11 (64.7%)
iPhone but I'm considering switching.
1 (5.9%)
Android but I'm considering switching.
0 (0%)
iPhone is for girly man.
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: iPhone or Android??  (Read 9707 times)

MTNRCKT

Re: iPhone or Android??
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 10:48:36 PM »
I'm definitely an Apple fan boy. They just had their big yearly release event, today: http://www.apple.com/live/2014-sept-event/

Iphone 6 looks awesome, but I'm not so certain about the watch. We'll see.

SamSkjord

• Professional skjord racer. Powered by carrots.
    • View Profile
    • Cash4bones.com
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 04:29:19 AM »
I used Android for years but I wanted a way to upload files from my Garmin while bikepacking so I picked up a 3gs for £30 on ebay, I now have a 4s and the android devices are in a drawer. It's so much nicer when stuff 'just works', it also makes life so much easier given I already use OSX on the macbook and my hackintosh.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 06:10:57 AM »
My wife and I watched the Keynote speech last night, I will be upgrading to the iPhone 6 (not the 6 plus, it's too big) and my wife wants the Apple watch.

Until I saw the Keynote speech, I thought the watch was just another phone accessory, it's not.  The Apple watch has so many more functions than what's already on the market that I now see why Apple thinks they can get $349 for it.  The user interface is impressive for such a small device.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 10:30:05 AM »
Hmmm... for the first time ever I'm actually considering an Apple phone. Those are some seriously sexy looking gadgets, and it's about time they got some bigger screens.

I actually missed the keynote speech which I usually watch.. CD.. mind sharing what you think are some of the stand out features of the watch? They will have ZERO problems getting $349 for it, imo.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:31:42 AM by Sitar_Ned »

Vipassana

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 11:05:21 AM »
For those in the "It just works" camp: how you used a flagship Android powered phone made in the past two years?  I'm not talking a free-on-contract POS or a DROID 1 from 4 years ago, but have you used an HTC ONE, Samsung Galaxy S4/S5, Nexus 4/5, MotoX, Samsung Note 3/4 etc?  These phones are all EXTREMELY functional and perform every bit as good as the comparable iPhone (and better in many respects). 

I think the first two or three generations of Android devices were hit or miss and many were downright trash.  But they have come a LONG way in the past 2-3 years.  I think (my personal opinion) that they have come much further, much faster than their Apple counterparts.  So much so that I think there is no practical gap between them.  If anything, Apple is playing catch-up at this point.  This become obvious as you look at the features they are adding to iOS 8 and the screen size change.

It's a bummer that the first couple of generation of Android phones where so unpolished.  It turned a lot of people off to them.  And now these people claim to  feel too in-grained or "bought-into" the Apple ecosystem to leave.  The reality is that switching is actually very easy.  Most every major app is on both platforms or has a identical counterpart.  Media is easily transferred.  No one wants to give them a chance though.  It's also strange when people do take a chance, they often flip out about little nuances that they would accept on the iPhone, but profess to be insanely annoyed about on an Android phone.  It's at that stage, I realize those people just want the iPhone for the status/branding.  And that's fine.  But admit it.  Don't make excuses for why the Android counterpart is inferior.

I think the iPhone is a super solid product.  I would recommend it for my mom or others any day.  It is well built and well supported.  What annoys me about the thing though is the arrogance that often surrounds it.  It is not magical.  It is not superior.  It has several faults.  As do all devices. 

The arrogance of Apple and the brainwashing of it's userbase/blind fanfare drive me up the wall.  I've been paying with my phone for years.  YEARS.  Apple invented it yesterday and the media is giddy.  I was teased unmercifully about the size of my phones for years even after I tried to show them the benefits to a larger screen.  Those very people were discussing plans to buy the iPhone 6 Plus at dinner last night.  Incredible.  My boss walked over today to tell me all about the ultra secure "Secure Element" chip Apple installed for Apple Pay with the new iPhone 6.  I had to bite my tongue; Secure Element is NOT an Apple invention.  It has been around for years with successful implementation.  These are all minor, first-world problems in the scheme of life.  But they are certainly annoying.  :) 

I have a Nexus 5 from Google for what it's worth.  It's a fine phone.  I would recommend it to anyone.  It cost me $350 brand new unlocked.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:10:09 AM by Vipassana »

carbonazza

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 11:06:20 AM »
I started with a 3Gs.

