Author Topic: Light Carbon LCFS713 or TanTan FM08 - Looking for Rider Feedback  (Read 7470 times)

KGA109

I'm currently on a Yeti 4.5 but looking for a bigger travel bike to better suit what I ride, and don't feel like spending $3600 on a frame.

I like nearly everything I see in terms of geo and specs for the Light Carbon 713 which looks to be identical to the TanTan FM08 as well.

How many people out there are riding them hard? Or at all? I'm not seeing much info on them.

I plan to build mine with a Fox 36 at 160mm with 44mm offset and probably DPX2 at 141mm. Maybe 150.

I ride rough, rocky terrain (mostly) - I'd love to hear some user feedback - how has it held up? Does it handle rough terrain well?

Any input would be great. Thanks.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 08:32:25 AM by KGA109 »

emu26

Re: Light Carbon LCFS713 or TanTan FM08 - Looking for Rider Feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 02:46:07 AM »
Aren't they the same frame?

KGA109

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 08:31:06 AM »
Aren't they the same frame?

Yes they are.

sclyde2

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 03:48:04 PM »
Maybe a good idea to check the existing threads on the builds of these frames?

KGA109

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 04:03:33 PM »
Maybe a good idea to check the existing threads on the builds of these frames?

Yes of course and I have done that.

There is not much info here or MTBR. They show the build, but there is no commentary or feedback of the frame with some actual miles on it. I found one, but it just spoke of some creaking which ended up being the cassette.

I would like to hear about the durability with some time on it.

StefanB

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 01:58:42 AM »
I built a LCFS713 for my wife last year and now im planing my own, nex build.

One idea is to build a LCFS713 with a Slackerizer Angle Headset - 2 Degree and if possible, build it as a mullet. Is this a bad idé or could it be fun?

binaryagent

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 06:45:50 PM »
Stay away from TanTan. The BB on my FM10 is delaminating after less than two years. The top shock mount bolt broke and they sent the wrong size for a replacement. Then they played stupid and we went round and round even though I sent them pictures with dimensions. Some Chinese play stupid when you catch them cheating or they don't want to fulfill their obligations. It's in the business culture. I finally found a local machinist to fix it for $50.

When I told them about the delaminating BB I got crickets.

Also the frame had some issues with finishing  that I had to overcome and cheap grommets. The holes in the chain stay weren't large enough for BH90 brake hose so I had to route it externally with zip ties.

jefflinde

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 09:27:46 PM »
I built a LCFS713 for my wife last year and now im planing my own, nex build.

One idea is to build a LCFS713 with a Slackerizer Angle Headset - 2 Degree and if possible, build it as a mullet. Is this a bad idé or could it be fun?

Looking at going this route for a 27.5 park /play bike.  i am curious though if there are any geometry differences from running either the 210mm or the 200mm shock.  i know the travel changes with the different strokes but the geometry must be affected by have a 10mm longer or shorter shock.  or is there a flip chip or something to account for this?  also how does it ride?  any feedback would be great.