Chinese Carbon MTB > 29er

OXIVE Carbon Wheels build

<< < (2/4) > >>

sclyde2:
I have some super light ti Xpedo pedals.  I endured them for probably a couple seasons.  Were crap with either Shimano or xpedo cleats.  Hard to get into.  Hard to get out of.  Then then would release if I pulled to hard on them (can't remember if it was forward or back).  Took the ~100g hit with some xtr pedals and haven't looked back.

Jamesharden:
Anyway, got my first race on them last night. I can't say it was my best ever, it was one of my worst ever, I got an absolutely terrible start and I was popping out of my pedals, like having very-worn cleats. I've been using the shimano cleats with the xpedo pedals because up till now, they worked better with the shimano ones than the xpedo ones. I'm going to have to go back to the xpedo or just keep the shimano pedals on, which isn't a big deal. I think I was also suffering from the effects of the weekend gravel-grinder race, where I pulled an astounding 6th in the race. That by itself isn't very important to me, but the fact that I did it on a freaking fat-bike and the day after a 46 mile mountain bike ride made it one of those rare feats of athletic ability and I don't think I was anywhere near full recovery.

The race course was a mix of nordic ski trails that have very steep ups and downs and grass, which means lots of rolling resistance, then flow trails, then very rooty bootleg/original trails that were put in by hikers long before the system trails were established. This gave a pretty good mix of terrain. There were several sections to air out over doubles and table-tops and some high-G turns to really push the wheels into the berm, etc. Some of the rooty stuff was on the downhill, and some was on the uphill.

The wheels performed great. I didn't have the rear set up tubeless yet, but everything about the wheels performed great in the race. They were absolutely stiff enough for pushing hard at the expert XC level, no issues with confidence and boosting off of terrain. I really didn't think about them much, but they did feel a little more spritely while climbing and rolling than what I usually run. The setup saves some decent weight over my other XC wheelset.

I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, I think this is a pretty purpose-built wheelset, but for the application it worked great and I'm anxious to do some more races on them and see how they hold up.

OXIVECARBON:
every tks for the review, post some oxive wheelset

OXIVECARBON:
light weight version with black decal :)

xcfreak:

--- Quote from: OXIVECARBON on July 05, 2018, 01:16:14 AM ---light weight version with black decal :)

--- End quote ---

Greetings,

Was thinking of getting some carbon wheels for the Australian xc national season. Do you do complete wheel builds, or is it rim only?

Kind Regards,

Andrew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version