Author Topic: my 041 - Take 2  (Read 4940 times)

carbonazza

Re: my 041 - Take 2
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 03:56:52 PM »
Do you have the 36T star ratchet or the 18T?

Probably 18. I got them from Peter, and didn't check that with him.

When I back pedal I can ear 24 clicks for a full revolution, not sure how this can relate to an 18 engagement points.
While on my Hope hub I ear 64 clicks.

Although it annoyed me initially, after the third ride, I already started to ignore it.

carbonazza

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »
Those are really great MTB pedals.

I have put the Mavic on the new bike and will try them tomorrow morning and see if this is true :)
I positioned the cleats to the chicken release angle 13ยบ, to start with  ???

By coincidence, I received the Costelo today! Here is a picture of the two side by side:

They are both very well made. From the outside, they look the same.
And both pair weight 243g on my kitchen scale.

Here are small differences:
  • The bearings of the Mavic are "hard" to turn, no free spin. Probably some bed in required
  • The bearings of the Costelo seem very easy in comparison, almost too easy, but no play at all
  • The titanium axle on the Mavic is darker, if that gives any indication of the Ti alloy quality
  • The red ring near the thread on the Costelo seems more plasticky/fragile than the black Mavic's

I'm not sure I want to dismantle the Costelo. They look fine. Or maybe just by curiosity.
I will put them on my 062, and we'll see in the coming months based on the Strava km how to they fare( Crank Brothers last about 9-12 months with me )

All in all, I have a very good impression on the Costelo.
One thing sure, the Costelo have already more courage, as they will meet harsher conditions than the Mavic( more mud and wet rides ) 8)

SportingGoods

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 02:37:55 AM »
Looks good!

You should be fine with the Costello as, as I mentioned, the design is robust with a lock nut keeping the axle and the body together. They would certainly benefit from sealed good quality bearings (to avoid that excessive free-spin).
In case you wonder, this is where I buy my bearings.
https://www.123roulement.com

From what you describe, the MTB Costelo are very similar to Road Costelo pedals: clones but lower quality materials (and bearings!). They are not relabeled products, but rather knock-off.

carbonazza

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 04:38:37 AM »
In case you wonder, this is where I buy my bearings. https://www.123roulement.com

Thanks. I was just going to ask :)