Author Topic: Carbonda Cfr 1056  (Read 90684 times)

gbrnole

Re: Carbonda Cfr 1056
« Reply #480 on: October 17, 2022, 12:38:46 PM »
Someone on youtube mentioned that Carbonda might have redesigned the 1056 to accept slightly wider tyres (38 mm instead of 32).
If true, this would really move the bike even further into the all-road terrain, even if it does not turn it into a gravel bike proper.

Has anyone confirmed this? The specs on the website have not changed (yet?)

keep in mind that he's running schwalbe G-One 38 width tires so they probably measure 36 wide at best real world unless he's running some very wide internal rim width. i don't think i've seen a wide schwalbe gravel tire (>35) come close to its stated width yet, they all tend to be 2-4mm under the stated width.

fortunately we have some pics in this thread of real world 35mm and 38mm width (regardless of what the tire says on its sidewall) to get an idea of how tight the clearances are.

dreddie

« Reply #481 on: November 02, 2022, 04:16:32 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new here. I have been reading this thread over the past few weeks.

I'm in the process of placing an order for a 1056 frameset , pearl copper colour. I plan to build it with a GRX groupset that I am taking off another bike.

I just want to say thanks to all the contributors for a really great information resource.

msm626

« Reply #482 on: November 04, 2022, 10:25:31 AM »
Another thank you for this forum (as well as certain individuals I ping'd directly) for the content here. I just ordered a 1056 and looking forward to building it once it arrives. Once built, I'll share the build details (parts, cost, etc.). First time I'm doing this, so should be an interesting experience!

Pharaohollie

« Reply #483 on: November 11, 2022, 09:46:46 AM »
I have a curious issue with one of two 1056 frames I've taken delivery of recently.

There seems to be what sounds like sand or grit inside one of the tubes that causes this annoying noise when the frame is tilted. It is super obvious and not subtle at all. I can't seem to get it out of any of the tubes using compressed air or vacuuming or any other method. Hard to exactly pinpoint where the material is trapped but it is most obvious around the downtube and chainstay areas.

Where would such sand/grit (or otherwise mystery remnants of the manufacturing process) be trapped? Aren't all tubes open on the inside or do any of the tubes have any recesses that do not open to connected tubes?

This is driving me a bit crazy.

Carbonda has not been of much help so far. Advised removal of PTFE tubes and seeing if the noise disappears which has already been done.

Any advice appreciated.

carbonazza

« Reply #484 on: November 11, 2022, 04:24:18 PM »
I would try to push and pull a cable or a hose from the back in the chainstay in various directions to maybe catch a debris stuck there.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #485 on: November 11, 2022, 10:12:37 PM »
I have a curious issue with one of two 1056 frames I've taken delivery of recently.

There seems to be what sounds like sand or grit inside one of the tubes that causes this annoying noise when the frame is tilted. It is super obvious and not subtle at all. I can't seem to get it out of any of the tubes using compressed air or vacuuming or any other method. Hard to exactly pinpoint where the material is trapped but it is most obvious around the downtube and chainstay areas.

Where would such sand/grit (or otherwise mystery remnants of the manufacturing process) be trapped? Aren't all tubes open on the inside or do any of the tubes have any recesses that do not open to connected tubes?

This is driving me a bit crazy.

Carbonda has not been of much help so far. Advised removal of PTFE tubes and seeing if the noise disappears which has already been done.

Any advice appreciated.

I would try flushing the frame out with water, if you’re able to. Like, a lot of strongly flowing water. Shaken up inside the frame if possible.

It’s been my experience that Carbonda frames do come with some factory carbon dust in them and if some of that was bigger chips/flakes or accumulated in one spot for whatever reason I could see it sounding like this…

Pharaohollie

« Reply #486 on: November 15, 2022, 02:52:01 PM »
I would try to push and pull a cable or a hose from the back in the chainstay in various directions to maybe catch a debris stuck there.

Already done that. Compressed air, vaccum with a slim hose through the BB, long bottle brush. No effect.

I would try flushing the frame out with water, if you’re able to. Like, a lot of strongly flowing water. Shaken up inside the frame if possible.
I would be hesitant to do this. Not sure what the long-term effect of any trapped moisture would be, especially given that the BB shell is a bonded insert.

Carbonda's "solution" was hilarious though.  They advised to "drill a small hole inside of seatstay and fill with foam spray". Yeah, no!

The frame is otehrwise lovely and the other one is faultless. Just going to have it built up.

carbonazza

« Reply #487 on: November 15, 2022, 04:51:09 PM »
...I would be hesitant to do this. Not sure what the long-term effect of any trapped moisture would be, especially given that the BB shell is a bonded insert...
It is not that uncommon. Some water will find its way into the frame.
When it's raining through the seatpost for instance, or when cleaning the bike.
And it usually stagnate around the BB, unless there is a drain hole at the bottom of the frame to evacuate.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #488 on: November 15, 2022, 06:44:39 PM »
It is not that uncommon. Some water will find its way into the frame.

Oh, I absolutely understand that. It's just that I think it is one thing that some moisture ingress inside the frame is inevitable and harmless, and another is to force-flood the inside of the frame with water. Maybe I am being too cautious, I don't know.

In any case, this should be a non-issue now because while that noise is annoying in a quiet room, it will not be audible once the bike is built up and being actually ridden.

avocadobike

« Reply #489 on: November 16, 2022, 02:33:59 AM »
Finally got mine built. Going for a shortish ride tomorrow to sort out some adjustments

that looks real nice! how are you finding the groupset and what is the total weight os the frame?

Pharaohollie

« Reply #490 on: November 16, 2022, 10:30:26 AM »
question about fully integrated routing:

I recall seeing someone post about an internal routing option for the fork in this thread. The forks shipped with my frames didn't have internal routing ports in the steer tube. Is it something you should request on placing the order if you want it as an option?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 11:11:17 AM by Pharaohollie »

Hd78

« Reply #491 on: December 06, 2022, 12:34:50 PM »
question about fully integrated routing:

I recall seeing someone post about an internal routing option for the fork in this thread. The forks shipped with my frames didn't have internal routing ports in the steer tube. Is it something you should request on placing the order if you want it as an option?
When I order mine, the rep gave me the option to choose the option I want.

IL_EH_75

« Reply #492 on: December 10, 2022, 12:51:57 AM »
Hi. How is the riding bike build with this frame?
What about maximum wheel clearance?
It is one of my options for the next build.

msm626

« Reply #493 on: February 04, 2023, 11:42:57 PM »
Hey all. I’m close to finishing my build. Unfortunately, the lock ring on the front brake rotor is rubbing on the fork. Specifically, where the fork bumps out to accommodate the brake caliper fixing bolt seems to come out too far. Anyone run into this and solved it?

I attached a photo showing the issue. The through axle isn’t tightened down in the photo, but when it is, the rub is bad enough that the wheel barely turns.

carbonazza

« Reply #494 on: February 05, 2023, 01:23:21 AM »
...the rub is bad enough that the wheel barely turns.

If you put the other type of lock ring, that you can tighten with the same tool as for a cassette, you should be fine.