Chinese Carbon MTB > 29er

Quick Bottom Bracket Question

(1/5) > >>

surferjo:
Hello All.

Ive been lurking on this site for a bit now.  After doing a good amount of reading I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Carbon 29er Hard tail. 

I currently ride a 26" Merlin XLM Ti frame.

The frame I purchased says Bottom bracket BSA 73mm. Bottom Brackets have really changed a lot since I built up my Merlin. 

My question is will this bottom bracket work with my frame?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RaceFace-Cinch-Bottom-Bracket-BSA-68-73mm-BB-Shell-x-30mm-Spindle-/122737612273?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

If not can you make a recommendation?

Thank in advance for the help.

Joey

lRaphl:
What crank will you be using? The BB you linked is for 30mm spindles. Shimano use 24mm spindles on their cranks, Race Face use 24mm and 30mm spindles, Rotor use 30mm spindles, SRAM has their GXP standard, etc.

surferjo:
Wow,  I haven't even looked at cranks yet,  Im glad I posted here.  Im trying to build this on a budget, ill start looking at cranks now. 

Thank you

bxcc:
I believe that the linked B.B. will only work with RaceFace Cinch cranks which use a 30mm spindle. Yes it will work with the frame as long as you get a RF Cinch crank. Pretty much all the new RF stuff is Cinch. That’s just their BB system name, sort of like how Sram used GXP.

What sort of crank budget are you looking at? Arm length?

lRaphl:

--- Quote from: bxcc on March 13, 2018, 08:43:28 PM ---I believe that the linked B.B. will only work with RaceFace Cinch cranks which use a 30mm spindle.
--- End quote ---

In fact, Rotor use the same BB standard as RaceFace Cinch cranks but if he's on a budget, Rotor cranks are already out of the game since they cost a lot. :)

Shimano SLX cranks clearly are best bang for $ . They are as light as XT if you use an aftermarket chainring like the RaceFace narrow wide ring or something similar (many vendor at various prices). They use BSA bottom bracket and have a 24mm spindle. You can get a XT BB for 25$ CAD at CRC so it's cheap.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/shimano-xt-mt800-bottom-bracket/rp-prod135826

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version