Then I received a Nexus Android at a Google I/O conference, an switched.
Used it for about 2 years.

Although the processor was more powerful, it was somehow lagging compared to the 3Gs.
I read since that the screen of the iPhone were reacting twice as fast to touch compared to all other android phones on the market.
This is probably why they looked so better.

Now I have an iPhone 5, and looking for good reasons to explain my wife I want the 6 :)

Then I bought recently the Moto G for the kids.
I was very surprised how good they are for the price, and the new Android OS is far better than before.
And I'm seriously thinking to buy a Moto G or Moto E, as a bike computer.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 11:06:51 AM »
Hmmm... for the first time ever I'm actually considering an Apple phone. Those are some seriously sexy looking gadgets, and it's about time they got some bigger screens.

I actually missed the keynote speech which I usually watch.. CD.. mind sharing what you think are some of the stand out features of the watch? They will have ZERO problems getting $349 for it, imo.

User interface, something Apple does an amazing job with, appears to be designed very well.  Styling has three options for a broad appeal to nearly everyone.  Not mention the amount of customization.

The number of Apps will also be huge, and probably more useful than any other smart watch on the market, the level of IC integration looks to be a first for a watch.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:42:35 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Vipassana

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 12:03:59 PM »
There are already far more Android Wear apps for watches than there are iOS apps for watches.  And there will be for at least the next 4 months...

How can you say the UI is better on the Apple Watch without A) using one or even seeing any sort of finished product and B) using any of the new Android Wear devices?

Also, you can't seriously tell me that this:

Looks better than this:

;D

Vipassana

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 12:18:57 PM »
Although the processor was more powerful, it was somehow lagging compared to the 3Gs.
I read since that the screen of the iPhone were reacting twice as fast to touch compared to all other android phones on the market.
This is probably why they looked so better.

The response issue has been long resolved in recent revisions.  Side by side, the Nexus 5 is every bit as fluid as the iP5.  I would admit if there was a difference.  With my previous Android phones, it was noticeable.  It is now non-existent.

The MotoG is a really  nice piece of kit for the price.  The MotoX is far better, but you pay a bit more. 

The always listening feature on my wife's MotoX is incredible. She can wake it up from across the room with her voice "Ok Google".  It will not respond to my voice as it knows her voice.  How neat is that?  She sets alarms, appointments, reminders, responds to text messages while driving, and finds her phone when it is lost WITHOUT EVER TOUCHING THE PHONE!  When we ride our bikes on the road, the phone notifies her of text messages, gives her the option to read them to her, then allows her to dictate a response, WITHOUT TOUCHING THE PHONE!  It's super cool.  That's the type of innovation I love so much about Android and the Android OEMs.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:20:32 PM by Vipassana »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 12:43:41 PM »
There are already far more Android Wear apps for watches than there are iOS apps for watches.  And there will be for at least the next 4 months...

How can you say the UI is better on the Apple Watch without A) using one or even seeing any sort of finished product and B) using any of the new Android Wear devices?

Also, you can't seriously tell me that this:

Looks better than this:

;D

I work for Motorola...

Despite the obvious differences, Apple will outsell any other smartwatch by a factor of 10 to 1, just by the very fact that Apple has great marketing.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:45:51 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Vipassana

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 12:50:36 PM »
If you work for Motorola, I'm going to need some proof.  Say a Moto360... Or another MotoX... Send it my way.   ;D

And there is no doubt that Apple will outsell any of its competitors.  They produce a decent product with good support and their distribution channels are robust.  And above all else, they are phenomenal advertisers and are adept at capturing mindshare.  No one can deny them that.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 12:58:59 PM »
Sorry, unfortunately (or fortunately) I actually work for Motorola Solutions.  Some of the Mobility guys are in our building, but are now owned by Lenovo.  So technically Motorola as you may know it is not Motorola anymore.  They have been outsourced  :( to China.

My day to day cool products I work with look more like this:

2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Vipassana

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 01:09:28 PM »
Yeah, I was bummed about the sale to Lenovo.  I was unhappy with Google for that move.  It looks like my company is getting sold to the Germans. I hate to see these American greats disappear.  But onwards I suppose.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:20:51 PM by Vipassana »

Vipassana

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 01:23:05 PM »
I just found this picture.  This looks a bit more palatable than the candy blue band...  I still like the traditional round face.