Author Topic: Carbonda Cfr 1056  (Read 90687 times)

jstrawks

Re: Carbonda Cfr 1056
« Reply #390 on: November 19, 2021, 07:18:44 PM »
Thanks.
Is this a 56 or 58 frame?

It's a medium.

jstrawks

« Reply #391 on: November 19, 2021, 07:23:57 PM »
Nice looking bike. Which stem did you use?
I'm planning to order one frame in the next (few) week(s). I'm looking for a stem with internal cable routing, 80mm long, +6 or 0 degree stem. Any tips?

I used the FSA VISION SMR  90mm w/ spacers and the ACR plate to go with the FSA ACR headset.

silk_91

« Reply #392 on: November 20, 2021, 04:09:14 AM »
Thanks a lot! What is your saddle height from the BB? Mine would be 76cm and I am not sure if the seat tube is too short for that, meaning whether the saddle post goes into the seat tube deep enough?

jstrawks

« Reply #393 on: November 20, 2021, 08:54:55 AM »
Thanks a lot! What is your saddle height from the BB? Mine would be 76cm and I am not sure if the seat tube is too short for that, meaning whether the saddle post goes into the seat tube deep enough?

My seat isn't really dialed in, but as it sits, it's 67.5. I have to pull the seat post and put some carbon paste on it. When I do, I'll report back how much length  I still have to the minimum insertion mark, if there is one.

jstrawks

« Reply #394 on: November 20, 2021, 09:06:36 AM »
There's a good 10cm it can be raised before minimum insertion. Depending on the saddle, you could be good up to about 78cm.

silk_91

« Reply #395 on: November 20, 2021, 01:23:09 PM »
You can certainly choose not to feed cables through the handlebars - just tape them to the bars. Or I suppose you could feed them into the holes marked 16.2*12 and out the holes marked 16*8.5.

Then feed the cables into the holes in either side or top of the frame. No changes to headset or anything aftermarket required.

I've built two of these - one with a flat handlebar & necessarily external cable routing - and one with Carbonda's handlebar and internal cable routing. No regrets with either.

With 4 „cables“ or only 2 meaning wireless group?
I am planning with Shimano 105, not sure if I should go for the fully hidden installation.

FritsK

« Reply #396 on: November 23, 2021, 06:56:11 AM »
I used the FSA VISION SMR  90mm w/ spacers and the ACR plate to go with the FSA ACR headset.
Thanks for letting me know!

My goal is to have a neat integrated setup with a mechanical disc 105 or Ultegra groupset. Does anyone current have an integrated mechanical groupset on this frame?
Integrated cables means an integrated bar. I'm not as agile as most riders according to my bikefitter, so this could be tricky...but I still want to try this.

I found an integrated bar with an 80mm stem on AE (Ryet Alanera) and a small 7degree drop. Using this I'd need about 70mm of height from the stack-height of the frame (which is calculated without headset, right?). So getting a headset (~10mm), some spacers (~40mm) and the half height of the integrated bar (~20mm) and I should be fine.

I didn't find any integrated bars with a 0 or +7 degree rise. Which may also be a bit weird  :o. Nor did I find any stems of 80mm for (semi-)integrated cables with a 0 degree drop or slight rise (up to 7 degree) to prevent using many spacers. So I guess it's either a stack of spacers or a non-integrated setup.
Or do you have any suggestions of integrated bars / (semi-)integrated stems?

Thanks. I finally got out on a ride working full time and two kids makes it difficult to get out. It rides pretty good I don't have a ton to compare it to. On gravel it's def a bit bumpier than my rondo ruut I had previous with 650b x 2.2 tires. But on road it feels really good compared to the rondo. I only did a 12 mile ride and my seatpost came loose by the end so I need to put some more carbon paste I guess. But over happy with it. Also it's a chain stay for forbidden druid MTB
What size frame did you use (L? XL?) and how many spacers did you use on that last picture where your bike is leaning against a tree?

Carbonda CFR 1056

cme

« Reply #397 on: November 30, 2021, 07:52:58 PM »
With 4 „cables“ or only 2 meaning wireless group?
I am planning with Shimano 105, not sure if I should go for the fully hidden installation.
Apologies for delayed response - the integrated build was wireless, so just the 2 hydraulic cables running through the handlebar. Fully integrated makes for a really clean look. The handlebar, headset, spacers, and frame are designed to also accept 4 cables.

