbs, a good number of them with winding turns.  The cemented road was pretty smooth here so can't comment about the vibration dampener system too much.  Weather was great.  Climbing on a roadie is a bit harder than I expected.  I'm pretty used to the more relaxed position of an XC.  I've pretty much run out of gears on a couple of those climbs but fortunately, never had to get off to push.  Going downhill was a scary experience.  Not used to the short dropbar, awkward brake position, and pretty much an aggressive seating position.  My fingers hurts with having to grab the brakes... have they not invented hydraulic brakes for clamp/cantilever brakes yet?  Good news is, my lower back did not hurt.

Sunday: 60km speed test.
This route is almost a 100% flat.  Road condition is from great to bad, cemented, asphalt, and some portions of hard pack mud.  Here those vibration dampener system really shone.  I can feel the vibrations between my legs but none on my wrists and elbow.  On my Projekt, these vibrations gives me sore hands and elbows.  Very happy with that.  While this was supposed to be a speed test, I really did not push this bike aside from doing a couple of sprints at mid gear range.  It didn't take long to hit above 45kph... the problem was I couldn't sustain it longer than I wanted.  My average speed for the trip was just around 27kph, which isn't much as I average 25kph on my XC.

As far as riding position, I would say it's pretty comfortable.  I was expecting a lot of lower back pain but didn't encounter them... maybe when I do centuries.  My main complain, which is caused by being new with roadies, is that I pretty much have 4 holding positions with the dropbar and none of them are comfty.  Although I did not suffer sore wrist and elbow.  Another thing I need to get use to is when stopping and standing over the top tube, I have bump my thigh or knees on the dropbars a few times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version