Author Topic: Red Chiner: IP-057, Rockshox SID, XT  (Read 14897 times)

Patrick C.

Re: Red Chiner: IP-057, Rockshox SID, XT
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 04:43:52 PM »
Been riding my Chiner for 6 weeks now and it is great.  I've had a couple of wrecks, but nothing serious (for the bike anyway).  I mis-judged a log and planted my front wheel right in front of it rather than on top.  The bike stopped, and I wound up flat on my face.  The other was on some tight singletrack where I got careless and clipped a small tree with the end of the handlebars.  I wound up with a sprained thumb when I hit the ground, but the bike was fine.

I think I solved the shudder/judder issue with the front brake- it seems to have been caused by the headset not being tight enough, even though I thought I torqued it down pretty good.  The Neco expanding plug may have been slipping and thus not tightening as much as I thought- there were marks in the steer tube where I originally had it, but I don't know if that happened during installation or in use.  When I put it back together I torqued the plug and the top cap to 15 - 20 Nm, but the headset never felt like it was binding.  With it tighter, I have not had the 'shudder' on the last few rides.   I'm debating just putting in the star nut- the Neco plug is easier, but I'm still not convinced that the plug didn't slide up the steer tube leading to too much play.

I still need to shorten the front brake line (I have it taped to the rear der cable to keep it from flapping around), but that seems to be more cosmetic than a necessity. 

Iv'e got the beginning of a downtube design-

I think I need to stretch it a bit more and add some contrasting highlights.  I didn't really like the plain outline dragons that a lot of the sticker sites have, but the details on this may not be visible from more than a few feet away.  Since you can't see the detail anyway, a simple design may be better- something like this, but in gold and about 12" long.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 08:27:51 PM »
Thanks for the update Patrick!

I just got back from a 12mi ride after work, took the IP-057.  It's funny, after a few rides on the IP-036, I get spoiled.  The first couple of miles on the hard tail seem really harsh, but after about 5-6 miles I'm loving the light stiff, razor sharp feel of the bike.  At the end of the twelve mile sprint, I was ready to ride a few more miles.  However, it was getting dark and time to head home.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 10:02:54 PM »
Decal is looking good, man. Anxious to see how they look all said and done.

Andy

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 11:00:55 PM »
Nice bike Patrick.  I really like the look of the dragon sticker on the down tube.  I'm thinking of some decals for my Chiner.  Where did you source your sticker from?  Thanks!
Andy. :)
Ip-036
Ltk-023

Patrick C.

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 11:06:34 PM »
That one is just a paper print out to see what size I need and get an idea of how it will look- I haven't ordered one yet, having a tough time finding a site that will let me order just one custom sticker.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 11:17:52 PM »
having a tough time finding a site that will let me order just one custom sticker.

Yeah.. That's probably not going to happen. Looked at the various online options pretty extensively.

If you end up with extras.. Throw one my way! I like the design on the wall too.

Yours is being mailed tomorrow, btw.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:19:51 PM by Sitar_Ned »

Vipassana

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 12:54:07 AM »
I'm digging the theme, but I'd make the sticker larger! I'd you could wrap it song the tube more and maybe make it the length of the down tube I think that would look sweet. 

brmeyer135

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 12:51:12 PM »
I have used a company that makes one-off vinyl decals. 
I have been happy with my results from them but hesitant to recommend in that they have been slow for me.
I happened upon them through ETSY - the company is Austin Sticker Company and only work via internet.
Talking to them the other day - had my downtube sticker redone with all caps(see image) - they can do 3 colors(they layer) but can't be too detailed.
You may send them your image/an image to see what they can do.
Pricing has been all over the place - $8 for 1 downtube side...current decals $15 for both side and couple of others.!?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:55:47 PM by brmeyer135 »

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »
^^ Sweet! I'm all over that! Having to order 30 stickers at a time when you're not really sure if you're going to like them or not isn't exactly ideal.

I agree about the dragon being larger and wrapping around the downtube.. Would look pretty cool, I think.

brmeyer135

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »
To add:
They provide a preview through your ETSY account...that should help also.

Patrick C.

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 12:41:33 AM »
I went with the 13" long, plain outline sticker and tried to doctor it up with some paint pens.  It was $11 with shipping, which is good since I screwed up the application-  if I decide to peel it off and start over I'm only out $11 and some cursing.  I got it twisted a bit, so there are a few tears in the vinyl in the middle of the tail.  I cut the 'head' off of the rest of the sticker and re-oriented it so that it is pointed more in line with the down tube- the sticker is meant for something a lot wider, and as it was the snout would point down and be wrapped around the bottom of the tube.

The black highlights help it stand out- if you look close they are pretty rough, but from more than a couple feet away it gives a bit of a shadow or contrast and makes the edge easier to see.   

When the rain lets up, I can get out and see how much faster this makes the bike :)

edit- I think it looks a little better in person- you don't the glare and shadows, and you can see how it curves around the tube.  I guess a video would have been better.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:46:21 AM by Patrick C. »

Vipassana

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 01:44:09 AM »
I think it looks great! That's pretty much what I was imagining with the length and wrap on the down tube. Very cool.  I bet that's good for 1-2 mph on the trail.  ;D

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 06:59:31 AM »
Very nice, really like the gold and red together!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

brmeyer135

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 10:11:11 AM »
That looks great on there.

Patrick C.

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »
Not sure if it made me faster on the trail, but I felt faster as I fell off the top of a rock after stalling out :)

Some video from a local trail- Allatoona Creek Park.  Most of it is like the rolling single track in the last half of the video, but they have a loop with massive rocks and some man-made obstacles that are well above my skill level.