Author Topic: Tantan TT-X16 aero model  (Read 6973 times)

C_frame

Tantan TT-X16 aero model
« on: March 20, 2019, 10:55:45 PM »
Tantan have a new aero disc model TT-X16, anyone have experience with this frames?

http://www.tantancycling.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=view&p_id=670

mesosbrodleto

Re: Tantan TT-X16 aero model
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 10:10:52 AM »
Tantan have a new aero disc model TT-X16, anyone have experience with this frames?

my advice, as a tantan customer: it's better to look for other dealers. Their quality control is poor, and the customer service is not able to help you in solving frame issues.

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 11:05:26 AM »
@mesosbrodleto, others here were generally happy from TanTan if I remember well

sissypants

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 05:12:07 PM »

my advice, as a tantan customer: it's better to look for other dealers. Their quality control is poor, and the customer service is not able to help you in solving frame issues.

That's interesting to hear. What were your specific issues?  If you had problems, I might be able to make it right as I have some leverage over there.

I've worked with them for upwards of 2 years, sold a load of frames/wheelsets, and only had a handful of warranty issues, all of which were resolved promptly. There is the occasional delay or holiday frustration, but that's the exception not the rule. Of the many factories I've worked with, they have the best record.

mesosbrodleto

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 03:59:43 PM »

That's interesting to hear. What were your specific issues?  If you had problems, I might be able to make it right as I have some leverage over there.

I've worked with them for upwards of 2 years, sold a load of frames/wheelsets, and only had a handful of warranty issues, all of which were resolved promptly. There is the occasional delay or holiday frustration, but that's the exception not the rule. Of the many factories I've worked with, they have the best record.

Had an issue with the rear derailleur hanger: the hole on the frame seems to be not properly aligned. Mounting the rear wheel is not straightforward. I tried to explain with photos and videos, but I just got a "go to a bike shop" as answer. Very disappointing.

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 09:01:50 AM »
Had an issue with the rear derailleur hanger: the hole on the frame seems to be not properly aligned. Mounting the rear wheel is not straightforward. I tried to explain with photos and videos, but I just got a "go to a bike shop" as answer. Very disappointing.

Do you have a link to the video/pictures ?

mesosbrodleto

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 07:45:33 AM »
In the image attached: the hole on the the rear hanger is too close to the center, so the bolt is not properly aligned and the thread is almost stripped now. The red arrow indicate the last cog, that is too close to the bolt: when the bolt is tight, it is almost impossible to install the wheel. Viceversa, if I install the wheel, tighten the thru axle, and then try to tighten  the hanger bolt, it is impossible because the two holes are not aligned.

I do not know if I managed to be clear enough to explain. However, another tantan customer from italy had a similar issue (reported in another forum). The answer from tantan was the same: go to a bike shop.

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 03:25:13 AM »
I just had an issue with the last cog of a cassette touching the frame when tightening a new rear wheel.
It was due to the axle of the hub that was too much on the left side.
I contacted the hub maker and they sent me some shims to add that will move the axle for a few mm. Waiting for them to arrive.

With your small picture, it is not easy to see what's going on here with your frame.
But just to say that the problem you face maybe elsewhere, and if you don't see a solution, maybe as they say, going to an LBS you trust could provide ideas or even a solution.

mesosbrodleto

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 02:39:15 AM »

With your small picture, it is not easy to see what's going on here with your frame.
But just to say that the problem you face maybe elsewhere, and if you don't see a solution, maybe as they say, going to an LBS you trust could provide ideas or even a solution.

I built other frames, from other chinese dealers, and I di not had such issues. However, tough i've been as gentle as possible on asking to the customer, I started having no answer from Lisa (tan tan sales person). They blocked me from their social media account and started to ignore my emails. It is a bit disappointing. I would not recommend this dealer.

lukwy

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 01:40:15 AM »
Hi, has anyone got this frame and could share feelings about it?
I've just started looking for "aero" disc frame with long base (I hate toe overlap) and this measurement looks good.
One thing wonder me: unusual head angle as for a road frameset...
FS: Carbonda FM936, XT/SLX 1x12, 2.4
Gravel: TanTan GR045, GRX820/105 2x12, 700x35c

Keto Cyclist

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 09:44:06 PM »
I have a TT X1 that I purchased through the help of SissyPants.

