Author Topic: 29er hardtail  (Read 8258 times)

Jotegr

Re: 29er hardtail
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2020, 09:41:49 AM »
Oh man, what a great name! Jessica Hunk lol.

Rick64

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2020, 09:11:17 AM »

Medium frame ordered today!  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000960721251.html  ;D They weren't the cheapest price for the frame but hopefully the most reliable vendor! and promised a free spare rear mech hager ::)

Rick64

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2020, 09:13:42 AM »
Nice to see I'm not the only one that doesn't ride with the stem slammed anymore (old age  ;D ;D)

Here is an FM386 size XL from Carbonda I've built recently.

The bar is from Carbonda
The seatpost is an Elita One from Aliexpress
XT BR-M8100/BR-M8120 brakes
SRAM AXS
SID Ultimate 2020 100mm
LightBicycle wheels

Same good quality as usual, frame and paint.
No issue to report and the user is very happy  :)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 01:10:56 PM by Rick64 »

carbonazza

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2020, 03:00:21 PM »
Nice to see I'm not the only one that doesn't ride with the stem slammed anymore (old age  ;D ;D)

If you look again, it is slammed! Well... 5 or 7º  ;)

I start always conservative, when I build a bike for someone who is not very sure.
Full stack of spacers, and flat stem, we'll see in the coming months if we cut the fork more and slam it.
This is an XL, and still a bit small for the guy.

Jarne

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 03:23:54 AM »
Hi guys,

I did order a frame on aliexpress (I did some research to make sure it wasn't crap) and wheels, stem and handlebar from lightcarbon. Everything seems fine, I'm putting everything together at the moment and it looks absolutely fabulous! (in my opninion :p) Photos are coming when the bike is ready to ride!
I think she will be finished tomorrow!

hemp22

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 11:49:21 PM »
To piggyback on this thread....
I’m also looking for a 29er hardtail from a seller with a good reputation.
But, I specifically am looking for something with a 27.2 seat tube, and workable with a 120 fork. Boost would be nice, but not required.
Anyone have a recommendation?  So far, options seem limited and  I’m looking at Tantan, LightCarbon, and DIYCarbonBikes....any strong opinions on those? Or anyone have other recommendations?

Thanks

Jarne

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2020, 04:04:51 AM »
I have a frame with all the same specifications, didn't test the frame yet because the delivery of some parts are taking longer then expected... Here is a photo of it standing around (with 120mm fork).

Shinso

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2020, 03:38:47 AM »

Medium frame ordered today!  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000960721251.html  ;D They weren't the cheapest price for the frame but hopefully the most reliable vendor! and promised a free spare rear mech hager ::)

Rick64 - really interested to see what your ChEpic HT will be like, are you getting it painted? Looking to order one myself.

Rick64

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2020, 02:43:42 PM »
Hi,Shinso

Just Matte Black, apparently it shipped today! Beatrice was very helpful and included a free spare rear mech hanger. Not sure when it will arrive as used duty free shipping option but hopefully about 21 days!! Just ordered the SPECIALIZED HDS CANE CREEK, CAA2016,41.8 / 28.6 / FLAT IS52 / 40 W / AL RACE SEAL, CROWN RACE FOR MY20 EPIC / EPIC HT SW (I found the bearing sizes supplied on another sellers advert and they match so hopefully drop in!) and an s-works 70mm 6 degree stem, I have some s-works carbon flat bars but may order the new Specialized S-works Carbon Mini Rise Handlebars  2020 when their in stock (28/12/2020 apparently) as Id cut mine down to 680mm and want them about 720mm.

Who are you thinking of ordering from?

Shinso

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2020, 10:31:51 AM »
Hi,Shinso

Just Matte Black, apparently it shipped today! Beatrice was very helpful and included a free spare rear mech hanger. Not sure when it will arrive as used duty free shipping option but hopefully about 21 days!! Just ordered the SPECIALIZED HDS CANE CREEK, CAA2016,41.8 / 28.6 / FLAT IS52 / 40 W / AL RACE SEAL, CROWN RACE FOR MY20 EPIC / EPIC HT SW (I found the bearing sizes supplied on another sellers advert and they match so hopefully drop in!) and an s-works 70mm 6 degree stem, I have some s-works carbon flat bars but may order the new Specialized S-works Carbon Mini Rise Handlebars  2020 when their in stock (28/12/2020 apparently) as Id cut mine down to 680mm and want them about 720mm.

Who are you thinking of ordering from?

That sounds like a promising build!

If your experience is good then I guess I'll be tempted to use the same vendor.  It looks like they will do the OEM paintjobs.  Are you sure it doesn't already come with a headset?  I have some decent carbon finishing kit to put on it (carbon Romin Evo, Deda Mudcross 720mm bars, Uno 60mm stem, absolute black top cap & expander, ESI chunkies), plus will order some superlight Chinese carbon wheels with Novatec 411/412 boost hubs and a mainly XT groupset but for some XX1 carbon cranks.  I want to try the Ztto superlight cassette.  Hopefully can also pick up a lightly used Fox 32 SC too, with a view to having it all ready for Spring! Until then, I'll continue to trudge through the slop of a South Oxon winter on my Boardman Pro 29er...

Rick64

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2020, 02:56:24 PM »
It does come with a headset but I want to use the Cane Creek if I can, I like the flush headset top cap look. I'll run my fox factory 32sc on it, just need to drop my rear wheel to the wheel builders to change 240 142 rear hub to DT 240 148 exp ( they had one in stock and priced matched Star Bikes internet price ) when i had the wheels built they sized the spokes to take ta boost hub as about 1mm longer on drive side I think. Hoping my GXP xx1 crank works with a 3mm offset chainring so I can use my left side Stages power meter, re use my xtr brakes.... That is of course if the frame is good when it arrives! An age old school friend owns his own paint shop so I could get a good paint job on it but I like the matte black because I don't have to worry about scuffing the paint..... Im hoping it arrives about first week of December or sooner!!

Rick64

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 01:43:32 PM »
Notification received today that my frame will finally be delivered by DPD on Wednesday after a long and painful delivery time due to covid-19 and Bexit delays at the DPD warehouse, fingers cross it arrives undamaged after storage!

Rick64

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2021, 02:43:46 AM »

The frame arrived eventually on Sunday!!  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000960721251.html

Bearings are a sloppy fit in the head tube as its not correctly formed, carbon contact area is minimal, You can't drop a Specialized headset in ( I had a genuine Crane Creek AER ) as the top bearing sits too high and again a sloppy fit due to poor carbon construction, bottom bearing just falls out with no interference fit as with the top. The rear mech hanger seems of brittle construction and again you can't replace with a genuine specialized sandwich hanger as it doesn't fit. The free! seat post is utter junk due to the clamping hardware being of extremely poor and crude manufacturing and too wide to fit between the saddle rails. Seat post clamp is cheap and nasty. The carbon construction around the seat tube isn't of uniform construction, thinner on one side. BB seems to be parallel and the threads are ok. Rear brake calliper mounting posts will require filing flat. Frame weighed 833g without the hardware, paint was ok! Although EPS mandril formed the frame is still a little rough internally. Is it worth the money? NO. The frame comes with a thin black latex coating sprayed over it to disguise the graphics, S-Works clone!!!

RobinRLS

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2021, 03:10:02 AM »
Indeed I thought that for this price, finishing would be almost perfect...
Is it possible to give us pictures to illustrate what you describe ? Thanks by advance  ;)

Jarne

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2021, 03:14:08 AM »
My bxt frame (probably the cheapest you can find) was very good quality... I guess it's still a little bit of a gamble sometimes. I hope you can get warranty or something...