Chinese Carbon MTB > 29+ & 27+

P8 Geometry change? Now known as P1

(1/4) > >>

emu26:
Does anyone know if the P8 has had a geometry change?  I ask because the chart I have been given for the P8 is different from that on the Ican site.

Of note, the BB drop seems to have changed from 48mm to 24.1mm, the 48mm was what was holding me back from getting one. I would be interested at 24mm.  Have asked Ican but not received any response.

https://www.icanbikes.com/html/MTB/27_5ER_frame/334.html#bk_desc_tab

Edit 28/10: ammended the title.

Bos:
That is interesting.

I have a P8 MK I which I enjoy. If I had to complain about something, the slack seat angle and yes maybe the rockstrikes.  I live in a very rocky area and I do get quite a lot of rock strikes, however I'm not always sure if 20mm would have made the difference... only way to know is to compare against another bike. The lower centre of gravity might do more good than bad. The Width of the Plus size seat stays are just massive, and might be reason alone to get the now version since they toned it down a bit (it actually touched on my buddy's calves, luckily I hardly have any so I'm ok. .

After reading the review of the Heller bikes "Bargheist" (http://reviews.mtbr.com/heller-barghest-plus-bike-review )I asked Melody at ICAN if it was a P9 seatstay and Rocker link they were using and If its available seperately.

She answered as follows:

For the frame P8 ,we will have a new version ,a little change for the seat stay and the triangle ,and the bottom bracket will be higher from the ground
Later will send you geometric chart

Seat stay ,triangle link and screws ,US$120/set
Will be ready in early Sep if book now

However, She now tells me its not available separately anymore.

emu26:
Bos, thanks for the reply.

Can I just clarify that you are saying that there has definitely been a revision to the geometry and that what I have posted is actually the new geometry chart?  That you also believe there has been a change to the width of the seatstays  with the newer version now being narrower?  Do you know if that is a change to just the external width or does also change the maximum tyre size? 

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious it's just I having a lot of trouble getting clarification from the person I am speaking to and have tried several times to contact ICAN directly without a response to date.  What email address are you using for them?  As a side note I have been talking to this ebay seller for a while and originally it was Melody but it changed about 3 weeks ago and now is "Debby". Since that change there has been numerous changes she has made to the original ebay listing, sadly also upping the price about $150A.

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

Bos:
Sorry for the clumsy geo figures but what I had Is the below.
So It does seem there are slight changes like reach, stack etc..slight tweaks
As far as the clearance goes, Im not sure. What tires are you looking to run? It looks like the pic on the Ican website is updated as well? It looks like it has  a curve in the seatstay just before the rocker pivot, similar to the P9 and Barghest bikes. if you look at the similarities in the pics I attached. However one cant be sure, Its a bit frustrating not being able to get proper answers from them.

I am speaking to them directly and bought direct from them. What bike are you coming off? Personally, I was looking for a one bike quiver kind of setup and I'm really happy. Like I said, one or two things could have changed, slightly, but its working fine for me and I'm already able to rip down trails that I could never have dreamt of previously (110mm bike) while staying reasonably happy with the long ride performance, although a second wheelset would sort that out.

There's another thread on the P8 that you might have seen, about 4 of us uploaded our experiences building, but don't hesitate to ask. (some pics from that thread)

ICAN P8
travel F                  120
travel R                  120
Toptube                  630
reach                  450
wheelbase                  1183
chainstay                   446
Bbdrop   
BB height                   320
Head tube Angle   68
Seat tube angle           74

Bos: