Author Topic: Looking for advice on build.  (Read 1734 times)

Aoiree

Looking for advice on build.
« on: February 16, 2015, 11:20:35 PM »
Have been away a while and lurking recently again. Did a bunch a research a while back when my bikes direct bike HT was stolen. Picked up a used cannondale prophet FS 26er to race on in the meanwhile.

I'm getting back to the desire to build a bike instead of pick up another used or bikes direct bike.

Never really solicited crowd advice yet, curious what y'all think.

My background:
My primary bike use is adventure racing (or bike orienteering) which tends to have lots of road riding and usually less technical mtb terrain. I mean it is really not fun hauling 30+lbs of Cannondale prophet with a full race pack up the side of a mountain. My only other use is training for races and sometimes I join the roadies on my MTB for long rides instead of using my old trek road bike.

Id consider myself an early intermediate mountain biker who is willing to be ballsy come race day... Or if biking at night (always love doing things at night I wouldn't do during the day!) Anyway if stuff gets too steep/ hairy I'm walking. But been getting better over time.

I'm guessing light weight and road efficient is probably my number one priority while being technically capable.
Oh and some nice big disc rotors... Had run in with brake fade while trying keep my bike under 60mph on a very steep long mountain road on a mcguyverly repaired tubeless tire that delaminated, bubbled and exploded on me leaving me a tennis ball sized shredded area.  Long story short I'd like to try to reduce having to worry about brake fade again if it makes sense.

I'm trying to keep the build around 2k give or take a few hundred and will be selling the prophet to help fund the new bike (which is sad since the FS was fun to ride, definitely made things a bit easier too)

So suggestions? I'm thinking HT 29 spending the money on the rims and frame with moderate components otherwise and a lockout fork. Imagine a FS with lockouts on both rear and front might be out of my budget... and maybe even counter intuitive to meet my needs.

Not in a rush as I still have the prophet so I will try to snipe good deal on the components but I'd like to try to get the ball rolling soon. Really appreciate any advice!

325racer

Re: Looking for advice on build.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:52:16 PM »
How about a cyclocross bike??  That would be the fastest on road and hard pack.  Would make things much more interesting offroad.

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 03:28:14 AM »
If you do not want a cyclocross bike, which is a very good suggestion.

You could consider a HT with a rigid fork.
It provides some flex, albeit limited, and it would save you some weight and money.

Aoiree

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 06:21:06 PM »
Cyclocross bikes generally not allowed in these races. Although could probably get away with it. I'll look into rigid fork... Really don't know much about them.

Also there is some merit to suspension and the 29 make for a more comfortable experience if you're going to be out on the course for 12-24+ hours. I know there's times I'm glad for the suspension. Although I have and will continue to run semi-slicks/cyclocross style tires instead of the knobbys if I suspect very tame terrain and roads (I.e. an event in Delaware no where near White Clay).