Author Topic: Stumpjumper clone  (Read 47236 times)

CloneRider

Re: Stumpjumper clone
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2021, 06:17:36 PM »
For those looking to add an aluminum rivet nut to their carbon frame...check out this video

Some tips about treating the rivet nut prior to install and using epoxy adhesive as an insulating layer to prevent galvanic corrosion between the aluminum and carbon.

Mousey

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2021, 12:09:42 AM »
Bottle holder really is too high, but i'm not really comfortable drilling holes in a carbon tubing... Maybe epoxy would help?

Another question, top shock mount is from specialized spec standard 6x20 but this frame has an opening of 21.6. Probably the best thing to do is to machine custom bushing to have a tight fit, right?

savas

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2021, 06:14:10 AM »
Hi guys,

i am new to the forum, just wanted to say hi.So there is no Xl frame .Do you think the L size will be really small for me.I am 1.88cm

Greets
Sava

Mousey

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2021, 10:08:37 AM »
I'm exactly 1.88, and the frame size L seems to be ok. Still waiting for the wheels which should be delivered this week. Can report back then how the ride is. I used to have specialized enduro comp 2013 size L, and when i compared these two frames they are very similar.

Jotegr

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2021, 10:44:43 AM »
For what it's worth I'd never touch the L size and I'm a hair over 188 cm

savas

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2021, 02:01:11 PM »
Thx guys,

i appreciate your feedback.Mousey i am expecting your review.Your Frame pictures made me decide to pull the trigger, but yes, the size is a concern for me.

Thrill21

« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2021, 02:52:54 PM »
Bottle holder really is too high, but i'm not really comfortable drilling holes in a carbon tubing... Maybe epoxy would help?

Another question, top shock mount is from specialized spec standard 6x20 but this frame has an opening of 21.6. Probably the best thing to do is to machine custom bushing to have a tight fit, right?

It's not something you want to get wrong that's for sure - but not something too difficult either. I have done this many times and I always say, pilot hole first fo you know exactly where your going. I would not recommend epoxy. I would make up a piece of aluminum 140mm long by 10mm wide then 3 holes in the aluminum spaced 65mm apart then that way the bottom hole on your bottle mount will at least be in something see drawing attached...Make sure also to install some felt under the bottom edge so it prevents the plate from slapping on the frame

Mousey

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2021, 12:44:09 PM »
hello again,

Finally i got my wheels. Bike built to 99% - ready to test ride. I finished in the evening so photos are made with bad lightning - will do some more in daylight. Bike feels great, i went for RS superdeluxe ultimate shock and Ohlins RXF 36 EVO at the end.

here are the specs:
crank - slx 32t 175mm
rear mech - slx 12s (10-51)
shifter - slx 12s
bb - xt
rotors - xt 203mm
hubs - xt micro spline
rims - WTB ST 30 Light 29"
brakes - slx 2piston (gonna upgrade front brake to 4 piston probably9
handlebar - ritchey trail raiser (10° back sweep - I know, i bought it without thinking..)
stem - 50mm (krsec - aliexpress)
seat - proloq (aliexpress)
seatpost - x-fusion manic 150mm 34,9
pedals - rockbros (aliexpress)
tires - Maxxis DHF 2.5 and DHR II 2.4
fork - öhlins rxf 36 Evo 29"
shock - RS superdeluxe ultimate 210*50

Bike is size L and feels great (I'm 1.88cm). Fork is buttery smooth (if anybody is interested) as i read a lot of reviews how bad it is - i haven't ridden a better fork, and i have ridden Marzocchi bomber (yes i am that old), Marzocchi 66, RS Boxxer WC, RS Pike RC, and this fork is the best one yet. I don't know if it's the 29" wheels or is the fork actually that good. Also the rear shock - the lock out function makes this bike almost like a hardtail (sag set to 30%), you can accelerate almost as on a hardtail... anyway, I only did short runs around the house, run some stairs - usual stuff.

Bike now weights 14,00Kg with tubeless system and you will agree DH tires. So if anybody wants to get it in the 12-13Kg range it shouldn't be to hard.

photos: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AodhshLG0I0gi65M28hhCsMf1ZS0eA?e=JUGqIY

So far i'm happy with the build, still missing some bolts for brake adapters, stem spacers and cap, but the ride is great and that's what matters. Will follow up with info if anybody is interested.

Bos

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2021, 06:07:28 AM »
Really nice build. I'm still quite happy on my P9, but this frame has compatible guards chain stay protectors etc.. Which makes it really nice.

I noticed your Seat Angle is 65 deg, which is a pity, because my long legs will expose that weakness, and It ends up defining the climbing character quite a bit. One can possible take 2-3deg back by sliding the seat forward, but I'm not to keen for that.

Still, nice bike though. Wish they would get the seat tube angles right.

Mousey

« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2021, 07:01:36 AM »
The flip chip is set to lowest position, so in theory you should get 0,5° steeper seatpost angle if flipped but loose the slack headtube angle. Didn't try it though.

