Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375216 times)

wfl3

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2020, 08:57:08 AM »
Still loving the bike but I think I got a real issue.
I'm having play at the driveside lowest pivot point. I can move the rear triangle at the left lower pivotpoint for some milimeters uo and down. It's also a bit noticable during biking, like a slipping reartire.

Already sent carbonda a mail about it... Think there is to much space between the axle and the hole where you put it in.

I wonder if anyone else is seeing this?  Is it possible the pivot bolt loosened up?  Did you put loctite on the pivot bolts?

Hopefully this isn't a design flaw.

Medico

« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2020, 09:06:04 AM »
I'm having play at the driveside lowest pivot point. I can move the rear triangle at the left lower pivotpoint for some milimeters uo and down. It's also a bit noticable during biking, like a slipping reartire.

Already sent carbonda a mail about it... Think there is to much space between the axle and the hole where you put it in.

I wonder if anyone else is seeing this?  Is it possible the pivot bolt loosened up?  Did you put loctite on the pivot bolts?

Pivot bolts are a bitch to get loose or retighten again...5mm hexbolts aren't designed to handle >10nm especially if they are from cheap aluminium...so I ruined them.
So...think there are 2 options...they tightened the bolts with loctite but at a to low rorque or its a lesser design...
Or I have got bad luck....again

sync1

« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2020, 09:18:05 AM »
Does anyone knows if a piggyback shock (like the FOX DPX2) will fit in the frame?

Havn't tried it, but think it will fit... A bottle fits in the frame, so why would a piggyback wouldn't.

Another question... How tight is your lower linkage bolted together; howmany newtonmeters?

Just talked with Adam about my issue and ge said he wanted to send me new aluminium parts?! Don't think that will be the answer... He will check it with qc.

The piggyback will be on the bottom and it seems the frame doesnt have enought space.
The frame is on the way, I hope to receive it next week.

Pivot bolts are a bitch to get loose or retighten again...5mm hexbolts aren't designed to handle >10nm especially if they are from cheap aluminium...so I ruined them.
So...think there are 2 options...they tightened the bolts with loctite but at a to low rorque or its a lesser design...

I would try with cheap steel bolts and loctite before anything else.

Medico

« Reply #198 on: March 21, 2020, 01:10:33 PM »
Does anyone knows if a piggyback shock (like the FOX DPX2) will fit in the frame?

Havn't tried it, but think it will fit... A bottle fits in the frame, so why would a piggyback wouldn't.

Another question... How tight is your lower linkage bolted together; howmany newtonmeters?

Just talked with Adam about my issue and ge said he wanted to send me new aluminium parts?! Don't think that will be the answer... He will check it with qc.

The piggyback will be on the bottom and it seems the frame doesnt have enought space.
The frame is on the way, I hope to receive it next week.

I would try with cheap steel bolts and loctite before anything else.

Cheap bolts will not fit I think, the need specific form at the end the match the frame... But Adam will mail me after the weekend, he asked the qc department hoe to solve it...hopefully I will get a new rear...

numberzero

« Reply #199 on: March 22, 2020, 09:20:25 AM »
You can replace the left screw by a steel one.
Something like that with the correct dimensions https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32779413095.html

carbonazza

« Reply #200 on: March 22, 2020, 04:18:29 PM »
Something like that with the correct dimensions https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32779413095.html

Most Chinese screws are not that good in my experience.
It is like they can be screwed a couple of times, and then fail.

A friend has a manufacturing company, and went to outsource to China.
The first thing they told him, was he could save on screw costs, plus many other little details.
Mainly making plenty of elements as single-use quality, which makes sense in general, unless you have some regular maintenance.

Medico

« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2020, 04:23:06 PM »

I doubt if it will fit... Looks different.

Hopefully I will hear from Adam about a solution. Like I said...new screws aren't the solution (i think).

numberzero

« Reply #202 on: March 23, 2020, 02:50:39 AM »
I meant the other screw the one supposed to go in the thing you pictured ;)

Happybiker

« Reply #203 on: March 24, 2020, 10:31:42 AM »
Hi, first post here and I'm interested in this frame as a do it it all trail and xc bike.

