Other Resources > Component Deals & Selection

UST tyres

(1/4) > >>

flanglian:
Hi. I am struggling to negotiate the UST/tubeless tyre mire! In the majority of cases, none of the tyre manufacturers make a clear differentiation on their sites between their UST and tubeless models.

I'm hoping that friendly CT member(s) can advise, if running UST, which tyres they're using and why!   

Sitar_Ned:
Hope you don't mind, Flanglian - Moved your thread to the components section.

Good question, and a pretty confusing topic when you first dive into it. I'm no expert so please correct where I'm wrong but I think the most important thing to do when attempting to negotiate the UST/tubeless tyre mire is to make sure you have a solid understanding of all the different definitions.

UST tires are thicker, heavier, and mostly (or completely) air tight. The benefits supposedly are more securely seated, more dependable tyre set-up. Then there are tubeless ready tyres that are lighter, thinner, and may require more sealant to keep them air tight. I would venture to guess that tubeless ready is what most people use when running tubeless set-ups, but that is just a guess. In reality, you could run a standard tubed tyre tubeless and in fact many people do. Personally, I'd avoid going that route. Not that you mentioned taking, but thought it was worth pointing out. Bottom line is "tubeless ready" is most likely what you want to look into getting. And actually, most manufacturers do list what type of tyre it is on their websites it's just that you have familiarize yourself with even more definitions bc they all use different marketing phrases to designate what is what. For instance, I believe Specialized has their UST tyres and then their "2bliss" tyres which are the tubeless ready ones.

You also should consider the type of rims the tyres will be going on. You didn't mention the wheels you'll be running?

Carbon_Dude:
Ned has pretty much summed up the tubeless vs UST tire market.  UST was created by Mavic and does not require sealant to make a good seal, however, I would still run sealant to prevent flats and if I'm going to run sealant, why get the thicker, heavier, more expensive UST tire?

So I run Tubeless ready tires with sealant (Stans, or I now prefer Orange Sealant), this is pretty much what everyone is doing.

flanglian:
Thanks for moving to the appropriate section, Ned!

I haven't come to any conclusions yet but I trying to be methodical about determining what it the 'best' build solution for me. The UST solution appears to be the most 'elegant' 'tubeless' solution since at least Mavic's UST rims are not drilled, tyre bed is extruded to secure the tyre and it does not require liquid sealant (but might be sensible to run anyway).

I take on board your comments re weight C_D and certainly, Mavic's own UST tyres do appear to be heavier and less appropriate to the type of riding I'll mostly be doing which is fire roads and sandy forest trails.

I have a preference for Continental as my tyre provider but their site is extremely unclear with regard to which, if any, of their 29er tyres is UST compliant (as opposed to tubeless ready). They claim that their Protection range are UST compliant but then none of the tables state UST compliant on the 29er sizes, just the 26" tyres.

As far as I can make out, TLR does not necessarily make a tyre UST compliant!

Aidez moi, svp!   

Carbon_Dude:
Yes, checking Continental's website, it looks like they are not supporting UST in the 29" size.  I really do believe that Tubeless Ready is the new standard that everyone is choosing, UST really seems to be going away.  At one time I was told that any company that makes a UST listed tire had to pay money to Mavic for every UST tire sold.  Who knows how true that is but it could be a reason that manufacturers are not supporting UST as much as they are TLR (tubeless ready).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version