Edit: for the bottle holder bolts, I found this "rack" on Ali which should then accommodate even a 750ml bottle (with piggy back shock even the 500ml doesn't fit). Will see.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000453357310.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5e944c4dP9dy08

Quite pricey but looks nicely made.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 07:05:04 AM by Mousey »

CloneRider

« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2021, 01:36:30 PM »
Hi Bos...I think you are looking for the "effective seat angle" which wouldn't be 65 degrees.

If Mousey took a straight edge or a level and lined it up from the center of the bottom bracket to the seat mount...and then put his angle finder on that straight edge...you would get the effective seat angle.

Edit - seat would need to be at the normal riding position...not the slammed down dropper post position.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 01:49:57 PM by CloneRider »

Hugo Hase

« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2021, 01:55:25 PM »
Hi,

I am new here and I am very interested to buy this frame. Unfortunately AWST don't have this frame anymore and OBM I never heard before.
So Airwolf seems to be the last one ...any experience with the quality?
I am 178cm which size would fit fore me? I probably ride more uphill then downhill, it's not the perfect frame for this but.... I like it.

How can I fix new screws into the frame for a new position for the bottle holder? Is the frame EPS build?
I do not have many experience in bike building but done some repairs and changes, so sorry for some stupid question...

Mousey

« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2021, 02:43:25 PM »
Hi Bos...I think you are looking for the "effective seat angle" which wouldn't be 65 degrees.

If Mousey took a straight edge or a level and lined it up from the center of the bottom bracket to the seat mount...and then put his angle finder on that straight edge...you would get the effective seat angle.

Edit - seat would need to be at the normal riding position...not the slammed down dropper post position.

And so i did. The level finding thingy showed 71,85 or thereabout... Seat height from bb to the rails 75cm or top seat 80cm

Photo: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AodhshLG0I0gi65z0mIgP0_zyyVRvQ
Managed to get some dirt on the bike today. Still happy. Needs some fine tuning, but will get there.

spth7ch

« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2021, 11:27:27 AM »
As a back up plan (I would rather go with a frame getting a steeper STA like FM1001 and SC clone but they appear to be quite "virtual" with no real possibilty to be bought), I'm ready to order this Stumpjumper clone.
Unfortunately, I'm without answer one week after having raised a pretty basic question to Airwolf (about custom painting possibility).
Hope this frame can be actually bought as some of you did.

CloneRider

« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2021, 04:04:30 PM »
Hi spth7ch & Hugo...you are probably not getting answers from the AliExpress sellers because the Chinese New Year holiday which officially started on 2/12/21 essentially closes down all factory production for the month of February.  Factory production ceases a week before that official date.  Although March 1st is just around the corner...the factories face many more challenges than I think...we on the forum realize.  I will post a link to this article explaining the challenges and they are eye opening to say the least.  Apparently, many trained workers do not return to their factory jobs after the holiday...leaving the factory to hire and re-train replacements.  Which would tell me that quality control may suffer on CF frames being produced during the month of March (and maybe beyond?)...this is not fact for any of the sellers we are discussing...just my own cautious belief based on what I am reading...you can decide for yourselves.

Here is the link to the article with a couple excerpts below:
https://www.chinaimportal.com/blog/chinese-new-year-impacts-import-business/

"While the official holiday is only lasting for roughly 5 working days, plus two weekends, most workers remain in their home provinces for an extra week or two. This explains why most suppliers are not back in business until two, sometimes even three, weeks after the Chinese New Years’ Eve.  You will have a hard time getting in contact with any company representatives, including the salespeople, on CNY eve and the following days."

"Finding, and training, a new batch of workers provides new challenges of its own. Skilled workers are, to a certain degree, replaced by rookies. This is one, of two reasons, why the risk of quality issues is at its peak right after the end of the Chinese New Year. Every trade takes its own time to master."

I was lucky enough to get my order in with AWST Cycling Tatics thru AliExpress back in Jan before everything started to shut down.  My frame has arrived in the U.S. (one week ago) as per the USPS tracking...but has not been delivered yet. I am assuming it is being held for customs inspections.  Interesting enough...when Hugo mentioned that "AWST no longer has the frame"...I went and checked.  Their store on AliExpress has no frames, wheels or any product available at all.  Does this mean they went out of business?...or are they just pulling the products because they know there will be nobody available during the holidays to answer buyer questions or process orders.  We have yet to see and I will let all of you know if I ever get the frame or not.

Let me close with my AirWolf experience.  Before I ordered thru AWST...I started asking AirWolf (who is also "YaoFlying") about the stumpy clone.  Asked if they had a medium in stock and could they ship it out by a certain date at the end of January 2021.  They responded they could meet those requirements and I just needed to place my order and pay for the frame.  I waited 1 day and just asked a follow up question regarding the timing of shipping it out before the CNY and the response I received was "we don't have Medium frames...only Large...we will not be producing them until next month.  If you place your order now...you will be first to get one once Medium's are finished"  I said to myself "next month" would be February...won't everything be closed down for the holiday?  Then a day after we had this conversation...they raised the price of the frame from $780 to $856...so I backed away from AirWolf.  Take that for what you will...I was a little dubious about their business practices.  I know others have purchased frames from them (they have a presence on EBAY, Amazon and AliExpress) and have been happy with them.