Author Topic: LCFS947 - 160mm 4-bar 27+/29  (Read 58144 times)

SimonPeaime

Re: LCFS947 - 160mm 4-bar 27+/29
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2021, 02:21:17 PM »
It doesn't seem to get loose for me, the bolt diameter is simply too small (aka not 10mm like it should) so the shock mounting washers as a bit of play vertically.

Another thing, i would recommend for everyone to take the time to remove all bolts from the linkage to clean and regrease the bearings. I have done it on my bike and noticed loads of carbon shavings in the linkage bolts and bearings. Over time these shavings seem to breakdown and grind the bearings and links so probably a good idea to look into it sooner than later.

And yes, i also notice that the solid Loctite was garbage.

Cheers.

mbarronj

« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2021, 10:35:01 AM »
I should show off my build. Size lg, with LightCarbon AD940 rims on DTswiss 350's.
I love how this bike rides. It climbs amazingly, accelerates great even uphill. It handles technical climbing with aplomb. It descends like magic. Handles berms exceedingly well.

The only things I don't love about it are:
1. Dropper post insert length is very short. It's been discussed, but without experiencing it I didn't have a feel for the impact. I really need the shortest 120mm dropper available for my riding. I think I have about 180 mm from top of the seattube collar to the bottom of the clamp in pedaling position, for reference. That means my total length would have to be ~350mm. The OneUp is 360 total, so that's about ideal. I grabbed an XFusion 150 - and this was a mistake. Nice post, but way too long.

2. Factory loctite is not great.

3. Factory bolt QC could be better. I'm not let down at this price point, but it might be worth measuring and having new ones made. I did find metal shavings in the female threads of the shock mounting bolt. I also hit those with my calipers, which are fairly trustworthy. The seemed about right. I don't know what the fit/tolerance should be, but I don't think it's undersized. I got my bearing kit from OffsetBearings.com - out of the UK. It was beautifully machined brass and aluminum, with a DU bush. I don't think I wrote down the diameters, or I would look up the fit range. I could ask them, they'd know. But, I didn't have any problems too much clearance. As I said, I had to use a makeshift press for install. The thru-bolt itself took some convincing, but did not need a press. It is the bolt that most frequently loosens. I should measure it's length to keep track of elongation too. I'll take measurements when I re-do all the bolts at SimonPeaime's suggestion.

4. Cable housing rattle. I think there are some ways to fix this, but I haven't really tried. It's not a major problem.

5. I hamfisted the headset install. Forgot to do one cup at a time. I think it's fine, installed well enough. But there's a bit of a gap on the rear of the top cup. I'm not sure at this point if that's my doing, or just where the frame doesn't quite meet the headset. Not a concern, but makes the list.

6. Cable housing exit grommets are iffy.

Otherwise the frame has been a dream. I ride it pretty hard. I've hit a number of drops, jumps, and technical chunky lines. Aside from the already mentioned bolt loosening, no worries or creaks. I went OTB on a missed rock drop a few weeks ago, bent a rotor, and cracked a seatstay.

Don't have pics at the moment - but I'm impressed at how well it stood up. I'll have a dissection and deep dive into it as I repair it.
Need to get a replacement. But, I've been riding it equally hard with crack, just covered by helicopter tape. It hasn't complained or killed me yet, and does not seem to have grown. So, beyond the obvious "do as I say not as I do" warning to not ride cracked carbon fiber like an idiot (i.e. me), it's impressive.

mbarronj

« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2021, 10:37:51 AM »
Ha did the attachments wrong. More pics:

zaphodbeeblebrox

« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2021, 09:24:49 AM »

Added some nylon washers to hopefully prevent the mounting hardware getting messed up again. Ordered a set on Amazon, ended up using M12s, and had to file down the inner diameter to get them to fit.

riding_truckee

« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2021, 02:16:36 AM »
SimonPeaime: the chainstay protector that you are using seems to fit the frame perfectly.

Are you happy with it and do you mind sharing model/brand and where you got it?

BTW, my frame now has about 1k miles on it with not issue. I'm a happy camper!

Nick711

« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2021, 07:22:32 PM »
New to the forum and I'm wondering how some of you guys decided on a frame size? I typically ride a large but I'm on the fence about ordering an XL this go around. I'm 6'2.

emu26

« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2021, 12:53:23 AM »
SimonPeaime: the chainstay protector that you are using seems to fit the frame perfectly.

Are you happy with it and do you mind sharing model/brand and where you got it?

BTW, my frame now has about 1k miles on it with not issue. I'm a happy camper!

