Author Topic: Another Tan Tan FM10  (Read 10532 times)

emu26

Re: Another Tan Tan FM10
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2020, 09:56:06 PM »
Glad to hear it has finally shipped. How much longer than they said did it take? 

northup

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2020, 08:37:40 AM »
It was about a month longer than they'd thought. That said, it will be the first production XL mold of the frame, so I wasn't surprised it took them a while to get things going. I'm interested to see how the measurements match up to what they say on the site. I was patient and did not rush their production schedule, I didn't want any corners cut in manufacturing or testing. i was able to get a response from Lisa at TanTan every week or so, so the communication was better than I expected (thanks Lisa!) so I'm very excited to see the final product.

northup

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2020, 09:42:37 AM »
Also, in the interest of trying out cheap chinese parts, I purchased a set of DAIRS 29" wheels shipped for $500. I don't have a set of 29er wheels, and with the variance in frame performance, I figured it would be good to have one of each. Whichever I don't use on the FM10 can go on my hardtail.

29er 35mm outer by 29mm inner
Bitex 402 straight pull hubs (if you haven't checked these out, take a look. I think they're great value for $)
1420 spokes (32h/32h)
estimated 1550g
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32951880889.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.5a932203ZNo9lG
Too good to be true? maybe, probably, we'll see.

We'll see what happens. I've got a trip out to CO for 3 weeks in september, so if my wheels, lightbicycle rims, and/or frame don't come in by 9/5 I unfortunately won't be able to test right away and will be afk for a while here.

emu26

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2020, 12:34:09 PM »
Being well north of 90kg, I wouldn't dare ride a set of Dairs.  Sorry, had to be done.

Will be interesting to hear your reports when you get them.

northup

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2020, 06:44:00 AM »
Yea, I was very curious, as they seem super light. I wouldn't mind them on my xc bike, it doesn't get thrashed. The beefier wheels should do well for the FM10. That said, I am only ~73kg ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

northup

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2020, 02:48:17 PM »
The bike is here! It shipped quite quickly, so I'm happy about that. Packaging was good, frame looks good, as I start to put it together I'll figure out the finer points.

ONE MAJOR ISSUE: The "hood" that covers a trunnion shock does not fit a RockShox Deluxe 185x55 (or any in that family I would guess). The hood isn't deep enough for the shock to pivot or align to connect the rear triangle. It's a shame, but if any of you have any ideas, I'm trying to get this bike ride-able by September!

Here are some photos. I'll update this same album with progress. The photo with my hand is me pulling down on the shock, it doesn't move at all.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vfacLJJCdJHHZh247

emu26

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2020, 04:33:18 PM »
The bike is here! It shipped quite quickly, so I'm happy about that. Packaging was good, frame looks good, as I start to put it together I'll figure out the finer points.

ONE MAJOR ISSUE: The "hood" that covers a trunnion shock does not fit a RockShox Deluxe 185x55 (or any in that family I would guess). The hood isn't deep enough for the shock to pivot or align to connect the rear triangle. It's a shame, but if any of you have any ideas, I'm trying to get this bike ride-able by September!

Here are some photos. I'll update this same album with progress. The photo with my hand is me pulling down on the shock, it doesn't move at all.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vfacLJJCdJHHZh247

Well that sucks.

Am I right in understanding that when you pivot the rear end of the shock down low enough to engage the mounting holes on the swing arm, the top front edge of the can hits the underside f the top tube?  Short of having someone mill up some new swing linkages I can't think of a resolution for this.

Can you check and post the outer diameter of the can you have so others can check it against shocks they have.

Thanks for sharing that, I was close to pulling the trigger on a RS trunnion shock yesterday.

emu26

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2020, 04:34:22 PM »
Oh, and the obvious question, have you contacted the seller yet to see what they say?

northup

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2020, 06:29:03 PM »
I have contacted the seller. I'll get some measurements. Yes you're right in what you think is happening. In my picture with the hand, it actually sits in that position and is completely immobile, lined up more with the top tube than anywhere near the appropriate part of the linkage.

If anyone's in the market for a new 185x55 trunnion RS Deluxe Ultimate, let me know!  :'(

northup

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2020, 06:37:06 PM »
54mm diameter canister on the rs deluxe

emu26

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2020, 08:45:32 PM »
54mm diameter canister on the rs deluxe

From memory spacing between tabs was also 54mm. I know this doesn't help you but you'd think they would give another couple of mm clearance to the top to allow for the shock to pivot.  It would be wonderful if they actually specified the specific shock that the frame was actually tested with to try and save all of these types of issues.

emu26

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2020, 02:35:47 AM »
Looking at RS and Fox side by side I'm guessing the slightly splayed top edge of the Fox is enough to allow it to pivot and that little nib on the RS is what causes the problem.  Damn.

northup

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2020, 07:00:44 AM »
Yea, that's sort of what I'm thinking.  Though I'm not ready to put dollars down just to see if it will fit... I did reach out to ask if they have a list of shocks the bike can use, but I forget that when dealing with china, it's very likely that whatever you don't specify to a painfully specific degree will be wrong.

I'm looking at the new xfusion h3c shock too, looks like it will surely fit.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 07:12:40 AM by northup »

northup

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2020, 05:59:30 AM »
I found a good deal on a fox dpx2 185x55 trunnion that should come tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to getting that fitted. there's a lot less on the fox shocks above the mounts, so I don't think it will come in contact with the hood. Still waiting on the wheels and BB, but the initial assembly is looking pretty good, so I'm excited to finish it up. I'll be in CO for 3 weeks in september so I'll have a lot of trail/test/tinker time to dial things in - definitely looking forward to that, but I'm doubtful that the dairs wheels will come in time for that trip. I'll likely have to do a separate review later on.

emu26

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2020, 06:12:49 AM »
good stuff mate, hope it works.  Got a link to that good deal or was it a one off?