Chinese Carbon MTB > 29er

FM 158 and 258

<< < (3/7) > >>

charlesrg:

--- Quote from: bxcc on April 26, 2018, 06:55:28 AM ---
I used to be in the same mindset of "droppers are for big travel bikes" until I started using one. I put one on my trail bike last year and now I'm wanting one on my SS and my 29+ bike. To me it just seems odd that they would make it relatively modern in it's geometry but then limit it to not having a dropper. I know that I'm not alone in scratching this frame off of the list if that's the case.

--- End quote ---

I understand your point. Different Riders, different needs.
My answer on the bend is that If you make a very short chainstay you end up having to bend the seat tube to allow for tire clearance. I have even seen bikes with bend seatpost matching a bent seat tube.
We can't have it all. Big tires, big chainrings, dropper and short chainstay. I will trade a short chainstay and room for a 2.3 tire for no dropper :P

The issue is that the Chinese have no R&D so they just clone the frames and we end up with fewer choices, just a bunch of the same.

sclyde2:

--- Quote from: charlesrg on April 25, 2018, 08:55:44 PM ---
Haven't seen any XC racer using droppers and winning races.
If you want a dropper why not go for a trail bike or all mountain ?

--- End quote ---

Didn't Annika Langvad run one in the Cape epic?  Maybe not on all the stages, but I did see it on one of those "what the pros ride" kind of articles.  I think she ended up winning by about an hour.

Julien Absalon, while not quite winning, has been known to often run a dropper post in recent world cups.  Have you heard of him?

charlesrg:

--- Quote from: sclyde2 on April 27, 2018, 12:30:43 AM ---
--- Quote from: charlesrg on April 25, 2018, 08:55:44 PM ---
Haven't seen any XC racer using droppers and winning races.
If you want a dropper why not go for a trail bike or all mountain ?

--- End quote ---

Didn't Annika Langvad run one in the Cape epic?  Maybe not on all the stages, but I did see it on one of those "what the pros ride" kind of articles.  I think she ended up winning by about an hour.

Julien Absalon, while not quite winning, has been known to often run a dropper post in recent world cups.  Have you heard of him?

--- End quote ---

On Absalon, perhaps that's the reason he didn't win. He is tall enough not to need one and carrying the extra weight would probably moved him back. Any proof reference ?

On a stage race a pro can use for a single stage if they already have a long advantage based on sponsor reque$t.

Show me one of top 3 podium on World Cup XC race using dropper and you will change me.

cbenj42:

--- Quote from: charlesrg on April 27, 2018, 12:08:15 PM ---On Absalon, perhaps that's the reason he didn't win. He is tall enough not to need one and carrying the extra weight would probably moved him back. Any proof reference ?

--- End quote ---

The extra weight of the dropper would likely impact Absalon less, as he is a relatively heavier rider at about 70.5kg. He produces more absolute power than a smaller rider with the same W/Kg ratio, and has a smaller ratio of bike weight to body weight, both of which would offset the extra weight of the dropper post.

--- Quote from: charlesrg on April 27, 2018, 12:08:15 PM ---Show me one of top 3 podium on World Cup XC race using dropper and you will change me.

--- End quote ---

Maxime Marotte used a dropper at the opening round of the XC World Cup this season in Stellenbosch. He finished 3rd, a few bike lengths behind Gaze and Schurter. Other racers in the top-10 who used droppers were Florian Vogel (7th) and Titouan Carod (5th).

charlesrg:
In the topic of this frame.

Have you guys noticed that the Brake Caliper sometimes is mounted in the chainstay and sometimes in the seatstay ?

I have an M06 and it's mounted in the chainstay because the seatstay flexes with the wheel travel. If no shock is installed the frame still stays erect, the seatstay acts like a spring.

Wondering if anyone has a 258 in hands and can check if there is flex or smooth operation in the whole travel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version