Author Topic: Stumpjumper clone  (Read 47238 times)

swuw231

Re: Stumpjumper clone
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2021, 09:57:21 PM »
Its been a while since I posted to this thread and since I had some people PM me regarding how I handled the cable exit port, I wanted to share my 2 cents:

-Specialized uses a a rubber sleeve which serves as the perfect transition as it encloses the cables from the downtube to the chainstays as well as keeping any dirt and water from entering the frame, I tried to source the part but was unable to find it anywhere.
-In the end I figured out to use something to plug the hole, so I looked for some firewall oval rubber grommets over Amazon, fit them to the frame and made 2 holes for the cables to pass.

So far it has worked quite well, no debris nor water inside frame and does not look bat at all.

Hopefully someone will find this useful  :)

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2021, 11:46:00 AM »
Its been a while since I posted to this thread and since I had some people PM me regarding how I handled the cable exit port, I wanted to share my 2 cents:

-Specialized uses a a rubber sleeve which serves as the perfect transition as it encloses the cables from the downtube to the chainstays as well as keeping any dirt and water from entering the frame, I tried to source the part but was unable to find it anywhere.
-In the end I figured out to use something to plug the hole, so I looked for some firewall oval rubber grommets over Amazon, fit them to the frame and made 2 holes for the cables to pass.

So far it has worked quite well, no debris nor water inside frame and does not look bat at all.

Hopefully someone will find this useful  :)
Great idea.  Looks like a really easy solution.

CloneRider

« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2021, 01:09:02 PM »
Or if you want the actual part...you need to order it from a Specialized Dealer...they are not available on line....cost me $5

Rubber Boot for BB Access Port (S206500002)

Guyzer73

« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2021, 03:50:40 AM »
So, I finally after much back and forth bought this frame from AWST at the end of April and it arrived today in Muscat, Oman.  ;D

I got them to ship to Hong Kong (free) and from there via Aramex Shop and Ship to Oman for US$50 with no VAT or other taxes applied. RESULT :D

Still waiting for the wheels though... Also, the service wasn't great. Even taking into account language barriers. Threats were made to recall the frame and charge double for shipping again etc. All because they failed to request an extension to the automated shipping date and a refund was processed. Ultimately, I could have gotten the frame for free as it had already shipped from Aramex by the time they raise the issue to me. They also missed their promised shipping date, 9 May, for everything by 10 days. I did pay again and the wheels are still not shipped but hey ho...

So here are a couple of photos:

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the build and the quality of the finish, with no imperfections, but, a little over run on the BB etc. It will be partially repainted to have a gloss black rear triangle and partial front triangle al a Specialized. I'm doing this locally as they wanted a small fortune for the dual colour.

I'll weigh the frame and components tonight and post then. Frame is size L.

Then once done I'll start assembling the bike. No rush as its 40C/104F outside now... >:(

Cheers All

Guy
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 03:59:43 AM by Guyzer73 »

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2021, 10:14:39 PM »
That color looks great. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Guyzer73

« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2021, 02:22:29 AM »
Thanks Robert

Long way to go as there is a real shortage of parts currently, at least at a reasonable price.... Managed to source a 150mm RS Revelation from Australia and a cheap rear shock from the States. Also, ordered the Specialized parts recommended here. So there's a start...

The rest will hopefully come from Europe. Unfortunately there's almost nothing available here in the Middle East so have to ship everything in, which makes it way more expensive >:(

Cheers

Guy

Guyzer73

« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2021, 02:50:23 AM »
So lots of people seem interested in the weight.

As it stands the painted frame with everything removed (chain guide, derailleur hanger, seat post clamp, rear shock hardware etc) weighs in at 1990g for a large.

Add those items back in and it reaches 2,315g. So spot on that quoted on Aliexpress.

Now, I like a lighter bike but not at any cost. EG I not paying US$100s more to save 50g. However, I see 3 items where I can save some weight cheaply or for free. These is the huge headset compression 'plug' which I don't need and will replace with a star nut. I won't install the chain guide as I don't think I'll need it. And finally the seat post clamp which is huge. I recon between the 3 items I can shave off around 140g, or 6% of the frame weight.

This will be offset by the down tube and chain stay protectors so pretty good.

For the rest of the build I'm going largely with SRAM and RaceFace components. The major exceptions being the dropper post (eventually) which will be a 150mm job from One Components and possibly brakes which may be 2/4 pot options from Shimano.

