Author Topic: Carbonda Cfr 1056  (Read 90702 times)

fattyrice

Re: Carbonda Cfr 1056
« Reply #270 on: August 26, 2021, 02:31:04 AM »
Just received my shipment after being given a tracking number on Tuesday. The box looks in good condition and I can't wait to open it once I'm off work.

Parkerross

« Reply #271 on: August 26, 2021, 10:50:26 AM »
Mine gets here monday...

svanimpe

« Reply #272 on: August 26, 2021, 03:15:41 PM »
I asked myself the same question :-) and afterwards also asked Wing. She replied that there are different batches of the CFR1056, and by mistake I received one with this specific "shape". I guess it is a variant intended for an bicycle OEM... Everything else islike shown on the drawings.

That reminds me of the first-gen FutureShock frames from Specialized. See for example https://www.specialized.com/be/en/roubaix-expert/p/115446?color=214966-115446
Although yours looks more "pointy" (like a fin) in that picture.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 03:26:44 PM by svanimpe »

chadrandom

« Reply #273 on: August 26, 2021, 09:18:21 PM »
Have any of you used the carbonda wheelsets or ican?

Also very interested to learn about anyone's experience with Carbonda wheels!

fattyrice

« Reply #274 on: August 27, 2021, 05:08:59 AM »
I'm in love with the finish! The frame was wrapped with bubble wrap and foam rolls with plastic caps over protrusions.

Definitely glad I went with a Carbonda over name brands (which in my country do not even have frames above 54cm).

This is a 56cm frame with 110*420 integrated handlebar. I highly recommend FSA headset for the integrated version. Going for Shimano 105 R7020 and Elite-Wheels BWT. Will update with better photos in the near future.

Closeup of the BSA86 BB

Peering down the headtube. I like the look of EPS molding. The bit coming off near the green QC sticker, I plan to use some clear nail polish.

Out of focus shot of the frame in real lighting conditions.

Weight of frame+seatpost  (1323g)

Weight of uncut fork (483g)

Weight of integrated handlebars (417g)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 05:39:02 AM by fattyrice »

Zdrenka89

« Reply #275 on: August 27, 2021, 05:13:55 AM »
Lovely bike! Congrats.  8)

Just wanted to let you know that imgur has a resize feature for the pictures. Makes it much easier to present them as the forum doesnt resize automatically.

svanimpe

« Reply #276 on: August 27, 2021, 07:20:09 AM »
What is the width of the chainstays at the rear flat mount points? I may have to give this frame a try too.

Michi

« Reply #277 on: August 27, 2021, 07:55:08 AM »
That reminds me of the first-gen FutureShock frames from Specialized. See for example https://www.specialized.com/be/en/roubaix-expert/p/115446?color=214966-115446
Although yours looks more "pointy" (like a fin) in that picture.
Could be that the OEM has a specific cover for the frame... for me it is no issue. I get a bag of spares for free as compensation; and the the shape does not really disturb.

jstrawks

« Reply #278 on: August 27, 2021, 08:48:28 AM »
I'm in love with the finish! The frame was wrapped with bubble wrap and foam rolls with plastic caps over protrusions.

Definitely glad I went with a Carbonda over name brands (which in my country do not even have frames above 54cm).

This is a 56cm frame with 110*420 integrated handlebar. I highly recommend FSA headset for the integrated version. Going for Shimano 105 R7020 and Elite-Wheels BWT. Will update with better photos in the near future.

Lovely frame.

Can you say more about how the Carbonda headset for the integrated bar is inferior to FSA's? I'm buying FAS's stem and have no objection to buying their headset. I could wait till after the frame with headset arrives to decide about ordering the FSA headset, but I'm very curious.

jever98

« Reply #279 on: August 27, 2021, 10:16:26 AM »

Nice! How heavy is the seatpost? Interested in the net frame weight

Closeup of the BSA86 BB

Peering down the headtube. I like the look of EPS molding. The bit coming off near the green QC sticker, I plan to use some clear nail polish.

Out of focus shot of the frame in real lighting conditions.

Weight of frame+seatpost  (1323g)

Weight of uncut fork (483g)

Weight of integrated handlebars (417g)

fattyrice

« Reply #280 on: August 27, 2021, 08:22:22 PM »
What is the width of the chainstays at the rear flat mount points? I may have to give this frame a try too.

Is this where you mean? I can take a more accurate measurement tomorrow if this is not sufficient.

Lovely frame.

Can you say more about how the Carbonda headset for the integrated bar is inferior to FSA's? I'm buying FAS's stem and have no objection to buying their headset. I could wait till after the frame with headset arrives to decide about ordering the FSA headset, but I'm very curious.

In order to have the expander flush with the top of the handlebar, you would need to have an offset of about 3mm due to the thickness of the part that sits on top of the fork and stops the expander from dropping straight in. In the image below, the top half is the FSA ACR expander, and the bottom half is the one Carbonda ships with the bike, which you can find on aliexpress. Both headsets were tightened to a semi-snug fit (expanded, but still able to rotate freely) so show where they would approximately sit within the steerer tube.

The FSA ACR expander covers a good region of where the stem bolts are. The Carbonda one barely covers half of the top bolt. Note that the expander cannot sit any higher. Although you can have the stem sit slightly lower, the length of the knurled region that pushes against the steerer tube is just about enough to cover the space between the two bolts and would need some fiddling to get right.

