Chinese Carbon MTB > 29+ & 27+

New 29+ Frame (CS-496) build

<< < (2/2)

Carbon_Dude:
Speaking of crankset, this past Saturday, I upgraded the cranks on my Spec SJ 6Fattie from a set of GX-1000 aluminum cranks to a set of XO Carbon cranks.

Both cranks are PF30/BB30.  When I did the upgrade, the new carbon cranks came with a different drive side spacer, looks like about a 3mm wide spacer.  The stock GX1000 cranks had a 6mm drive side spacer.  At the time I wasn't sure if I should keep the 6mm spacer on our install the 3mm spacer that came with the carbon XO cranks.  Turns out the answer was to install the new 3mm spacer with the new carbon cranks.

For the chainring, I just moved over the direct mount 28T stock SRAM ring from the GX cranks to the XO cranks.  The XO cranks came with a spider that I needed to remove in order to install the direct mount ring.  Now I have a spare set of BB30 GX cranks to sell on eBay.

It's all very confusing but if you are aware of all the differences, you will get the Boost Spacing sorted out.

carbonazza:
Thank you all. I guess I finally got it now ???
The difference between the boost and non boost version of the SRAM crankset is probably just the 32T ring that come with it. That has either a 3 or 6mm offset.

bxcc:

--- Quote from: carbonazza on March 06, 2017, 07:48:08 PM ---Thank you all. I guess I finally got it now ???
The difference between the boost and non boost version of the SRAM crankset is probably just the 32T ring that come with it. That has either a 3 or 6mm offset.

--- End quote ---

Correct.
The BB30 has a different setup with spacers and such. The BSA and BB92 both use the same GXP cranksets just different BB's. One easy way to tell the difference between GXP and BB30 cranksets is that GXP spindles are on the drive side arm and BB30 spindles are on the non drive side arm.

carbonazza:

--- Quote from: bxcc on March 07, 2017, 07:34:21 AM ---The BB30 has a different setup with spacers and such. The BSA and BB92 both use the same GXP cranksets just different BB's. One easy way to tell the difference between GXP and BB30 cranksets is that GXP spindles are on the drive side arm and BB30 spindles are on the non drive side arm.

--- End quote ---

Easy to remember!
Isn't 24mm for GXP and 30mm for BB30/PF30 an always true difference too?
I made a mistake to buy a Next SL 30mm spindle to fit a BB92( spindle on the non drive side :) ), the bearings are too thin and non standard. I will never do that again.

SportingGoods:
Correct, GXP is always 24/22 mm (non-drive side is 22 mm, drive side is 24 mm), never 30 mm.

Considering the quality of GXP I really see no reason to use 30 mm cranks. Can anyone really feel the difference?? And as you mention, 30 mm axle in BB92 results in smaller bearings; not suitable.

And now that I have experienced most of the range of bottom bracket types (BSA, BB30 and BB92), my preference really goes to BB92.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version