Chinese Carbon MTB > 29+ & 27+

New Trek Stache 9.8

(1/4) > >>

Carbon_Dude:
My Trek Stache 7 was damaged a few weeks ago while it was on the rack on my car.  After settling with the insurance company I've upgraded to a Stache 9.8.  Upgrades from the Stache 7 to the Stache 9.8 includes a lot of carbon (frame, wheels, bars, cranks), Rockshox Pike Fork, dropper post, and XO1 drivetrain.  My first ride was yesterday and I have to say the new bike is amazingly good!  The Stache 7 was pretty good but the weight made it climb a little slower, now the Stache 9.8 resolves that by shedding up to 4 lbs off my old bike (the 9.8 weighed around 26 lbs when I picked it up at the LBS).  The downside to the light weight is now it feels more like a race bike, lightweight and fast, but a little less comfortable and a little more rough on the down hills.

As for my old Stache 7, the frame was damaged so I'm talking to Peter about purchasing a CS-496 so I can put all my old parts on it and have a spare 29+ bike.

SportingGoods:
This rack problem sounds like a good deal, even though I'm sure it was a lot of problem! Any event is an opportunity to upgrade  ;D

Sitar_Ned:
Looks nice. Sounds like that incident worked out pretty well for you. This was your vehicle insurance, right? Could be home owners policy. Always great when insurance actually benefits you rather than just costing you.

Carbon_Dude:

--- Quote from: SportingGoods on November 07, 2016, 07:42:21 AM ---This rack problem sounds like a good deal, even though I'm sure it was a lot of problem! Any event is an opportunity to upgrade  ;D

--- End quote ---

There was still some out of pocket cost to upgrade but I think it will be a worthwhile upgrade.  Techincally the 9.8 frame is carbon and is made in Taiwan so it's technically a Chiner Plus bike  :).  The Stache 7 will also be converted to a Chiner Plus bike once I get another frame out of China.

Carbon_Dude:

--- Quote from: Sitar_Ned on November 07, 2016, 08:22:46 AM ---Looks nice. Sounds like that incident worked out pretty well for you. This was your vehicle insurance, right? Could be home owners policy. Always great when insurance actually benefits you rather than just costing you.

--- End quote ---

The accident was my fault  :-\. I pulled into my driveway after a ride, the driveway has some incline, I didn't pull all the way into the garage, I set my parking brake (manual transmission), vehicle was still running, I got out to move something in my garage, looked back and the vehicle was slowly rolling down my driveway.  Obviously I didn't set the brake hard enough, and I think the brake pads cooled down and lost some friction allowing the vehicle to roll.  My vehicle didn't stop until it bumped into my neighbors car across the street.  A 3200 lb vehicle traveling at 3-5 mph does a pretty good job of damaging a bicycle and bicycle rack when it comes in contact with another vehicle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version