Chinese Carbon MTB > 29+ & 27+

29+ Carbon Speed CS-496 frame: BB questions

(1/3) > >>

ro7939:
I am ready to order new frame and just emailed Peter.

Does CS paint HT frames?  Approximate cost for a very bright green (almost flourescent)?

I presume the frame comes without a crank, but please confirm. 

Website specifies "BB92" bottom bracket.  I want to shop for a suitable carbon crank.  Exactly what do I shop for?  What specs do I need? 

Thanks very much!

BTW, I'm a Clyde (heavyweight), and the 29" carbon wheels Peter made for me have been rock solid, absolutely phenomenal, the strongest MTB wheels on which I ever rode.  Peter's service is fantastic, recommend 100%.   

tripleDot:
CS offers paint job for both HT & suspensioned frames. Iirc it was around US$50-60 for the first color, US$10 for each additional color... I think.

Frame doesn't come with crank or bb adaptor (or headset for that matter). It does comes with a thru-axle bolt. What type of crank to buy have a bit of flexibility as you can choose bb adaptor to match your crank size (or brand). Ex. In my case, I went with Shimano XT hollowtech cranks (non-boost) and got myself a BB92-BSA adaptor.

And congratulations... do post your build (with pictures)!

bxcc:
The Sram GXP cranks work nicely for BB92. Just got to get a Sram GXP BB92 bottom bracket. Both of my daughter's bikes have that setup and it's been flawless.

I definitely want to see pictures of the frame! The only thing holding me back on this frame is that BB92 is the only option. Not that it's a bad option, just that I can't run my Phil Wood eccentric BB for SS use. (Full disclaimer, I'm a huge fan of XMCarbon, but all the standard 29er frames have 440mm chainstays or longer. This one would work perfectly for a trail-ish 29er singlespeed in the short chainstay hole.)

ro7939:
IIRC I run Shimano M7000/M8000 cassette (11-46) on my CS rims, mounted to my Spec Fuse HT (nothing stock except the dropper post, which has been remarkably reliable considering my weight).  Is there any issue mounting a compatible 30T ring to the Sram GXP crank you mention?   

I plan to bring my current bike (Spec Fuse HT) and the new CS frame to one of my LBS to transplant parts.  I can't justify buying tools and spending days to do what reportedly takes them less than 2 hours.  I'm old and this is likely my last upgrade (famous last words).

Do you recommend a particular vendor for the GXP, or just the usual suspects like Chain Reaction?  I bought only my fork from CR but price and service was stellar.  I supported my LBS a lot, but for high end components I can't justify spending several hundred dollars more locally (my favorite LBS would not budge from SRP on a fork).  I saved about $300 buying my Magnum Manitou Pro fork from CR (a great fork and fantastic value for $500).

No reply from Peter since last week, he must be swamped. 

I was wanting day glo green, but it looked meh on a bike at my LBS Saturday (ordered new not-yet-shown at Bontrager website SE2 Team tires 29 x 2.6).  My first choice is "miami (day glo) blue" ala 2016 Trek Stache 5.       

Thanks for your help! 

bxcc:
Your cassette will be fine. The only thing you do NOT want to mix / match with is the shifter and derailleur, those need to be the same brand.

I would just have the shop source the BB. The retail is around $40 and since they are installing it, they can make a couple bucks off of it.
http://www.jensonusa.com/SramTruvativ-GXP-BB92-Bottom-Bracket?_br_psugg_q=gxp+bottom+bracket

Where are you located? You can not purchase Sram products from Europe anymore so you will have to look stateside. What length are you looking for? What's your budget? Carbon or aluminum? If it were me, I would probably go with this one. Carbon arms and a direct mount spider. Just pull the spider off and get the direct mount ring of your choice.
https://www.amazon.com/Truvativ-Speed-Silver-42-28T-Crankset/dp/B00553ZNS6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1529515261&sr=8-2&keywords=gxp+175

I hope that helps

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version