Other Resources > After The Ride

Before the ride...

(1/3) > >>

Carbon_Dude:
I know this forum is titled, "After the Ride", however I thought I would start up a before the ride discussion.

Prior to today's ride I:

1) Greased my shock mounting pivots (still chasing a creaking sound).
2) Added more Stans to my front tire, was loosing too much air overnight.
3) Re-aligned my front brake caliper (had a light squeak from the rotor).
4) Cleaned my bike (it was a mess) but it's going to get dirty again today :).
5) Re-routed the cable to my bike computer sensor, getting too close to the tire.
6) Checked tire pressure.
7) Lubed my chain (I've been liking White Lightening Clean Ride.  Good lubricant for dry/damp conditions.  Doesn't pick up much dirt during the ride.

On a side note, I also replaced my chain.  Had my XX1 chain break on the last ride, luckily another rider had a temporary master link that she let me have to get me out to the parking lot.

Talked to the LBS and they called SRAM about the chain breaking since it was still relatively new.  SRAM sent out a replacement and we sent the old one back to SRAM for them to look at.  Chain was about 2 month old with less than 20 rides (200 miles) on it.  Seemed like a premature failure to me.  Or possibly something I did when I sized the chain when I built the bike.  Either way, got a new chain and it's good to go.

So, does anyone else do much maintenance between rides?

MTB2223:
"Before the ride" I'm always in a hurry. So, I tried to do all the maintenance directly or the day after the ride, which is:
- clean up de bike, especially the chain, FD and RD.
- after cleanup the chain and before the chain lube, I'll dry the chain with an old towel.
- lube the chain
- check the brake pads and replace them when needed.

On monthly basis:
- degrease chain completely. Lube chain again.
- check chain wear.
- replace chain with second chain.
- check for play in wheels, bb and headset.

On half year basis:
- bearing maintenance, hubs, bb and headset.

When something pops up during a ride, I spend more time during the week for this extra maintenance.

Inertia:
 8)
Great Idea!
Pre-checking can never be a bad thing; and
I would encourage the use of a headlamp w/very bright
intensity to assist in the inspection of the stress areas of your
frame. Adding a point for consideration during per-construction:
the use of magnaflux or zygglo inspection (as applicable) to
critical metal parts.

Creaking may be something as simple as metal
to metal contact (non critical) such as the handle bar intersection w/stem
(hope that's right)...I worked on a Raleigh that had this issue. It spooked me:
as I'm weighing in at 230+ so noises cause me concern ref. encroachment on safety factors.
After loosen'g and re-tighting associated frasteners I wish I had a proper torque wrench to re-torque the fastener.
SInce the shifters and brakes are attached I was reluctant to remove everything fearing making new problems.
But encourage the use of Lacquerer thinner to preclean/degrease metal parts and find out what lube is applicable
to threads and I even would go as far as getting the spec. for torquing. Over kill you say
perhaps but when AMerican Manufactures in the early to mid 70's were still sorta made in the USA orientated
here-in is my point: building 7000-10000 rpm small block Chevy motors one of the shops protocols was 100%
magnaflux inspection of GM Bolts...all of em. Applicable and usable for day to day motors but when encroaching
on the demands of components ( and I see this in the arena of Carbon'hitechmetal biking) there was an ov'r 80%
rejection of Rod bolts alone. This following degrease then shoot peening followed by the Magnaflux.

What if your creaking is the telegraphing from your crank-set up through the frame (acting like a musical instrument) to amplify
this? Noise may indeed be a per-cursor to a problem so yes indeed checking is never wrong.

I could go on about the possibilities but here again you all are a quantum lep ahaead of me
on the function/build-ride.

Great idea for a thread as ya call it?

bugging out...to the reality of a sewer day of sorts: no hi-tech here just the worst of things
to engage in. Hide y Ho!

MTB2223:

--- Quote from: Inertia on July 23, 2014, 07:59:30 AM ---I would encourage the use of a headlamp w/very bright
intensity to assist in the inspection of the stress areas of your
frame. Adding a point for consideration during per-construction:
the use of magnaflux or zygglo inspection (as applicable) to
critical metal parts.
--- End quote ---
That's a nice one. Good idea! Thnx

jonxmack:
Always tyre pressure, 18psi front, 21psi back, come rain or shine that's my go to pressure.

Apart from that it's the standard. Kit up, bottle filled, phone and keys in my jersey pouch, headphones in and music on, hit the go on the Garmin and smash the trails.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version