Author Topic: Carbonda Cfr 1056  (Read 91241 times)

FHS

Re: Carbonda Cfr 1056
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2021, 12:51:14 PM »
Thanks.

I'll expose my ignorance here, as I don't understand this.

As far as I know (not very far), tightening the hex nut on a compression plug expands it so that it grips the inside of the steerer, and that's all tightening it does. It's tightening the top cap on top of the stem that draws the steerer upwards, preloading the bearings.

What am I getting wrong?

Apologies, you are absolutely correct. I don't know what I was thinking. For sure, that's how the FSA system works with the integrated Chinese handlebar set-up on my frame, tighten the compression bolt, set the preload with the top cap bolt, then lock everything down with the stem bolts. I can't say for sure, but I can't imagine that it would work differently with the FSA top cover given the way the compression bolt works. 

jstrawks

« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2021, 02:08:31 PM »
Apologies, you are absolutely correct. I don't know what I was thinking. For sure, that's how the FSA system works with the integrated Chinese handlebar set-up on my frame, tighten the compression bolt, set the preload with the top cap bolt, then lock everything down with the stem bolts. I can't say for sure, but I can't imagine that it would work differently with the FSA top cover given the way the compression bolt works.

No worries. I'm still a little confused because the Carbonda integrated handlebars and the FSA ACR stem both use what looks like a cosmetic cap. The instructions for the FAS stem suggest otherwise. It indicates that the expander assembly is not included, but they show one of the longer variety. They say to slide it in, finger tight, and then tighten it to 6-9nm via the 5mm bolt. Then they say to tighten the top cap, which with this product that's what they're calling that piece that I thought was cosmetic, via a 6mm bolt, in order to preload the bearings.

This only makes sense to me if a) that piece they're calling a top cap is structural, and b) that 6mm bolt screws into the expander to draw it up as it's tightened...which I don't see as possible.

The closest thing I can find to this operation on youtube is at about 2:00 in this video:

https://youtu.be/eKd2nIo_W1o?t=119

jstrawks

« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2021, 02:14:55 PM »
Here's FSA's expander for ACR:

https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/star-nut-and-compression-device/road-mtb/compression-device-acr

I don't see any way a nut through that system'ss top cap would draw the steerer up to preload the bearings. Clearly there's something I don't know, here.

jstrawks

« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2021, 02:24:52 PM »
This clearly implies that the fixing bolt *does* attach to the expander and draw it up. I just don't see how.

https://shop.visiontechusa.com/en/files/index/download/id/20aec2220a8a56428675ea3c8bb38a0a652/

FHS

« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2021, 02:53:01 PM »
Once you have the set up, it will all make sense. The hex to tighten the compression plug/expander is definitely bigger than the top cap bolt, because #3 screws into the expander as shown. It doesn't take too much torque on the top cap screw to load the headset. If you have to tighten it too much, something is wrong. I can snap a couple of pictures once I'm home in a couple of hours.

jstrawks

« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2021, 03:06:08 PM »
Once you have the set up, it will all make sense. The hex to tighten the compression plug/expander is definitely bigger than the top cap bolt, because #3 screws into the expander as shown. It doesn't take too much torque on the top cap screw to load the headset. If you have to tighten it too much, something is wrong. I can snap a couple of pictures once I'm home in a couple of hours.

So there is one bolt inside the expander that, well...expands it, and a second bolt that goes though the shaped top cap and connects *to* the bolt in the expander, and tightening this second bolt draws the steerer upward, preloading the bearings?

St0mpB0x

« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2021, 10:16:33 PM »
Basically. That's how something like 99% of expander plugs work. Some Cervelo's have a plug you glue in place rather than an expanding plug.

Aesch

« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2021, 02:51:12 AM »
Yes, theoretically you press down on the spacers/stem around the steerertube to preload the bearings (instead of 'pulling up' so to speak).

jstrawks

« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2021, 06:59:40 AM »
Thanks. I ultimately found photos and videos that clarified this for me. The source of my confusion is that my circa 2003 Cane Creek threadless headset isn't like that at all.

On my current headset the principle is the same. I tighten the expander and then use the top cap to preload the bearing, but there's a difference.

My top cap *is* the bolt. It has a hex hole in the top of the cap.  A narrower part of the underside of the cap extends down to the expander and threads to the *outside* of where the nut in the expander enters. It doesn't have a bolt through a hole that threads in down inside of the expander bolt. Turning the entire top cap raises the expander.

I had no idea that my configuration was unusual, and that something else had become the norm in the interim.

Now it all makes perfect sense.

So, if that shoulder-shaped top cap on the Carbonda/FSA is what bears the compression load, I'm guessing it's strong enough for the initial pre-load of the bearings, until everything gets locked into place by the stem bolts. That suggests that piece is not plastic. Does anyone here know?

Aesch

« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2021, 07:28:26 AM »
It could well be (a form of) plastic. The compression needed to preload the bearings is not much.

Cme can tell us ;D

jstrawks

« Reply #160 on: August 11, 2021, 07:37:37 AM »
Have the examples of the CFR 1056 frames that have been delivered to you folks (which were intended for internal routing) delivered with routing guide lines through the frame? Were they delivered with the foam covering for lines and hoses that are intended to prevent rattling, or are those usually supplied with components (or purchased separately)?

Thanks.

svanimpe

« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2021, 09:36:21 AM »
I once asked Carbonda to include anti-noise foam tubes with my frame (696) but it was useless. The tubing was about 3x bigger than the hole you're supposed to push it through. I ended up buying Capgo noise foam. That worked perfectly.

jstrawks

« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2021, 10:01:04 AM »
I once asked Carbonda to include anti-noise foam tubes with my frame (696) but it was useless. The tubing was about 3x bigger than the hole you're supposed to push it through. I ended up buying Capgo noise foam. That worked perfectly.

Thanks.

jstrawks

« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2021, 10:53:02 AM »
I just ordered my frame.

I'm looking for recommendations for optimal pastes, lubricants, thread locks, grease and fluids for my upcoming build. What would you recommend for the following:

• Grease for seating the headset into the head tube
  • Lubricant the headset bearings
  • Carbon paste for attaching aluminum stem to the carbon steerer tube
  • Grease for treating the BSA68 threads before installing the bottom bracket
  • Lubricant for the bottom bracket bearings
  • Treating carbon seat tube before installing carbon seat post
  • Thread lock for SRAM hydraulic brake calipers
  • Lubricant for for thru-axles
  • Thread lock for thru axles
  • Lubricant for crankset spindle (SRAM GXP)
  • Thread lock for crankset spindle
  • Thread lock for pedals
  • DOT grease for connecting hydraulic brake hoses to calipers
  • DOT hydraulic brake fluid
  • Lubricant for installation of brake disk lock rings
  • Lubricant for installation for cassette
  • Thread lock for installation of rear derailleur

Please tell me if there's any place where I SHOULDN'T be using anything.

Please tell me about anything you think I've missed.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 11:07:58 AM by jstrawks »

Aesch

« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2021, 11:48:14 AM »
I never use thread lock.

Tacx carbon paste on steerer and seat post.
All installation part / threads I use Morgan aqua proof. Alternative is shimano 'anti seize'. Both work.
Bearing grease: shimano grease. You won't need this for a while with new bearings.