Chinese Carbon MTB > 26er & 27.5 (650b)

Need advice for frame size for my daughter

(1/2) > >>

ChrisCarbon:
Hey guys!

I need some advice for what frame size to buy for my daugther.
She is around 155cm.
Was thinking 15" in 26" wheelsize or even 27".
Anyone have a similar height kid maybe?  :)

chansen:
My daughter is 11 and the same height. I built up a 26er this spring with this frame:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cheap-price-stock-frame-2014-cube-frame-mtb-bike-frame-cube-mountian-bike-frame-size-14/32249756705.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1a694c4d4BbChj

Note that it takes a 27.5 fork, and the chainstays are only 5mm shorter than the similar 27.5 frame, so I'm thinking this frame is not really a 26er, but more like a 27.5er. If that appeals to you, go for it, because it was a nice frame to build up and inexpensive.

I wanted a 26er because I had some nice 26" wheels from an old race bike I could use. As she grows, we might get a little more use out of it by putting 27.5 rims on it with a longer stem.

Some others here have gone with the Tideace FM-M001, available from multiple sellers. There is a thread in this subforum on a build with this frame. If I did it again, I might go with this frame. That said, my daughter is quite happy with her bike. Built up, it's about 21 lbs, and that is a huge advantage for her over heavier kids bikes which can be north of 30 lbs.

ChrisCarbon:
Hey chansen!

Thanks for your reply :D

That is a very nice frame! I am in the same situation as you: I have a lot of bike parts laying around, carbon wheels 26er, bars, seatpost etc.
The plan is to build up a sweet 26er for her, then switch to 27.5er wheels after some years, just like you did. Add a longer stem as she grows. Hopefully she can keep this bike for some years.
She is only 9 at the moment, but the build will be a winter project, so she will get it next spring when she turns 10.
What size crankarms did you go for? I was thinking 155mm, but perhaps 160mm would be better.

bxcc:
My daughter is now 155cm as well. I would definitely stick with 15” frame or larger. Here is her bike that was last winters project. Even at 4 feet 11 inches, she fit fine.

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,1343.0.html

ldavies:

--- Quote from: chansen on August 17, 2018, 01:33:48 PM ---My daughter is 11 and the same height. I built up a 26er this spring with this frame:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cheap-price-stock-frame-2014-cube-frame-mtb-bike-frame-cube-mountian-bike-frame-size-14/32249756705.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1a694c4d4BbChj

Note that it takes a 27.5 fork, and the chainstays are only 5mm shorter than the similar 27.5 frame, so I'm thinking this frame is not really a 26er, but more like a 27.5er. If that appeals to you, go for it, because it was a nice frame to build up and inexpensive.

I wanted a 26er because I had some nice 26" wheels from an old race bike I could use. As she grows, we might get a little more use out of it by putting 27.5 rims on it with a longer stem.

Some others here have gone with the Tideace FM-M001, available from multiple sellers. There is a thread in this subforum on a build with this frame. If I did it again, I might go with this frame. That said, my daughter is quite happy with her bike. Built up, it's about 21 lbs, and that is a huge advantage for her over heavier kids bikes which can be north of 30 lbs.

--- End quote ---

I would be interested in knowing if you have tried to fit a 27.5" wheel into the rear dropouts with a reasonable sized tire.  Now that you have the bike you can know if it would fit.  That woudl really make this a perfect upgrade frame maybe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version