Those of you who have one, what shock and tune have you gone with and how does it ride? Looking at the photo from Pinkbike it looks like the stock NS Bike is shipped with the following tune:
2020 Series Float Trunnion
2020, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, Remote Down, Trunnion, Evol LV, PTU, NS Bikes, Synonim, 165, 42.5, 0.6 Spacer, DCM, DRM, CMF, Neutral Logo

It's there an equivalent Rockshox tune? (MM I'm guessing)
The new 35mm SID looks ideal for this frame.

kisuke3

« Reply #204 on: March 24, 2020, 06:27:15 PM »
Hi, first post here and I'm interested in this frame as a do it it all trail and xc bike.

Those of you who have one, what shock and tune have you gone with and how does it ride? Looking at the photo from Pinkbike it looks like the stock NS Bike is shipped with the following tune:
2020, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, Remote Down, Trunnion, Evol LV, PTU, NS Bikes, Synonim, 165, 42.5, 0.6 Spacer, DCM, DRM, CMF, Neutral Logo

Hello. I am assembling the suspension for this bike in the following configuration.
F fork:SR Suntour AXON34 Boost RLRC-PCS DS 15QLC2-110 29'' 120mm
R-Shock:SR Suntour Edge RLRC 2-Position Lockout, 165*40mm

I have only ridden at once in the trail, but I am generally satisfied with this configuration.

>The new 35mm SID looks ideal for this frame.
I agree completely!

Since the head angle is quite slack, when the R-shock moves on the climb, the handling is quite stagnant.
The lockout function on the R-shock is a must, and a lever that allows you to lock out the front and rear with just one lever is useful.

I hope you find it helpful.

Medico

« Reply #205 on: March 25, 2020, 01:47:07 AM »

Hello. I am assembling the suspension for this bike in the following configuration.
F fork:SR Suntour AXON34 Boost RLRC-PCS DS 15QLC2-110 29'' 120mm
R-Shock:SR Suntour Edge RLRC 2-Position Lockout, 165*40mm

I have only ridden at once in the trail, but I am generally satisfied with this configuration.

>The new 35mm SID looks ideal for this frame.
I agree completely!

Since the head angle is quite slack, when the R-shock moves on the climb, the handling is quite stagnant.
The lockout function on the R-shock is a must, and a lever that allows you to lock out the front and rear with just one lever is useful.

I hope you find it helpful.

I'm not agreeing with you about the need of a lockout. Yes the rear moves...but if you must need a lockout your tuning of your shock is off. I would like you to time your climbs with and without a lockout...I think you will be suprised.

Im using a rs deluxe mm tune fwiw.

Happybiker

« Reply #206 on: March 25, 2020, 02:37:28 AM »
Thanks Medico for your input, how does the tune suit the kinematics, can you leave the shock open most of the time? My main reason for getting this frame is to have an xc bike without remote lockout levers, most bikes have them and I'm not a fan!

Happybiker

« Reply #207 on: March 25, 2020, 02:40:48 AM »
If anyone is interested I saw the tune ID on the Stevens Jura is very similar, looks like they tried slinger stroke shock.

2020 Factory Series Float Trunnion
2020, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, Remote Down, Trunnion, Evol LV, PTU, Stevens, Jura Team, 165, 45, 0.4 Spacer, DCM, DRM, CMF, Orange Logo

Medico

« Reply #208 on: March 25, 2020, 02:44:07 AM »
Thanks Medico for your input, how does the tune suit the kinematics, can you leave the shock open most of the time? My main reason for getting this frame is to have an xc bike without remote lockout levers, most bikes have them and I'm not a fan!

On the trail it's full open. I need to bike 15km to the trail over tarmac then I use the peddle option on the shock...but I do forget this quite often..

wfl3

« Reply #209 on: March 25, 2020, 01:22:13 PM »
Got a medium (superlight vers) delivered today.  No issues with any damage, looks perfect.

It's pretty light, just the frame with hanger and the port covers plus all the pre-run tubes for pulling thru the internally routed cables weighed in at 4lbs 1oz.  That was with the dummy shock block removed.

Hopefully will start building it up soon.  Plan on using it for XC and shorter Endurance races (6hr or under), so going lightweight and 100mm/100mm config.  Shooting for sub 23lbs with pedals, cage, etc.   

ETA:  A little over 4lbs 10oz with the Fox Factory Evol (non-remote) mounted up.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:25:43 PM by wfl3 »