Chinese Carbon MTB > 29er

Thru axle help

<< < (3/4) > >>

carbonazza:

--- Quote from: Kaliboy31 on August 07, 2018, 09:35:47 PM ---Hey everyone... Im new here and also looking for some help with my rear thru axle.  Im pretty much done building my first  CCB... It's  cs-496,  a hardtail, with boost spacing.  I bought a dt Swiss boost wheelset with an xd freehub and sram eagle 10-50t cassette.  But when mounted, there is a gap along the axle on the non drive side(disc side) between the rotor and the left side dropout. Like the end cap doesn't protrude beyond the rotor much... I feel like there should be a spacer or different end cap or something there.  Looks like everything should be over to the left.  Does anyone have any idea of what the problem is?

--- End quote ---
What DT Swiss hub model do you have ? If you compare your hub with a picture from the web, does it look all end caps/parts are there ?
Did you check if your hub is 148mm wide ?

woodsrider:

--- Quote from: carbonazza on August 08, 2018, 03:00:39 AM ---
--- Quote from: woodsrider on August 07, 2018, 07:22:10 PM ---1) I ordered a set of wheels from Peter and specified thru axle for rear and QR for front.  Front wheel came with thru axle hub.  It's a DT Swiss 350 hub (15x100).  Will something like this work to convert to 5x100 QR? 
https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Release-Skewers-Adapter-Conversion/dp/B072MH2BZF/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_468_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HCEEK5PZX310ASHC0P4Z&dpID=31w4lsodwRL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

--- End quote ---
DT Swiss is making their own, although much more expensive: https://r2-bike.com/DT-SWISS-Conversion-Kit-FW-350-370-Disc-Brake-to-Quick-Release
The ZTTO gives me the impression the hub could have some lateral float on the axle.

--- Quote from: woodsrider on August 07, 2018, 07:22:10 PM ---2) I am using a Shimano XT FC M-8000 chainring as 1x11 with XT cassette and derailleur.  I ended up with a SRAM PC X1 11 speed chain.  I have mixed Shimano and SRAM parts forever with no problems.  However, the chain will not ride on that ring.  Ideas?  It's not the chainline.

--- End quote ---
An 11sp chain of any brand will work. The problem is probably elsewhere.
Is the chainring new ?

--- End quote ---

All new parts.  The chain just simply does not want to mesh with the chain ring.  I found one article that said Shimano and SRAM parts are interchangeable except for 11 speed chains.  I don't know.   I have ordered a Shimano chain to try.

adbl:

--- Quote from: woodsrider on August 08, 2018, 06:39:41 AM --- I found one article that said Shimano and SRAM parts are interchangeable except for 11 speed chains.  I don't know.   I have ordered a Shimano chain to try.

--- End quote ---

I have had all kinds of chain issues in my riding past. The ONLY chain i will use now is the KMC X series chain. Not any of the lightweight ones either. All the lightweight chains give up too soon. Yes the standard X series chain is a little heavier but if you're counting that many grams then you should switch to road biking  :P And the KMC chains work well with all manufacturers. I've been pounding on mine for over a year now with no measurable stretch or shifting issues. I even use an oval chainring with narrow wide teeth.

FYI: Out of all the chains i have used the Shimano ones were by far the worst  :-\

woodsrider:

--- Quote from: adbl on August 08, 2018, 11:33:57 AM ---
--- Quote from: woodsrider on August 08, 2018, 06:39:41 AM --- I found one article that said Shimano and SRAM parts are interchangeable except for 11 speed chains.  I don't know.   I have ordered a Shimano chain to try.

--- End quote ---

I have had all kinds of chain issues in my riding past. The ONLY chain i will use now is the KMC X series chain. Not any of the lightweight ones either. All the lightweight chains give up too soon. Yes the standard X series chain is a little heavier but if you're counting that many grams then you should switch to road biking  :P And the KMC chains work well with all manufacturers. I've been pounding on mine for over a year now with no measurable stretch or shifting issues. I even use an oval chainring with narrow wide teeth.

FYI: Out of all the chains i have used the Shimano ones were by far the worst  :-\

--- End quote ---

At this point, I don't care about weight or which brand -  I just want something that works.  Good info, thanks.

woodsrider:
For the record, in case anyone else runs into the same problem, the Shimano XT chain works just fine.  I was pretty confident that there were no issues with the chain line and the new chain confirmed it.  So, if you are going to run a Shimano chainring as 1X11, you might want to get something besides a SRAM chain.
 I've never had an issue interchanging parts from the two manufacturers, until now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version