Other Resources > Component Deals & Selection

XX1/X01 vs. 1x10/1x9

(1/4) > >>

brmeyer135:
It seems the XX1/XO1 are the desired drive trains these days.
Since those have come out many players have stepped up with alternatives to those.
Are the alternatives as good, or better yet, close to the qualities of the XX1 and XO1 drivetrains?
I am thinking cost, weight and performance.
From Vipassana, the weight of an XO1 is roughly 1213grams and costs ? ....roughly 900.00 +   performance: what all the others strive for
Any comparable set would probably keep the crank as those are roughly 270.00 - any other lightweight crank would just blow the budget
So, from there, the build out would probably be XTR from Shimano and X9, XO or more likely XX from SRAM
I will add to this later as I put some numbers together...but initial look, hard to beat XO1/XX1

WorkingHPRs:
Don't forget X1.

Think I am correct in saying chain rings are interchangeable between XO1 and X1 but the XX1 uses a different BCD. The X1 1400 has a removable spider that can be replaced with the XX1 spider allowing you to use the XX1 rings.

Picked up a lightly cosmetically scuffed alloy armed X1 1400 off of ebay (someone wanted to switch to the carbon armed version on their Orange Five RS) for peanuts, really happy!

Seem to be lots of reports of the pedal inserts de-bonding in the carbon arms which is why I went for the alloy version.

Vipassana:
Here are the weights (as measured by myself) for the X01 setup I have.  This includes everything but the cable housing and the 4 chain ring bolts.  Both of which should be less than 50g combined.

Total: 1518g (3.34lbs)

Vipassana:
Also, there is really not much advantage to the XX1 spider bolt spacing compared to the X01.  The only difference is that the XX1 allows you to run as low as 28T.  With the X01, you can only go as low as 30T.  That said, many, many companies make a 28T gear that completely replaces the spider and allows you to run 28T on XX1, X01, X1, etc. all without a spider.  The disadvantage to this is the crank arm must be removed to change/replace the chainring with that setup.

I'm of the opinion that I will probably never need a 28T front chain ring.  30T should be plenty.  Since it's relatively flat around here, 32T should suffice.  But I will learn more as I ride.  As a point, you should probably just harden up!  :P

The XX1/X01 is light, but not that light.  The same carbon crankset can be used in other setups and that is where the real weight savings is.  The X01 1400 is 800g with 32T chain ring.  The comparable carbon XX1/X01 setup is 580g.  The cassette is also light considering it's size.  But it is certainly in the ball park of other options.

brmeyer135:
Here is a vendor is selling 1x groupset for $400.00:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-WARRANTY-COMPLETE-RACEFACE-RIDE-SRAM-X9-TYPE-2-1X10-CONVERSION-KIT-MTB-/171154948076?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d9a13fec
Cost is great
Performance ?
Weight - will have to put numbers together based on parts

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version