Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375094 times)

adroitrider

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #1770 on: July 22, 2021, 10:40:17 AM »
just took delivery of a superlight FM936 (XL matt black)
It weighs in at around 2.15kg which I was a bit surprised at(though did have all spacers other than rear axel in place), has anyone else weighed their carbon frame?

My other question is fitment of the headset bearings,

https://imgur.com/a/PpyGDTy

That is as flush as I can get it, and is not a tight fitment at all i.e. will fall out under its own weight - not like any pressfit bearing I have used before!

appreciate any response

Cheers

My XL SL was 2012g with axle and frame/shock spacer removed. I might have removed the derailleur hanger too.

The head set isn’t press fit. The head tube has angular contact with the headset creating the tension you need.

How tall are you and what is your inseam measurement? What is your current bike and size?

areid280

« Reply #1771 on: July 22, 2021, 02:46:38 PM »
My XL SL was 2012g with axle and frame/shock spacer removed. I might have removed the derailleur hanger too.

The head set isn’t press fit. The head tube has angular contact with the headset creating the tension you need.

How tall are you and what is your inseam measurement? What is your current bike and size?

Ok so sounds about right then frame weight

I ride an old school cube reaction GTC 26er carbon 2013 - its a bit long in the tooth, but has served me well as an XC whip

I'm 193cm, not sure on inseam tbh though I take an 33" trouser leg

Shinso

« Reply #1772 on: July 23, 2021, 05:43:24 AM »
Not sure if I can include this here or not! I was looking to buy an FM936 but then this barely used Vitus came up on eBay at a great price.  I added some of my carbon parts (ElitaOne post, Romin Pro, Deda bar, Uno stem) plus set up my Conti tyres (2.4 X Cross RaceSport & 2.2 Race King Protection) tubeless.  Have since removed the lock outs as I never used them.  My old XTR pedals blew up on a test ride so awaiting a Zeray set and also a Fovno Ghost.  Even as it stands the bike is 11.1kg for a size small which I think is pretty great for a £1,500 buy!

It rides amazingly.  Replacing a hardtail Boardman Pro 29er it is much more confident but still playful efficient feeling.  I thought it might be like a tank with a longer wheelbase (even moving from a medium Boardman to a small FM936 it is longer), but this is not the case.

I even think the paint looks pretty good!

theirishrider

« Reply #1773 on: July 23, 2021, 06:01:24 AM »
Not sure if I can include this here or not! I was looking to buy an FM936 but then this barely used Vitus came up on eBay at a great price.  I added some of my carbon parts (ElitaOne post, Romin Pro, Deda bar, Uno stem) plus set up my Conti tyres (2.4 X Cross RaceSport & 2.2 Race King Protection) tubeless.  Have since removed the lock outs as I never used them.  My old XTR pedals blew up on a test ride so awaiting a Zeray set and also a Fovno Ghost.  Even as it stands the bike is 11.1kg for a size small which I think is pretty great for a £1,500 buy!

It rides amazingly.  Replacing a hardtail Boardman Pro 29er it is much more confident but still playful efficient feeling.  I thought it might be like a tank with a longer wheelbase (even moving from a medium Boardman to a small FM936 it is longer), but this is not the case.

I even think the paint looks pretty good!

That's an unreal price! wow!    I'm very impressed by the weight, my L with carbon wheels, Full XT, no lockout is 11.something !  It's a great bike enjoy.   One thing I'd like to see is CRC/Wiggle put the replacement pivot parts online because I need a new bottom sex bolt!

Shinso

« Reply #1774 on: July 23, 2021, 06:11:21 AM »
I guess there were a couple of other light parts - ESI grips, Ashima rotors, Exustar expander / top cap plus it's the SL version in size small. ..

I was going to bin the wheels as I miss my 54t Ztto ratchet - but these wide 29mm DT Swiss rims are actually quite nice.  Will keep them for a bit before taking the plunge for some Chiner carbon.

Shinso

« Reply #1775 on: July 23, 2021, 08:36:13 AM »
It came fitted to the bike as standard, it's a Oneloc.  Can't say I used or liked it, 150 grams doing nothing but cluttering up my handlebar...

areid280

« Reply #1776 on: August 02, 2021, 04:35:10 AM »
Hi All,

So looks like I have made a mistake with the shock I have bought

I didn't realise the lower mount was for a non trunnion based shock!

Having bought a monarch RT3 (see attached)

Having never owned a FS bike, I'm learning quickly there are a lot of proprietary options!! made more of a headache given the shortage of mid end equipment at retailers

Can anyone advise on if a trunnion adaptor exists, or has drawn up the design to have machined?

Many thanks

zilcho

« Reply #1777 on: August 02, 2021, 01:05:48 PM »
Hi All,

So looks like I have made a mistake with the shock I have bought

I didn't realise the lower mount was for a non trunnion based shock!

Having bought a monarch RT3 (see attached)

Having never owned a FS bike, I'm learning quickly there are a lot of proprietary options!! made more of a headache given the shortage of mid end equipment at retailers

Can anyone advise on if a trunnion adaptor exists, or has drawn up the design to have machined?