In my mind, the larger concern with a fully integrated handlebar is that you have to guess at the perfect reach dimension (and width as well, I suppose) sight-unseen on an also unseen frame. So this path may be best suited for folks that are: a) habitually lucky, b) happen to have measurements perfectly dialed, or c) are willing to accept that the first handlebar may not work perfectly.

svanimpe

« Reply #398 on: December 04, 2021, 10:14:33 AM »
I also found it hard to use the BB guide for the FD cable. I'd prefer to use a cable stop where the outer goes into the BB guide, but that was impossible to achieve.

What I ended up doing was:

- Use the yellow guide tubes to pull an outer cable from the downtube hole to the BB. I just tied the outer cable to the guide tube.
- Fit it with an inner cable.
- Push the outer cable back up into the frame a bit so it's out the way.
- Pull the inner cable through the BB guide and put the BB guide in place. This should work fine if the outer cable is still in the frame.
- Push the outer cable down again. The inner cable should guide it into the BB.

I haven't finished building the bike yet, but the shifting cable seems to move fine.

Irideslowly

« Reply #399 on: January 13, 2022, 05:47:23 AM »

What handlebars did you use with this setup?

jstrawks

« Reply #400 on: January 13, 2022, 07:18:21 AM »
What handlebars did you use with this setup?

Prime Doyenne Aero...the alloy model, not the carbon.

Michi

« Reply #401 on: January 16, 2022, 02:48:07 AM »
Nice wheather yesterday here in greater Stuttgart area, so i took the chance to... no, not ride:-( but to take some pics of the (95%) final state of my 1056. I changed the stem several times; now with a Rose Race Attack I'm pretty satisfied as it matches well the frame tube shapes (flat at the top) and the matte color. Setup is "full mechanical" incl. brakes (TRP Spyre SLC). With 160mm front and 140mm rear the performance is fine for a road bike; a bit more would alway be nice (heard of magical "ceramic" pads from the far east ;-)). I tried to run the cables as smooth as possible. With the nice polished parts at the brake calipers and the crank brothers pedals I tried some aluminium bottle cages; from my point of view it matches quite well. Anyway with bottles in them you won't really recognize them anymore... Some plotted decals to be done including giving the baby a name. I think of "1a n3ra" (read: la nera") and make some fun out of the "13" raplcing "lE". Main thing is: color or black reflective? And if color: which? A well known member of this forum is supporting me strongly, but I'm still undecided...
New year update: some might remember that I have that my 1056 has a special top tube shape around the upper headset area. Wing confirmed that the frame was wrongly delivered. It is an OEM design... I asked whether she could tell me the OEM, so I could purchase the matching headset (cover). She said that's not possible, instead she offered to create and send me a specific top cap  ;). It's made of aluminum, surely 3D printed.
With internal routing the installation is quite some effort; as I have everything mechanical at least I did not need to remove hydraulic lines. Anyway, now it's done. the cap is even superior to the FSA cap, as every cable runs through a separate hole with it's own rubber seal.
Some modifications were required anyway: the gap in the compression ring was too small to route all 4 cables, so I had to cut small "cake pieces" from it, and with the FSA bearings the gap btw. cap and frame was sligtly too tight. To install the microspacers I had to Dremel away the two pins that fix the top cap in the compression ring. Now they are aligned just by the cables, but no issues with that. Again I'm really impressed by the service Carbonda provides.

jstrawks

« Reply #402 on: January 16, 2022, 07:03:13 AM »
You're a more accommodating customer than I would have been in that situation. I'd have repeated the mantra "send me the correct frame" as many times as it would have taken for them to do so, and make me go away.

Michi

« Reply #403 on: January 16, 2022, 07:22:17 AM »
You're a more accommodating customer than I would have been in that situation. I'd have repeated the mantra "send me the correct frame" as many times as it would have taken for them to do so, and make me go away.
IF I wouldn't have desperately been waiting for the frame, and if I would have read the reports about successful claims before, most likely I would have done so ;-)

jstrawks

« Reply #404 on: January 16, 2022, 07:32:41 AM »
IF I wouldn't have desperately been waiting for the frame, and if I would have read the reports about successful claims before, most likely I would have done so ;-)

I can understand that. I had the luxury of having a three-month wait for my groupset, so I could have worked on them about the frame for quite a while. My groupset wound up arriving much sooner than expected, but I didn't know that would happen.