Author Topic: My Son's Hardtail 29 build  (Read 1949 times)

randomshenans

My Son's Hardtail 29 build
« on: October 11, 2016, 09:57:21 AM »
Hey there all, I've lurked about on here but first actual post. Hi fives me!

I'm building a bike with my son, as his last bike was stolen, so we're going to do this one together.

This is the frame we have:

From a seller on the great eBay.
(here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251648407653?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

We've specced it up, and decided on XT spec, so as he's doing chores, he's earning some pieces. He's now got through his carbon stem, seat post and handlebars. Just got his seat clamp through today, too.

But his XT crank has arrived (FC-8000 38/28) and it seems like the inner ring chain will foul the frame...

You can see it goes out at the rear, and you can see from my pics here:

Will it foul, or will it be OK with the chain line? Wanted to double check people's experience before fixing it all on. I don't have the wheels or cassette yet, so impossible for me to double check this. I was just wondering if I should have got the B model with 3mm extra clearance?

Other than that, we're waiting on some (he doesn't know yet) Rockshox RCT3 Pikes arriving, that I won on eBay in perfect condition and half the price of new, so when they arrive, we should be able to put the front end together at least.

I got some XT gear shifters for him as well, they can go on once everything starts coming together. Then when he's done more chores, he can buy some more parts for it. I think he's asking people for parts for Christmas too!

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ross

Carbon_Dude

Re: My Son's Hardtail 29 build
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 10:41:12 AM »
I'd consider adding a spacer ring to the drive side to move that ring out 1-2 mm, or reconsider your 2x setup and move to a 1x setup.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 11:36:41 AM »
From ebay(not really visible on the pictures), you have a PF30 bottom bracket on the frame.
And I suppose the diameter of your crankset axle is 24mm. Isn't it?

In that case you need an adapter that will put some space, and have the right diameter combination between the frame and the axle.

Such as this one: http://wheelsmfg.com/bb-pf30-universal-adapter-for-24mm-spindle-cranks-shimano-fsa-etc.html
Or this better one: http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/pf30-outboard/pf30-outboard-bottom-brackets/pressfit-30-to-outboard-bottom-bracket-for-24mm-cranks-shimano-black.html

randomshenans

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 04:41:27 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll have a look at that second one and grab one.

Should help things a little! Will the length of the crank spline be OK still? Won't need to change that up?

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 05:48:07 AM »
If the width of the frame at the bottom bracket is either 68 or 73mm, you should be fine.