Target is weight 11.5kg and total cost including shipping of US$3,000 max.

Let's see how that goes.

Cheers

Guy

Guyzer73

« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2021, 05:17:22 AM »
So I took the plunge and ordered all the remaining parts from a Germany online store. Not VAT and relatively cheap ship to Middle East for what I ordered.

The build will be:

Frame: Stumpie clone large discolouration grey
Wheels: AWST carbon with XD freehub Boost
Suspension Fork: 2021 RS Revelation 150mm matt black
Rear shock: X-Fusion O2 RL 210x55mm
Brakes: Shimano SLX 4 pot (already own)
Seatpost: RS Reverb Stealth 150mm - bargain EUR240 :D
Seat: Selle Italia (already own)
Seat Clamp: Wolf Tooth 38.6mm
BB: SRAM DUB BSA
Crankset: Trutativ Descendant Carbon TLD 175mm - bargain EUR275 :D
Cassette & Chain: SRAM X1 11speed 10-42
Shifter: SRAM Gripshift GX Red
Brake Discs: Magura 6 bolt 160/180mm
Stem: RaceFace Atlas 60mm
Handlebar: RaceFace Next Riser (already own)
Tyres: Continental Cross King 2.30
Bottle Relocation: Wolftooth BRad-2
Headset: AWST but with regular star nut
Derailleur hanger: AWST
Pedals: Either Shimano Saint, or no brand flats (already own)

All up the above cost me US$3200 with shipping and comes in without tube fluids etc at 11.2.kg so all up should be below the 11.5kg I loosely set. Price a little over budget but that's largely down to the RS Reverb that I bought and wasn't planning to buy initially, but the deal was too good to refuse.

Now the waiting begins....

Cheers

Guy

emu26

« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2021, 04:11:05 PM »
Interested  to know what Aussie shop you got the Rev from? I'm in Sydney and prices are ridiculous and postage is even worse so it must have been a good price to have it compete with O/S pricing.

Guyzer73

« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2021, 11:35:29 PM »
Emu26,

I paid over the odds tbh, it was AUD880 shipped to Oman without 10% GST. However MRSP in Europe is EUR549 which is approx. AUD870, however they were offering it online for AUD530 ex VAT but with a delivery date pushed from mid May to August 2021.

The shop in  Australia was called Cyclinic in QLD and retail price was AUD779 + GST, so AUD856.90 for local purchase.

The problem is there are NO forks available here and European shops are not officially allowed to ship to Middle East directly for certain products like RockShox and Shimano, so I would have had to pay 20% VAT and shipping to get a fork here from Europe.

For a similar price I could have got a RS Domain, but that weighs 2.3kg so 300g heavier. For less money a Judy 35. Fox forks are all priced at EUR900 ex VAT and I wasn't prepared to pay that.

Another problem was availability as touched on above. Most shops have hardly any stock and don't honestly know when they'll get stock so for MTB parts it's a sellers market currently.

Cheers

Guy
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 11:53:18 PM by Guyzer73 »

bruto

« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2021, 01:57:37 AM »
I woulda sold you a slightly used xf mcqueen rcp for less, with shipping :)

Guyzer73

« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2021, 05:33:04 AM »
I woulda sold you a slightly used xf mcqueen rcp for less, with shipping :)

Oh well, I actually looked at those but thought they were only for 27.5+ wheels not 29ers...

But ultimately I'm a bit of a RockShox guy, only ever having diverted with a Pace for my GTZaskar LE and. VOTEC Air 2 for my GT STS XCR...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 02:07:29 AM by Guyzer73 »

Guyzer73

« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2021, 05:35:05 AM »
Hi All,

Can anybody point me in the direction of good quality replica decals for the frame?

Ideally looking for gloss black. I've seen loads on eBay and elsewhere, but kit sure of quality. Looking for the "Transfers type not the thicker vinyl type

Thanks

Guy

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2021, 10:08:48 PM »
Guy - I've had good luck on Etsy. Ordered a bunch of decals from many different sellers and never had an issue.

Guyzer73

« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2021, 02:06:44 AM »
Guy - I've had good luck on Etsy. Ordered a bunch of decals from many different sellers and never had an issue.

Cheers Robert will give that a try 

Also, what year is this frame based on? Is it the stock Stumpie from 2019?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 02:08:31 AM by Guyzer73 »