Author Topic: Build Log - Carbonda hard tail for daughter's birthday.  (Read 310 times)

Kommandant33

Build Log - Carbonda hard tail for daughter's birthday.
« on: May 02, 2024, 02:30:15 AM »
Well, my wonderful child has just turned 12, and having 2 parents over 6' - she has been growing like a weed.

She currently rides a Polygon Cleo 2 in XS that she got for her 8th birthday which has rapidly become too small for her.

After joining this forum, lurking and looking at AliExpress I thought it would be a good opportunity to use the collective knowledge of the forums and build my daughter a lightweight Chinese carbon bike!

My goal is pretty simple - I want to build a 29er bike that will last a good few years, and I want to to be as light (or lighter) than her current bike (XS frame, 27.5" wheels), I want it to be comfortable and capable on suburban streets, but I also want her to be able to to come riding with me on the MTB trails.

So I have started making purchases, and should hopefully have it ready to ride in a month or so.

Frame
I have gone with the Carbonda FM1306a.
I had sent an email to Wing last year enquiring about one of these frames for myself - but heard nothing back - that is when I found out that the emails had most likely ended up in my junk mail! Wing has been an absolute dream to deal with, super quick with replies, very detailed and helpful.
The frame ended up costing a bit more than I had hoped (US$230 shipping is a hard pill to swallow), and I also paid extra for the chameleon paint scheme as my daughter had requested it.

Fork
I was lucky to snap up a second hand RockShox SID off Facebook marketplace for AU$450. It was un-used, and taken off a 2024 Giant Anthem Advanced 29 3.

Wheels
I bought some EliteWheels off AliExpress - I will add more details later.

Brakes
ZTTO MTB Team Brakes in Silver and Gold.

I will update this post over the coming days with more information - been stuck busy at work...

Ludo

Re: Build Log - Carbonda hard tail for daughter's birthday.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 02:58:20 AM »
That’s my kind of dad! Nice built sheet, she will surely enjoy it!

gf

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 03:15:26 AM »
Great! Let us know your feedback on EliteWheels from aliexpress

jever98

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 01:13:03 PM »
Love it! I recently built a Carbonda FM1001 for my wife. Your daughter is lucky!

If it's not too big for her: the Elita1 Specialized Power clone is an amazing deal. <120g for the saddle, padded, costs about $20-25. I also had good luck with Toseek carbon handlebars.

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:56:14 AM »
Love it! I recently built a Carbonda FM1001 for my wife. Your daughter is lucky!

...Elita1 Specialized Power clone...

Do you have the link around ?

jever98

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:18:52 AM »
ELITA ONE Carbon Saddle MTB/Road Bike saddle Super Light Leather Carbon Cushions 96g
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Exam3oT

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:39:59 AM »
ELITA ONE Carbon Saddle MTB/Road Bike saddle Super Light Leather Carbon Cushions 96g
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Exam3oT
Interestingly, the saddles at your link are about 60% cheaper than where I've been buying them for years: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808616991.html

At first, I couldn't spot any differences, as the shop has the same name.
Now, I'm wondering which one is the official store?  ;D

On my link, they provide excellent communication and replacements in case of a faulty product