Chinese Carbon MTB > Fat Bikes

General fat bike questions and advice on specific frame recommendations

(1/1)

Flying Trunk Monkey:
Hi all, I'm not well versed in all of the fat bike standards so I have several general questions about that which will hopefully lead me picking a chiner frame to build.

What I want (...or what I think I want unless you guys give me better advice)

Honestly I DO NOT think I want an actual fat bike, but I do want a bike that will provide LOTS of tire clearance (for fenders and mud) for up to 3" 29er tires.
1) Could I build a fat bike with either 27.5" or 29" and mount 3" tires on it? Realistically I'd more than likely run a 2.2-2.6 29" tire but I'd like the option to run a 3" and could buy a 27.5 wheel set if necessary.

It seems symmetric 170mm rear hub frames are the direction things are going toward now.
2) Is there a symmetric, hard tail, 170mm frame with a 100mm BB available?

Heck, for my needs I could likely do well with a narrower 142 or 146mm rear hub but I'm assuming they don't make a fat bike frame that will take such a hub.

Are there any other options I should be aware of? I'm assuming 100mm is the narrowest BB width for a fatty but my preference would be to go as narrow as possible.

lRaphl:
Looking at your needs, you should look for a 29+ instead since you want to run 29x3" as the biggest tires.

For hub spacing, I think 197 rear and 150 front is where everthing is aiming right now in order to fit big tires like the Snowshoe XXL (26x5.05").

Flying Trunk Monkey:

--- Quote from: lRaphl on December 11, 2018, 01:30:25 PM ---Looking at your needs, you should look for a 29+ instead since you want to run 29x3" as the biggest tires.

For hub spacing, I think 197 rear and 150 front is where everthing is aiming right now in order to fit big ts like the Snowshoe XXL (26x5.05").

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the reply, after doing some Googling it appears you are correct in saying that almost everything moving toward 197mm rear hubs. I really want the option for wider tires with clearance without the chainstay length that the big tire capable 197mm hub frames come with. I might be looking at a custom design.

emu26:
I would suggest then that you look at a 27.5+ frame, there are several options available in these that allow you to run 27.5 x 3 rear tyres, and some that only go to 2.8, most seem to be with boost spacing so 148mm hubs.  The 27.5 + will get you a diameter close to, but not quite, a "standard" 29er wheel / tyre combo, it also then allows you to run a normal 29er wheel / tyre combo if you find you don't like the feel of the + size rubber without having to fork out for a new frame.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version