Chinese Carbon MTB > 29er

FM 158 and 258

<< < (4/7) > >>

Jerryno:

--- Quote from: charlesrg on April 27, 2018, 12:32:33 PM ---Wondering if anyone has a 258 in hands and can check if there is flex or smooth operation in the whole travel.

--- End quote ---

It has to flex, because there is no pivot close or in the real axle.

charlesrg:

--- Quote from: Jerryno on April 27, 2018, 01:05:36 PM ---
--- Quote from: charlesrg on April 27, 2018, 12:32:33 PM ---Wondering if anyone has a 258 in hands and can check if there is flex or smooth operation in the whole travel.

--- End quote ---

It has to flex, because there is no pivot close or in the real axle.

--- End quote ---

So do you think the brake caliper mounted on the seatstay might be an issue ?  This has kept me awake at night for a few days.

bxcc:

--- Quote from: charlesrg on April 27, 2018, 12:08:15 PM ---
Show me one of top 3 podium on World Cup XC race using dropper and you will change me.

--- End quote ---

Different preferences for different riders but this comment leads me to a couple of questions.
1) are you chasing podiums?
2) have you spent much time on a dropper?

My opinion is that skipping the dropper only because of weight is silly. Sort of like going full rigid because it’s lighter.

sclyde2:
C'mon man, you are sounding like you are joining in on the narrow mindedness.  I.e. Just because something works for you, on the kind of riding/terrain you do, doesn't mean someone else doing the opposite thing is wrong.

I reckon there are xc race courses out there which would warrant a dropper post, not just for more fun, but as a genuine performance enhancer (i.e. increase competitiveness) for the majority of riders, including those with skills of the very elite.

Likewise, there would be courses where the extra weight of the dropper (dunno, about 300-400g?) would be felt too much of the climbs, and not sufficiently compensated on the descents, if they weren't the kind where a dropper helps.

For me, I have been running droppers for over 10 years - started with an original gravity dropper.  On my six inch trail bikes.  But I don't use one on my xc bikes, as the kind of courses I ride only have probably about ~2-3% of track that i would be faster on a dropper.  While I still have at least 5kg that i could lose off me (I might get close by September), I'd rather not be carrying that much unecessary weight on the bike for the other 98% of the course.  Having said that, I have recently been chickening out on a few obstacles, and taking the b line, but that was on my old 26er with 71 degree head angle, longer stem, where the front-tippy feeling moments seemed to be pretty often. 

I reckon we will increasingly find people running droppers on xc race bikes, probably as the weight comes down, and the course features get a bit hairier.  Will be a while for me though - I've now got a new slacker, shorter stemmed, bigger wheelled xc race bike that should get me through even more of the tough bits without feeling that I need stretchier arms and legs to get further back and lower.

bxcc:

--- Quote from: sclyde2 on April 29, 2018, 05:43:55 AM ---C'mon man, you are sounding like you are joining in on the narrow mindedness.  I.e. Just because something works for you, on the kind of riding/terrain you do, doesn't mean someone else doing the opposite thing is wrong.

--- End quote ---

Is this directed at me? I wasn’t trying to argue with anyone just pointing out the fact that it would be a deal breaker for a lot of people. I totally understand that people like to ride different styles of bike, that’s why I have 3 mountain bikes. But the comments of “get a trail bike if you want a dropper” and “I will run a dropper when the pro’s do” seems a bit off. My question asking if he was chasing podiums was not meant to be sarcastic. I was truly asking to see if they were looking for a dedicated race bike.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version