Also the knurling on the FSA ACR expander definitely feels like it has much more grip. When tightening both to a semi snug fit, I had a harder time extracting the FSA ACR expander.

The bearings I got from FSA also ran smoother. As for spacers, FSA spacers were out of stock, but I know they can be put together without removing any cables as they join at the space where the cables route (like a padlock), whereas the Carbonda ones join together at the gap for the steerer tube, with the gap for cables fixed.

I am aware that carbon tubes are strong when there are equal directional forces and that the Carbonda/AliExpress headset is sufficient for 99% use case, but I believe that the additional expense for a FSA headset is justified by having peace of mind.

Also, you cannot use the routing on the FSA ACR expander that was intended for the front brakes as it seems that Carbonda has routed the front brake hose to have a single entry single exit channel (from the flat mounts to a couple of inches above the crown race). If I try to push a routing cable from the top of the steerer tube, I couldn't get it to exit at the fork disc brake exit hole, though this could be ineptitude on my part. This doesn't bother me much as I'm okay with using the designed method of all four cables going down the same headset gap, but may be an annoyance to some.

In any case, Carbonda are pretty happy to accommodate to small customisations, and if someone were to want to definitely use the FSA ACR style routing, you could probably request for no channeling on the front brake hose.

jstrawks

« Reply #281 on: August 28, 2021, 07:36:33 AM »
In order to have the expander flush with the top of the handlebar, you would need to have an offset of about 3mm due to the thickness of the part that sits on top of the fork and stops the expander from dropping straight in. In the image below, the top half is the FSA ACR expander, and the bottom half is the one Carbonda ships with the bike, which you can find on aliexpress. Both headsets were tightened to a semi-snug fit (expanded, but still able to rotate freely) so show where they would approximately sit within the steerer tube.

The FSA ACR expander covers a good region of where the stem bolts are. The Carbonda one barely covers half of the top bolt. Note that the expander cannot sit any higher. Although you can have the stem sit slightly lower, the length of the knurled region that pushes against the steerer tube is just about enough to cover the space between the two bolts and would need some fiddling to get right.

Also the knurling on the FSA ACR expander definitely feels like it has much more grip. When tightening both to a semi snug fit, I had a harder time extracting the FSA ACR expander.

The bearings I got from FSA also ran smoother. As for spacers, FSA spacers were out of stock, but I know they can be put together without removing any cables as they join at the space where the cables route (like a padlock), whereas the Carbonda ones join together at the gap for the steerer tube, with the gap for cables fixed.

I am aware that carbon tubes are strong when there are equal directional forces and that the Carbonda/AliExpress headset is sufficient for 99% use case, but I believe that the additional expense for a FSA headset is justified by having peace of mind.

Also, you cannot use the routing on the FSA ACR expander that was intended for the front brakes as it seems that Carbonda has routed the front brake hose to have a single entry single exit channel (from the flat mounts to a couple of inches above the crown race). If I try to push a routing cable from the top of the steerer tube, I couldn't get it to exit at the fork disc brake exit hole, though this could be ineptitude on my part. This doesn't bother me much as I'm okay with using the designed method of all four cables going down the same headset gap, but may be an annoyance to some.

In any case, Carbonda are pretty happy to accommodate to small customisations, and if someone were to want to definitely use the FSA ACR style routing, you could probably request for no channeling on the front brake hose.

This is a GREAT reply. Thank you. I'm definitely going to spend the $42 FSA wants for their headset.

I have a couple of followup questions:

Did your FSA headset come with *no* spacers, or just no *extra* spacers?

If I understand correctly, FSA expects the front brake hose to run through the expander, down through the steerer and then exit the fork blade above the front brake flat mount. Carbonda expects the front brake hose to run down in front of the steerer, into the hole on the front side of the steerer, then out the hole above the front brake flat mount.

If I have that right, and since I'm planning to use FSA's headset and stem, not  their integrated handlebar/stem, do you see any reason that I can't route both brake hoses (there will be no derailleur cables or wires) where FSA shows the rear brake hose (red) in this illustration, and having the front brake hose run into and out of the two holes in the fork, as Carbonda intends?

cme

« Reply #282 on: August 28, 2021, 10:34:12 AM »
Definitely room for two brake cables down the spacers - no need to send any through the expansion/compression plug. That's how I routed mine.

FHS

« Reply #283 on: August 28, 2021, 11:33:27 AM »
The FSA ACR ships with *no* spacers. They have to be purchased seperately. The headset cover that ships with the headset is only compatible with their spacers, which are all only compatible with stems and bars compatible with the FSA ACR system. No worries though, the headset and lock ring will work perfectly well with any headset cover.

Just to clarify your stem height. My experience has been that the stem cannot be cut so that the top of the expander plug is flush with the bottom of the top cover. The entire system needs space above the expander plug for the stem to be compressed by the top cover bolt to load the headset.

Othey than that, I agree with fattyrice. Everything about the FSA ACR just works more reliably than the generic headset. Yoy may still have to be ready to make adjustments to the headset stack height, but that's trivial and is probably goibg to be true for any headset you choose to usr.

Parkerross

« Reply #284 on: August 28, 2021, 12:20:51 PM »
I don't think I'll be ordering the fsa head set. But I'm ordering the deda 70mm expander bunge. Thanks for the heads up