Chinese Carbon MTB > Fat Bikes

Crank for 120mm fat bike frame bottom bracket

<< < (2/2)

Joelk:
120mm bottom bracket precludes the use of 1x 170mm next SL cranks on a 190/197 rear like I, and many others, have been running on 100mm bb frames (Borealis 190qr, then Borealis 197ta, frames for me).

ETA:  Sorry, I saw this in active topics and did not mean to post in a 120mm bb thread. 
That said, I think that the frame makers would be better off making 100mm bb frames as they can be spaced to 120 or used at 100.  I looked at Chinese fat frames and gave up as the 100mm bb frames did not fit 5" tires, such as the Bud and Lou, and the 120mm bb frames could not run 170  1x  cranks like my Borealis frame.

cmh:

--- Quote from: Joelk on December 28, 2014, 10:30:38 PM ---120mm bottom bracket precludes the use of 1x 170mm next SL cranks on a 190/197 rear like I, and many others, have been running on 100mm bb frames (Borealis 190qr, then Borealis 197ta, frames for me).

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that's true, it would be a problem for folks with existing cranks. If your Next SL cranks are the new Cinch standard, though, you could swap out the axle for the longer one and be good. If you couldn't do that and re-used the cranks from a 170mm bike, you might have chainline issues, especially running a granny gear and a maximum-width tire.

--- Quote ---ETA:  Sorry, I saw this in active topics and did not mean to post in a 120mm bb thread. 
That said, I think that the frame makers would be better off making 100mm bb frames as they can be spaced to 120 or used at 100.  I looked at Chinese fat frames and gave up as the 100mm bb frames did not fit 5" tires, such as the Bud and Lou, and the 120mm bb frames could not run 170  1x  cranks like my Borealis frame.

--- End quote ---

Well it looks like the new N019 addresses both of those issues - although we haven't seen that it will actually clear the Bud/Lou combo.

I'm sure there's a reason that most mainstream 190mm frames stick with the 100mm BB that I don't realize - maybe they're just trying to stick to a standard for once - so sticking with the 100mm seems to make sense.

wind_dre:
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a 120mm BB bike and I'm wondering with BB do you use ?  I'm not able to find any taht fits !!
I visited differents webs: chain reaction cycles, wiggle, bikeinn, deporvillage...

Thanks in advance !!

cmh:

--- Quote from: wind_dre on April 07, 2016, 03:50:34 AM ---Hi guys,

I'm looking for a 120mm BB bike and I'm wondering with BB do you use ?  I'm not able to find any taht fits !!
I visited differents webs: chain reaction cycles, wiggle, bikeinn, deporvillage...

Thanks in advance !!

--- End quote ---

I'm too lazy to read my previous replies, but I'm guessing that you were too, I think we already discussed this. A bike with a 120mm BB shell uses a normal bottom bracket, and doesn't need the 10mm spacers on both sides to accommodate the wider cranks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version