Author Topic: Light Carbon FS713 build planning  (Read 44447 times)

FlyingDodo

Light Carbon FS713 build planning
« on: May 12, 2019, 03:11:05 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've been reading alot about chinese based builds in the last couple of weeks and started to put together a project based on the Light Carbon FS713. I have to mention that I have no experience with bike building so far and would appreciate very much if someone could give me feedback on the composition of chosen components (compability). It should be an AM bike fit for almost every purpose, although I have to mention that I'm not the kind of guy who takes his bike with a cable car to the top of a hill to ride it down only.

Also I haven't found any reference project based on this frame. Is it just because the frame seems to be quite new or is there any other reason I should consider?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_fOXEu374cEQXW3wKCjhjwTt_zA7Z2xqT_xqJa11eE0/edit?usp=sharing

Many thanks in advance for feedback.

ChinaCruz

Re: Light Carbon FS713 build planning
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 12:33:48 PM »
I don't see any incompatibility problems with those components except I am unsure about the headset.

If you plan to do heavy technical riding, I think you would appreciate the function of a heavier duty shock. Something with a reservoir like a DPX2.

Do you like DT suspension?

FlyingDodo

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 11:42:06 PM »
Thanks for checking. Need to check the headset again.
Regarding the shock. I think I am not there yet for the really heavy technical stuff. To be honsest I personally dont have much experience with the DT Swiss R 535. Mainly two reasons I've chosen it. 1) My reference bike has the same and 2) it fits the design (frame black matt with glossy cyan blue decals). I just received the drawing from the designer (attached).

emu26

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 11:13:19 PM »
Flying Dodo on a bike called Paddling Rabbit?  Is that a spell check issue and should be Peddling, in which case I think it should be Pedalling if you mean what we do with the pedals of a bike.

Otherwise I like the colours.

ChinaCruz

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 12:52:45 PM »
Ok but you can get blue decals for most forks. Might want to check out the Bike Radar fork review. I just don't want you to spend that much money when you can get good fork for half that.

As well as the Manitou Mcleod for the rear shock.

FlyingDodo

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 02:45:03 PM »
The decals I luckily checked again before I've sent out the final order. So that's fixed  ;D

Thanks for highlighting that test. I now changed the front one  to RockShox Lyrik Charger RC2 DebonAir Federgabel (160mm). Saves roughly 280.- based on local prices.

Regarding the rear one unfortunately there seem to be no local dealer to get the Manitou Mcleod. So I'm thinking about to switch to the RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 DebonAir. Any opinion on that one?

Yesterday I also had the chance to get a brandnew 1x12 SRAM Eagle XX1 for an unbeatable price as the guy got himself the AXS. I couldnt resist on that one.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:47:50 PM by FlyingDodo »

sclyde2

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 08:08:15 PM »

Also I haven't found any reference project based on this frame. Is it just because the frame seems to be quite new or is there any other reason I should consider?

Is this the exact same frame as the fm08 that tan tan is selling?  I had a quick look at the geo charts and it looks like it.  Could be from the same factory.  There are a couple build threads on here for the fm08.

sclyde2

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 08:14:10 PM »

Regarding the rear one unfortunately there seem to be no local dealer to get the Manitou Mcleod. So I'm thinking about to switch to the RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 DebonAir. Any opinion on that one?

I also would recommend the McLeod rear shock.  Where are you?  Switzerland?  The Germans (e.g. bike-discount) have the McLeod.  Do they not ship to your country?

Not sure if the performance of the latest piggyback shocks from fox/rockshox is much better, but the McLeod performance is pretty awesome, for half the price.  That frame will give you around 150mm travel with a 200x56 McLeod.

FlyingDodo

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 11:42:48 PM »
Yes, based I'min Switzerland. I potentially have a deal ongoing to get a near mint one. Let's see, otherwise I have to go with a German dealer but shipping costs are normally quite high.

What do you think of the geo in case I go with a 160mm front fork?

FlyingDodo

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 03:46:37 AM »
So production of the frame is coming to an end and am thrilled to finally receive the frame :D . According to John it should be shipped tomorrow.

chetosmachine

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 07:20:04 AM »
Nice color!

emu26

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 01:18:48 AM »
Looks good, is the blue gloss?

So nice to see a burly BB interface and not thin tube like some of them appear.

FlyingDodo

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 03:39:00 AM »
Thanks and yes. The blue is Panetone 306C glossy and the Black is matt.

Does anyone actually has experience with wheels/rims from LightCarbon? I could't find any feedback which worries me a bit.

chetosmachine

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 06:45:34 AM »
I remember I read some time ago a nice review from few users in mtbr forum, and i've read positive feedback in spanish forum.
In all cases the buyers had DT Swiss hubs, both 370s and 240s.

supermoto65

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 02:59:56 PM »
That's the same from as my TanTan ..

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,2208.0.html