Author Topic: Carbonda Cfr 1056  (Read 90703 times)

Michi

Re: Carbonda Cfr 1056
« Reply #240 on: August 20, 2021, 02:01:32 PM »
Got it. After a closer look today by removing the bottom bracket guide I saw that the outer cable stops there. I was confused by the liner running through the guide upwards through the hole. Now it's crystal clear :-)
Today I've been fighting with the cable installation for the front derailleur. I guess htey have mostly 1x front or electronic gear in mind; it was a mess to get the cable into the bottom bracket guide. It is simply too tight: when the guide is insterted into the frame there is not enough space to slip the cable w. end cap into it. Slipping it into the guide when it is removed it is nearly impossible to put the guide back into the frame. Iwanted to install a liner to such a end cap like Aesch has posted but no chance. Had to cut and drill (I hate that at a new frame) and now I have the outer cable/end cap more or less clamped between the guide and the frame and a separate piece of liner from the guide up to the derailleur. Don't want to touch this soon again...
Also the gap between fork crown and frame is too tight; when preloading the headset it starts to rub, causing stick/slip. Have put a flat crown race fram another headset plus the FSA crown race; still a very small gap but no rubbing anymore.
Oh goog old times with cables outside and standard headsets!
When the kids are sleeping I move on...

jever98

« Reply #241 on: August 20, 2021, 02:27:18 PM »
Made my payment on the 5th August, and Wing today sent me a picture of the painted frame.

nice color! Blue chameleon?

fattyrice

« Reply #242 on: August 20, 2021, 05:28:51 PM »
nice color! Blue chameleon?

Thanks you! Yeap, Blue purple chameleon. I'm boring that way, but I love it.

fattyrice

« Reply #243 on: August 20, 2021, 05:36:00 PM »
Today I've been fighting with the cable installation for the front derailleur. I guess htey have mostly 1x front or electronic gear in mind; it was a mess to get the cable into the bottom bracket guide. It is simply too tight: when the guide is insterted into the frame there is not enough space to slip the cable w. end cap into it. Slipping it into the guide when it is removed it is nearly impossible to put the guide back into the frame. Iwanted to install a liner to such a end cap like Aesch has posted but no chance. Had to cut and drill (I hate that at a new frame) and now I have the outer cable/end cap more or less clamped between the guide and the frame and a separate piece of liner from the guide up to the derailleur. Don't want to touch this soon again...
Also the gap between fork crown and frame is too tight; when preloading the headset it starts to rub, causing stick/slip. Have put a flat crown race fram another headset plus the FSA crown race; still a very small gap but no rubbing anymore.
Oh goog old times with cables outside and standard headsets!
When the kids are sleeping I move on...

Thank you for the detailed description Michi. If it's convenient could you maybe snap some pictures? Particularly of your solution to the bottom bracket guide. Thanks in advance.

jstrawks

« Reply #244 on: August 20, 2021, 07:18:21 PM »
Has anyone else had this problem with the headset race on the fork crown at the bottom of the head tube?

adriaanm

« Reply #245 on: August 21, 2021, 01:51:00 AM »
Search the forum for “micro spacer”. They are frequently needed.

EDIT: sorry, I missed your issue is a the bottom of the head tube. Haven’t seen that before, usually the problem is at the top.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 01:52:53 AM by adriaanm »

cme

« Reply #246 on: August 21, 2021, 05:10:11 AM »
I was wondering what frame and fork weights people have been getting. Thanks for any info.
My matte black frames in size M were 1050 and 1062g. Cut fork was 463g.

Aesch

« Reply #247 on: August 21, 2021, 08:34:07 AM »
@Aesch - I've had it with an Ultegra RX dérailleur that the positioning relative to the cassette was off. It was how it was sitting on the hanger. Unlike some of the road dérailleurs, it's quite easy for something to be misaligned when installing.

So. Just checked everything, it is on right, connected straight. Hanger is straight. If I screw in the B screw it works to clear the stays but not necessary with the current 11 28. I guess if I fit a 11 34 or something it will work.

I Checked clearance too, I have >6mm of clearance on both sides of my current tyres. These are 29mm width as measured.

jstrawks

« Reply #248 on: August 21, 2021, 08:42:24 AM »
So. Just checked everything, it is on right, connected straight. Hanger is straight. If I screw in the B screw it works to clear the stays but not necessary with the current 11 28. I guess if I fit a 11 34 or something it will work.

I Checked clearance too, I have >6mm of clearance on both sides of my current tyres. These are 29mm width as measured.

What are your tires labeled? 28mm? That would mean anything up to a 40mm tire would fit! I'm probably going to use 30mm tires.

cme

« Reply #249 on: August 21, 2021, 09:49:21 AM »
Not the OP, but - while 32mm is the manufacturer's spec, there is a perhaps a couple mm more room. The engineering drawing for the fork shows a 40mm radius, and that's what I measure as well. For the frame, I didn't see a similar dimension - I measure 36-37mm (seat stays are at an angle, of course, so also depends how much higher the wider tire sits...).

I don't have anything larger than a 32mm road tire - and that does certainly fit with comfortable clearance.

I wonder if it's possible to squeeze a 700x35 on, if someone has one handy.

Aesch

« Reply #250 on: August 21, 2021, 10:05:28 AM »
My tyres are labeled 28 on 21 internal width wheel.
I've got a set of gp5000 in 32mm.on a 26 internal rim handy, they measure 34~35 ish. Ill test them ASAP.
40mm won't fit, I think the 35 is max with a slight margin all around.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 12:30:08 PM by Aesch »

Bonpensiero

« Reply #251 on: August 21, 2021, 01:15:50 PM »
35mm fits. A picture is attached.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 01:18:32 PM by Bonpensiero »

Parkerross

« Reply #252 on: August 21, 2021, 01:22:31 PM »
Have any of you used the carbonda wheelsets or ican?

cme

« Reply #253 on: August 21, 2021, 02:34:20 PM »
35mm fits.
Nice! Thanks for checking that! I didn't want to spend $100-150 on another set of tires only to find they didn't fit. :)

Sorry, no experience with ICAN or Carbonda wheelsets - I went with Light Bicycle and am pleased.

Michi

« Reply #254 on: August 22, 2021, 02:32:55 AM »
Thank you for the detailed description Michi. If it's convenient could you maybe snap some pictures? Particularly of your solution to the bottom bracket guide. Thanks in advance.
Ah sorry, I did not make pictures. I tried to make a scetch; basically the gap between frame an BB guide is REALLY tight, and with installed BB guide it is not possible to really push the cable from above through the downtube. Installation is now finally as shown in the scetch; but to get there was a pain...