Ordering, delivery went smooth.

1st build... also smooth.

I like the bike.  It has helped me get several KOMs including one that I took from a TDF rider by 12s over 1/2 mile.  I even got a climbing KOM (albeit a not very popular one) & I am a sprinter (at anywhere from 165 to 195lbs depending on time of year).

It is fast.  It's on ICAN 55m tubeless 25mm GP5000s.  105.

I don't have a "real" bike to compare it to.  I went form a Trek Hybrid to an entry level Giant a size too big, to this.

My only complaints are

1 - Seat tube (didn't see that coming did you?) - Fix = Plastic Shim Stock .015"

2 - Not as stiff as I was hoping.  I burned holes in the sidewalls of my 28mm GPs from hills & sprints.  This also wore the paint away in the chain stays & even started cutting into the carbon itself...  Hence the 25s now.

Other than that I dig it.  I am now looking to build an aero disk with SRAM AXS.  I like the looks of Seraph & Sissy is cool to work with.

I am not sure I am going this route though as this will likely be my last build & my "forever" bike (unless I get a Time Trial).  I need it to be stiff.  I want KOMs & I want to be able to ride a century a few times a year.

** tried to post pics... they are too large **

lukwy

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 04:58:09 AM »
@Keto Cyclist
thanks for sharing your experience of using Tantan frame in general. SissyPants also helped me much describing different Tantan frame.
I've finally ordered TT-X16 and now I am waiting for shipping. It has thru bolts and max 32mm clearance, so I hope I will not rub my GP 5000 28mm :)
Beside I'm not a sprinter. I can imagine the stiffness of BB area can be lower than in my former alu road frame, but it shouln't be an issue for me.
I also took Tantan 55/28 rims to build wheels later.
My only concern building this bike is if I can use my post-mount calipper using adapter. Perheps not couse the rear triangle is low.
Someone tell me should I start looking for FM calippers?

imperyal

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 10:54:05 AM »
@lukwy
How is your  TT-X16 experience going?

lukwy

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 08:59:32 AM »
Hi,
just 3 weeks have passed since I build it, so my experience isn't much. Still I am looking for some parts, f.e. crankset, couse I ride 1x 42t front (with 11-25 cassette).
I have comparision only to one alloy road bike which I sell a year ago (and two carbon frames but MTB  - ICAN and Pro-Mance). Tantan frame seems to be well built, much comfortable than alloy for sure.
Avg speed is very similar. I don't expected much difference since it is "only" aero frame. Rest of the set isn't so aero :) The stiffness is enough for my weight at 69-70kg.
I'm riding alloy wheels with rims DT RR421 with Conti GP5000 28mm tubeless tires. Front fork can manage with 32mm tire for sure, but rear triangle I think can hold even 35mm.
I had an issue with slipping seatpost, but electrical tape helped in it. I like the headtube angle, it is more like old MTB :) At last without hands riding is easy. The old bike was very nervous.
This frame is 57cm long and 53cm high. I am 180 tall with 85cm inseam. The size is max I could ride. I don't like small frames. Big frame and slack (as for road bike) head angle with short stem - perfect for me.
Overall I don't regret the purchase, but contact with Tantan wasn't the best :)
On the occasion with frame I bought Tantan aero rims 25x55mm 24H (18,5-19 mm inner width) which are waiting for rest of parts. I heard that ZTTO is to release road disc hubs with ratchet system called R2 - info from Aliexpress Ztto shop.
Maybe it is worth waiting...

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2021, 07:32:56 PM »
@lukwy

how is your build going? i have been thinking about getting a tt-x16 too. would you be able to post some build pictures?