Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 369663 times)

Lukesjr

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #2175 on: December 08, 2022, 09:23:41 AM »
It is most likely the shock that is currently misaligned. Take all the air out of the shock, then you should be able to rotate it by hand.

The shock is not misaligned, from a rotational perspective.  I checked the trunnion spacers, they were set.  When I get a chance I will repress the bearings, maybe they put them in offset, but they seem fully pressed in because the shock has a super tight fit between the trunnion mounts.

The annoying thing is that the frame is shipped with a plastic bar between the shock mounts.  When that bar is installed it is clearly shifted to the side and any type of QA on this frame would have picked it up.

My guess, it appears that there is something wrong with the trunnion mount area, either the frame mold is misaligned or there is something wrong with the bearing faces not being even.

Lukesjr

« Reply #2176 on: December 08, 2022, 11:18:25 AM »
Bearings are pressed in tight.  The rocker linkage may be the issue also, it could be shifted to right by a few mm.  Should I disassemble the linkage and reassemble that?

Here are some pics where you can see when the shock is mounted to the rocker arm,  it is shifted to the right(sitting on the frame looking forward)

Lukesjr

« Reply #2177 on: December 08, 2022, 02:53:34 PM »
Also, the paint is just flaking off the frame.  I have read this site for a long while and people really touted the quality of Carbonda which is why I ordered from them.  They are about a 20% premium cost over the other alliexpress frames. 

I have to say, so far I am not impressed. 

Hopefully their customer support is on the ball.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 02:57:51 PM by Lukesjr »

urbs

« Reply #2178 on: December 08, 2022, 03:37:36 PM »
The shock is not misaligned, from a rotational perspective.  I checked the trunnion spacers, they were set.  When I get a chance I will repress the bearings, maybe they put them in offset, but they seem fully pressed in because the shock has a super tight fit between the trunnion mounts.

The annoying thing is that the frame is shipped with a plastic bar between the shock mounts.  When that bar is installed it is clearly shifted to the side and any type of QA on this frame would have picked it up.

My guess, it appears that there is something wrong with the trunnion mount area, either the frame mold is misaligned or there is something wrong with the bearing faces not being even.

That sucks, sorry. It would be surprising if the mould is misaligned, given that others haven’t had this issue. I hope carbonda sort it for you.

casual_build

« Reply #2179 on: December 08, 2022, 06:33:13 PM »
While Carbonda does seem deliver the most consistent quality, it's still a chinese frame. Most major bike brands have dedicated quality control person onsite to catch these things. We don't get that at this price point.

Several other reports are in this thread of linkage/shock issues, especially on the regular (non-SL) version. To be fair, these are some of the least visually inspectable defects.

I think a lot of us like Carbonda because of the quality of the carbon work. Not too much resin, very clean on the interior.

You definitely got unlucky, that sucks. At least they usually respond to defect claims. Some manufactures just ignore you.

They will probably make you saw the frame in half before sending you a new front triangle and it will probably take a long time.

As for the paint, Carbonda paint used to be better. Ask for a paint refund. My FM1002 had the same flakey issue.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 06:38:46 PM by casual_build »

Lukesjr

« Reply #2180 on: December 08, 2022, 06:35:53 PM »
While Carbonda does seem deliver the most consistent quality, it's still a chinese frame. Most major bike brands have dedicated quality control person onsite to catch these things. We don't get that at this price point.

Several other reports are in this thread of linkage/shock issues, especially on the regular (non-SL) version. To be fair, these are some of the least visually inspectable defects.

You definitely got unlucky, they will make you saw the frame in half before sending you a new front traingle and it will probably take a long time.

As for the paint, Carbonda paint used to be better. Ask for a paint refund. My FM1002 had the same flakey issue.

Good advice, I read about some flaky paint and other paint issues and was hoping I would get a quality paint job.  In hindsight, I should have just went for a carbon finish.   Mine is the regular NON-SL version.

casual_build

« Reply #2181 on: December 08, 2022, 06:42:34 PM »
Good advice, I read about some flaky paint and other paint issues and was hoping I would get a quality paint job.  In hindsight, I should have just went for a carbon finish.   Mine is the regular NON-SL version.

Well I hope they respond quickly and send you a new front triangle. It might be difficult to verify that this is a defect, especially with the language barrier. Good luck and I hope you get better paint on round two.

Lukesjr

« Reply #2182 on: December 08, 2022, 06:44:10 PM »
I am not sure if it is the front triangle or the linkage.  I just can't tell which one is misaligned.

Lukesjr

« Reply #2183 on: December 08, 2022, 09:05:48 PM »
Adam from Carbonda told me the paint flaking off is because of my installation, I haven't even installed anything yet.  He also said the misalignment was normal.  UGH. 

casual_build

« Reply #2184 on: December 09, 2022, 12:06:47 PM »
I am not sure if it is the front triangle or the linkage.  I just can't tell which one is misaligned.

More people have issues with linkage than a front triangle. if you cant pinpoint the problem, Adam probably wont help you. Perhaps you should take it to reputable bike shop?

qwerty

« Reply #2185 on: December 26, 2022, 04:37:07 AM »
Had my 936 for a year now and have just noticed some play in the rear end when I pick it up by the top tube, I think it's the main pivot.

I already have a full bearing kit spare.

I've never replaced frame bearings before.

Anyone got any tips or advice on how to do it and the special tools required.

Cheers.

zilcho

« Reply #2186 on: December 26, 2022, 01:01:52 PM »
Had my 936 for a year now and have just noticed some play in the rear end when I pick it up by the top tube, I think it's the main pivot.

Cheers.

I would check the torque spec on all of the pivot bolts first, especially the lower pivot hidden behind the crank. This is how I found out that my frame was one that had the lower pivot bolt longer than spec. It would start to come loose and the rear triangle had play when lifting the frame.

For the bearings, I do believe there are frame bearing sized pulls and presses like you'd use for a bottom bracket and headset.

Medico

« Reply #2187 on: December 26, 2022, 01:09:30 PM »

Cheers.

I've got my 936 for 3 years now and do the lower bearing every year. First time I used a hamer and a screwdriver and a lot of patience, but last year a bought a cheap bearingpullset which does the job easier. All the bearing are pressed in aluminium or steel cups, so it can handle a bit of abuse(a little bit! It's a plastic frame, not aluminium).
First time it's a scary, but there are enough YT movies to help you. Otherwise go to your local bikeshop for help.

Good luck

carbonazza

« Reply #2188 on: December 26, 2022, 02:20:57 PM »
...but last year a bought a cheap bearingpullset which does the job easier...
Do you have a picture or a link to it ?

Medico

« Reply #2189 on: December 26, 2022, 02:25:18 PM »