Chinese Carbon MTB > 29+ & 27+

Sanity check my P9 build, please!

<< < (3/9) > >>

carbonazza:

--- Quote from: deezums on January 22, 2018, 07:14:36 PM ---...Water, water in the downtube!! There is no drain hole...
...Also, the wheels have taken on water!...

--- End quote ---

I drilled a 2mm hole, at the bottom of most of my frames when the water was not going out( there is mud half of the year here ).
Either because there was no drain hole, or it was misplaced due to the fork length.

For the wheels, I have a pair that takes more water than the others.
You can deflate and unscrew the valve when at the bottom, this will send the water in the tire.
Or just unbead one side of the tire to do it if it is a problem.
I've never noticed any issue with the tape though.

I didn't say it directly in this post, but it is an amazing looking bike  :)

deezums:
I'm not sure I can bring myself to drill a hole, and I'm not too keen on pulling the bottom bracket apart often!

I believe I can figure a way to control a proper drill bit to do so without delamination, but not so much when crossing over into the aluminum. The aluminum bracket also has a 5mm lip inside where it meets the downtube, for complete drainage I would need to drill the downtube. This lip also makes it interesting getting dropper screws out of the frame, careful while removing those hose covers ;D

I'm not sure what I would like to do, I'll have to think about it for a while. Maybe I can use a thicker version of plastidip to seal as much as I can? I wish the seatpost were a little easier to remove!

If I dry out my wheels and put a little sealant in with the nipples I wonder if it'll help keep that water out. I'm not as worried about the wheels as I am the bottom bracket.

Thank you both for the nice comments! Carbonazza, were the frames you drilled alloy or carbon?

carbonazza:

--- Quote from: deezums on January 23, 2018, 06:38:17 PM ---Carbonazza, were the frames you drilled alloy or carbon?

--- End quote ---

Carbon frames... I know I shouldn't, but water and mud were accumulating regularly, killing the bearings quickly.
They are still riding ok, without cracks there.

Isn't there a hole in yours?
Maybe it is just misplaced because you have a fork that is longer or shorter than it was planned.
You could just make your bike stand with a wheel elevated, at the right angle so it empties itself.

deezums:
I don't think this frame has a hole, I checked the iscg holes and they are blind so I can't use them as a drain. I might just have to drill one

My brakes finally came, tomorrow I might get some real riding in!

Bleeding brakes sucks! It took much longer than I thought it would, all the daylight was gone by the time I was done. In the end I made a hanging handlebar reservoir and used a syringe to push/pull fluid back and forth 800 times. I found it best to only trigger the brake lever while pulling fluid through the caliper, then waiting for all the tiny microscopic bubbles to collect on top of the syringe before pushing it back through. Also zip tied the calipers vertical and tapped them with a plastic handle a lot to dislodge bubbles. When I was finally done I capped off the master cylinder while using the caliper syringe to purge all air from the bleed port. I had to remove the calipers and make sure to have them above the master cylinder when removing the syringe from the caliper, then I'd use the syringe to add a few drips of fluid to the port before installing the cap. I'm pretty happy with how tight they are now, but I think I can make them better still.

I came up with a trick for the rear brake cable, there is no cable stay on the seat tube and the cable naturally wants to flex out into the crank arm. Since I did not use the odd extra dropper post hole I was able to use it and a zip tie to make a seat tube cable stay.

Here is a shot of the rear at full droop travel with the 210x60 shock, the seat sure gets close  8)

I took the bike out to some jumps earlier, while I still didn't have brakes. I tried sending it, but it's still pretty muddy and no brakes don't mix well. I ate it a few times and christened the pedals on my calves really well, but the bike took it all like a champ. I cased one pretty good too, used all but the last 10-15mm of the front shock but still managed to roll over. Whoops!  ;D

The bottom bracket is really really low! It's going to take some getting used to, feels as though you'll hit everything. I got a pedal down hauling around a corner on a paved trail and skipped the rear out pretty good, could have went a lot worse.

I think I need to slow down before I really hurt myself  :)

carbonazza:

--- Quote from: deezums on January 28, 2018, 01:30:19 AM ---Bleeding brakes sucks!

--- End quote ---

Only the first times :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version