Looks like this one, hoping he will confirm soon
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002548747061.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.360c395evH8puB&algo_pvid=4c412cdb-5a85-47e3-8e4d-ae50bdab821f&algo_exp_id=4c412cdb-5a85-47e3-8e4d-ae50bdab821f-5

idaho_h2o

« Reply #142 on: July 26, 2021, 01:23:08 AM »
New to the forum and I'm wondering how some of you guys decided on a frame size? I typically ride a large but I'm on the fence about ordering an XL this go around. I'm 6'2.

I'm 6'4" and wouldn't mind if the XL was slightly bigger... think you'd be good.  I'd try and do the calculation on the seat tube/ crank length/ desired dropper length on this bike.  If that part works for you I'd think you'd like the XL.

SimonPeaime

« Reply #143 on: July 26, 2021, 08:32:45 AM »
Hi,

The chainstay protector actually came with the frame. It is the exact same model as the one from aliexpress. Unfortunately, it is too short and the chain still nicks the paint close to the chainring and the cassette. Moreover, it has started to peel and loose some pieces. I have ordered a chainstay protector for the nukeproof mega and i plan on modifying it a bit to make it fit. Someone else in this thread did that and it seemed to have worked well. I used a mega downtube protector on the frame and it fits perfectly and its holding up great, i am hoping i can achieve similar results with the chainstay.

Hope this helps!

BTW, i was wondering if other people using this frame and problems with pedal strikes? The BB is quite low and i find myself hitting my pedals quite often when climbing. Maybe i just suck lol

mbarronj

« Reply #144 on: July 26, 2021, 09:58:38 AM »
Hi,

The chainstay protector actually came with the frame. It is the exact same model as the one from aliexpress. Unfortunately, it is too short and the chain still nicks the paint close to the chainring and the cassette. Moreover, it has started to peel and loose some pieces. I have ordered a chainstay protector for the nukeproof mega and i plan on modifying it a bit to make it fit. Someone else in this thread did that and it seemed to have worked well. I used a mega downtube protector on the frame and it fits perfectly and its holding up great, i am hoping i can achieve similar results with the chainstay.

Hope this helps!

BTW, i was wondering if other people using this frame and problems with pedal strikes? The BB is quite low and i find myself hitting my pedals quite often when climbing. Maybe i just suck lol

I've also had a bit more pedal strikes, but I don't think the bike is to blame. It's a very different geometry than my previous ride, and I don't think the BB is that low - the chainring clears things easily. I think it's just riding style and timing. I haven't had a problem since I've "Adjusted" to the way the bike is.

I helicoper-taped the chainstay before putting the included rubber bit on. The whole assembly looks pretty good, I'm loving the heli tape.

idaho_h2o

« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2021, 02:37:41 PM »
No major issues with pedal strikes either but I'm running 29 x 2.6 rear, 3.0 front and a Mezzer at 170mm.  I'm also running an Absolute Black chain guide/ bashguard combo.  Haven't actually measured bb height but seems to do fine in chunky, rocky tech... only noticed hitting the bashguard a few times so far.

I'm running a Mara Pro shock (had to use the smaller air can to clear frame) and it seems to stay up in the travel nicely.

If you're already running a tall set up, it might just be getting used to a longer front center? 

idaho_h2o

« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2021, 02:43:53 PM »
Simon-
Just checked out your pics, looks like you're running 27.5 x 2.4.  I went through this on my last bike, finally caved and went 29 and cured all the problems I had with pedal strikes in tech sections and really didn't give up much of the fun factor.  If you're willing to make the trade off for the bigger wheels, I can attest that it rides great and still carves like mad with the 29ers.

Nick711

« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2021, 06:43:31 PM »
I'm 6'4" and wouldn't mind if the XL was slightly bigger... think you'd be good.  I'd try and do the calculation on the seat tube/ crank length/ desired dropper length on this bike.  If that part works for you I'd think you'd like the XL.

I ended up ordering the large, I went back through this thread and noticed a few guys comments about being similar hight and going with a large. I also ordered an extra set of bearings/hardware and a headset.

I haven't built a bike in years and am very excited to start gathering parts.

riding_truckee

« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2021, 12:44:37 AM »
Re: chainstay protector

thank you for your comments SimonPeaime and idaho_h2o!
My frame came without protector, so I got this: https://www.forbiddenbike.com/products/chainstay-protector, without researching it much.
It turned out to be twice as long as needed. After cutting most of the front part, it fit pretty well and it has been doing the job for a while.
Now the front part, close to the chainring, is peeling off..

Iroise

« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2021, 01:00:01 AM »
Hi,
So lot of good information here ! i have finaly ordered an L frame and a set of 29 Wheels.
Now i must find all the other pieces.
Question about the fork and geometry : it is written on the data front fork must be 160-170mm. What is it best to buy ?, a 160mm or a 170mm ? it is linked with the choice with rear suspension ?
Thanks
PS : excuse me for poor english !