Other Resources > Component Deals & Selection

internal cable routing

(1/2) > >>

325racer:
So working on the new build and I'm debating if I should go through the exercise of drilling the frame to run the full housing, vs, running the housing to the frame and leaving the cable naked inside the frame.

I could finish it tonight if I do external only housings.  I suppose I could drill the frame, but not sure I have the right size bits.

seat_boy:
Why not try to the regular method (not drilled) and see if that works OK? It's been fine for me so far. You can always drill in the future if you think it's needed for some reason, but you can't un-drill.

carbonazza:
From your pictures, it looks the bottom bracket and headset are already mounted.

You need to remove the white hose to drill.
Loosing the guide to pass the cable through the frame.

The only option is to dismantle the BB and the headset.
As you will need to guide the hose with your fingers.

If you want to finish this evening... I'm afraid it will be a no-drill

325racer:
After several hours of screwing around last night I did all the drilling but ended up doing the standard method.

On the 057 the threaded BB casing has no holes to access the tubes.  I was able to slide the routing tube one way, then the other to drill out.  As others, because of the angles the drilling had to be done by hand.  The upper hole was fairly easy, but the lower hole was a major pain and had to go in about 3 inches.

From there, I then ran the wire through the guide, removed the guide and tried to run the housing up from the bottom. Im not sure what it was, but I was hitting something very solid in the chain stay that I ended up not being able to pass.  I easily spent over an hour, probably closer to 2, just going back and forth.  With the cable in, I could not get the housing in more than 3 inches.  Without the cable it would go in about 8-10 inches before I hit something solid.

When I was hitting the solid thing, it would bunch up the cable and start some kinking.

I decided before things got really messed up, I would go back to the standard mounting with housing just on the outside.

So at the end of the night 2am, I had everything mounted and adjusted with the cable routed using external only housings.

Vipassana:
What is the advantage to drilling and running a housing the whole way? Wouldn't that be more resistance?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version