Author Topic: Chinese Santa Cruz/AM831  (Read 97416 times)

Flo7

Re: Chinese Santa Cruz
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2019, 11:38:15 AM »
Anyone know if haideli offers options on the frames like headsets etc.? What about paint jobs? Not that I mind all black. I'll chat with them, but I figured I'd ask here first.

This is an e Mail from EDDIE

It can be do the preorder, but the shipping time would be on Jan 2020.
For the totaly price is USD790 with the painting in metallic black glossy, NO.4.

Item included frame, clamp, headset, rear axle and Bottom bracket.
For the rear hanger we can send as gifts for one piece.

This colors would be possible...

scourge

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2019, 05:08:47 PM »
Great news about the headsets and the colors. This frame gets even more appealing.

I always wanted to build up a frame, but I've never tried. Can someone with experience give me an idea how difficult it is if I were taking parts off another bike? The headsets in, so I assume I just fit the fork in.  The bottom bracket is threaded, so will it be easy to get the cranks in? Routing the cables may be hard. Is there really difficult steps I'm not thinking of? Any advice?

bruto

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2019, 10:06:23 AM »
it's not hard, but you might need specialized tools for some things

you can buy BB installation/removal cups cheaply, make a headset/bb/bearing press with duct tape and chopsticks, but things like facing BB/headtube/brake mounts, which is often required, are better done by a qualified person with proper instruments

lRaphl

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2019, 11:44:41 AM »

you can buy BB installation/removal cups cheaply, make a headset/bb/bearing press with duct tape and chopsticks, but things like facing BB/headtube/brake mounts, which is often required, are better done by a qualified person with proper instruments

This frame has a pressfit BB, so no facing required. I also never had to face my brake mounts. Headsets on those chiner frame are most of the time the drop-in type so no need for any press there. You just need to tap the race on the fork with a PVC pipe or something similar. To me, the worst part is routing the brake cables through the frames because, unless you have the Formula Cura brakes with detachable lines, you will need to mess with brake fluid for sure (be it just a little drop or a full mess).

scourge

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2019, 12:12:31 PM »
Is it correct to assume since the frame comes with the headset and bottom bracket that they will be installed already?

bruto

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2019, 12:06:01 AM »
no
and all bb shells can require facing if they're not flat enough
less likely with full carbon shell (as opposed to welded), but possible

your personal experience is not a representative sample, iRaphi, unless you've had hundreds of frames and used brakes with less than generous pad clearance with most of them
perfectly flat mounting surfaces do help avoid brake disc rub
it's not always worth the price (shops charge different amounts for this), but it helps

Flo7

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2019, 12:25:08 AM »

This frame has a pressfit BB, so no facing required. I also never had to face my brake mounts. Headsets on those chiner frame are most of the time the drop-in type so no need for any press there. You just need to tap the race on the fork with a PVC pipe or something similar. To me, the worst part is routing the brake cables through the frames because, unless you have the Formula Cura brakes with detachable lines, you will need to mess with brake fluid for sure (be it just a little drop or a full mess).

The Frame has a BSA73 BB ;)

scourge

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2019, 10:14:04 AM »
That's threaded right? So it should be easy to install cranks?

bruto

« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2019, 10:34:01 AM »
if the threads are coaxial, which is not always the case :)
Also the epoxy used to affix the alloy BB shell to the frame may fail after some time
It's a known problem with carbon frames, Chinese direct-to-consumer ones in particular, but I cannot say how widespread

scourge

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2019, 11:35:35 PM »
So far I've noticed the top tube is different. There is a link in this frame, whereas the Hightower is straight. I also noticed the seat tube lengths on the geo charts for this frame are much longer. So far it seems there is no flip chip. Wonder if it will have the protectors on  the down tube or the little fender for the rear shock. Anyone notice any other major differences?

Flo7

« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2019, 08:11:44 AM »
Hi,

I have news vom Eddie that the frame will be ready before Chinese new year begins. Cost 680USD with EMS Shipping.
The Frame has a Flip Chip but not a fix internal cable guide inside the frame.

Cheers,
Florian

scourge

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2019, 12:46:46 PM »
I wonder how much extra having it painted will cost. I asked Eddie along with some other questions a while back. He said he'd get back to me but never did. He also gave me a price of $760 for the frame. Wonder why there is a difference.

ReverendRockRazor

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2019, 02:28:30 PM »
 It's usually $50-100 for one color.
 You can also get it gloss clear for free and add some frame protection kit that looks cool also.

Something from allmountainprotection of dyedbro.com

Bos

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2020, 10:46:08 PM »
Has anyone heard anything from/about this frame?  I am about to pull the trigger on a ICAN P9 if this does not show promise.

Flo7

« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2020, 02:38:21 PM »
Has anyone heard anything from/about this frame?  I am about to pull the trigger on a ICAN P9 if this does not show promise.

Unfortunately there is a delay and will be finished after the Chinese New Year.