Many thanks

Your shock is not a trunnion shock and the FM936 does not use proprietary mounting.  Adaptors exist but you would need to verify the length is compatible, I don't know if it's a direct equivalent with the adaptor installed.  Something like this:  https://www.dirtlabs.com/products/copy-of-trek-trunnion-mount-adapter-kit
There are other/cheaper options, just first that came up in a search.

areid280

« Reply #1778 on: August 02, 2021, 03:08:27 PM »
OK thanks for the response, apologies you are right, I have got it back to front.

I needed a trunnion mount shock, and have mistakenly ordered a standard mount.

Liter

« Reply #1779 on: August 02, 2021, 04:03:29 PM »
Was going to order a S3 but I think I will end up with the FM936 as they have a Shock in stock, been reading the thread and you make some interest remarks on the frame. I think you are close to 1.8M and went with the M correct? I might ride a lot of gravel/dirt road how does this bike feel at top pedaling compared to a marathon bike? Also any tips on the build? I plan to go cheap either SLX or Sram NX but with Shimano brakes.

thanks

I did participate to the Grand Rallye VTT Transverdon in France with my FM-936.
80 riders, 5 days, moving camping, 16 descents, 6000m climbing and 8000 descending.

Here's my FM-936 put on steroid for the occasion, 36mm rims, Magic Mary in front and Hans Dampf in the back( wanted Maxxis like everyone else, but didn't find in stock ).
203mm/180mm disc rotors.

The bike and myself survived!
It was clearly out of our league, but I improved day by day.
I lost one pivot screw, a zip kept the pivot in place. I should have lock threaded them all...
Broke my GPS mount at the first crash( crashed 3x ).
And bent the hanger twice and put it back straight.

So if someone doubt over the solidity of this frame, don't !

I'm afraid I will need a FM1166 for the future  ::)

carbonazza

« Reply #1780 on: August 04, 2021, 07:43:20 AM »
Was going to order a S3 but I think I will end up with the FM936 as they have a Shock in stock, been reading the thread and you make some interest remarks on the frame. I think you are close to 1.8M and went with the M correct? I might ride a lot of gravel/dirt road how does this bike feel at top pedaling compared to a marathon bike? Also any tips on the build? I plan to go cheap either SLX or Sram NX but with Shimano brakes...

I'm 1,78m, but 89cm inseam. Chances are you have shorter legs(with longer torso), so you might consider an L too.
My stem is 65mm integrated with the bar, and the seatpost is straight.
I bought this bike as a marathon bike that means for me, relatively mild mountain biking but long.
It works well for that, when doing 70 - 100km rides, I don't feel as destroyed as I was on my hardtail.
And after a week of MTB, I have a hard time to appreciate again the roughness of my road or gravel bikes.

I've done a few cheaper builds mainly with these components:
RockShox Judy, the recent SLX or XT brakes, SRAM GX mechanical group, bitex wheelset, Stylo 6K Eagle crankset, and aliexpress: elita seatpost, uno stem, og-evkin bar, EC-90 saddles, ZERAY pedals...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 09:08:33 AM by carbonazza »

Shinso

« Reply #1781 on: August 04, 2021, 09:34:55 AM »
Have to say those Zeray pedals are complete junk: they look good and are light, but the sleeve DU bearings are not good enough.  Back to Shimano for me.

Liter

« Reply #1782 on: August 04, 2021, 11:10:52 AM »
I'm 1,78m, but 89cm inseam. Chances are you have shorter legs(with longer torso), so you might consider an L too.
My stem is 65mm integrated with the bar, and the seatpost is straight.
I bought this bike as a marathon bike that means for me, relatively mild mountain biking but long.
It works well for that, when doing 70 - 100km rides, I don't feel as destroyed as I was on my hardtail.
And after a week of MTB, I have a hard time to appreciate again the roughness of my road or gravel bikes.

I've done a few cheaper builds mainly with these components:
RockShox Judy, the recent SLX or XT brakes, SRAM GX mechanical group, bitex wheelset, Stylo 6K Eagle crankset, and aliexpress: elita seatpost, uno stem, og-evkin bar, EC-90 saddles, ZERAY pedals...

Went with the M :D lol after testing a Spark (not the RC) I thought the L was too big for me, the M felt more inside the bike. So I used that feeling to compare the geometry at Geomterygeeks and I found that the Carbonda size medium has a longer reach than the Spark in size large. (Spark Size L 470MM vs Carbonda M 475MM)

As for the build I went with SLX, was having a hard time finding GX, for the Fork I found a relatively cheap SID and for wheels I will probably go with Elitewheels carbon.

Elita Seatpost is a dropper post? Will have a look at them thanks

https://geometrygeeks.bike/

kisuke3

« Reply #1783 on: August 05, 2021, 03:00:52 AM »
I've been riding FM936 for over a year.
I am generally satisfied with my bike, but I am not happy with the single drink bottle installation.
So, I added two bottles using parts from LYNE COMPONENTS.

https://www.on-lynecomponents.com/collections/the-holy-rail/products/holy-rail-dual-cage-kit

This frame size is M and it can insert two 550ml FLY bottles. I think this is effective for marathon competition.

Just for your reference.

carbonazza

« Reply #1784 on: August 05, 2021, 03:57:13 PM »
...but I am not happy with the single drink bottle installation...
Did you see the picture a few post above?
It is another option. The ZTTO double bottle mount.
Light and inexpensive.
It keeps well the bottles, even on rough tracks.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32975689555.html