Author Topic: Drilling Hole into 036 for dropper post remote internal routing  (Read 2875 times)

faintvisions

I bought a Rockshox Reverb Stealth dropper post before I realized that there isn't a way to internally route the remote cable. For the rear shock internal route, I have a remote hose going through it already so no go there.

I'm considering drilling into the down tube to route the cable internally. I came the post linked to below. Is this a crazy idea? What are the ramifications of drilling into it?

http://www.peterverdone.com/?p=7163

cmh

Re: Drilling Hole into 036 for dropper post remote internal routing
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 01:48:04 PM »
Huhu, well, it's your frame, but I doubt you'll find many folks aside from the guy who wrote that blog post saying it's a good idea. The ramifications are you've got no idea how much stress goes through that area, and cutting out a hole interrupts a whole bunch of carbon fibers, possibly creates stress risers, all that fun stuff. But hey - what's the worst that could happen, beyond a crack forming in the down tube where it attaches to the head tube, which would probably lead to catastrophic disconnection between the head tube and the rest of the frame?  :o

Are you running a 1x drivetrain? Could you drill out the stop for the front derailleur instead of putting a hole in the frame?

faintvisions

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 09:45:50 PM »
I'm running 1x11 XT so front derailleur stop sounds like the safer option. Anything have experience with this?

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 11:46:17 PM »
If the holes stops are in aluminium you can drill them. They are very soft.
I did that to drive the hose until the rear dérailleur end to end.

To drill in the right direction, you can use a small drill first, then increase it mm by mm or so, until you get the wanted diameter(hose+0.5mm).
Or if you are sure to get it right oriented, go directly with the last drill.