Author Topic: Light Carbon LCFS917 XC Frame  (Read 11539 times)

Cerps

Re: Light Carbon LCFS917 XC Frame
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2020, 11:18:08 PM »
Now that someone got one I'll spill the beans on mine. In a round about way I was able to get one earlier this year. I wish I was able to get the gloss black like Robin but had to settle for matte black. I have 1490 miles on it so far. I got the medium. I'm about 5'8.5" ( wingspan of 6 ft). I might have been able to get a large but I wasn't sure if the seatpost would be too long to run a dropper. I'm running 740mm bars and an 80mm -6 degree stem. I wish it had a little longer reach. Height wise I'm right on the edge between a medium and large and I have a long reach as stated above. But a frame with long reach is no good if the standover is too high for my legs

I built it up around a 120mm Sid Ultimate. It's last year's with the 32mm stanchion. The shock is a 165x45 fox nude from a 2017 Scott Spark 920. The rest of the components were budget buys.

Drivetrain:sram gx eagle
Crank: raceface affect
BB: wheels MFG thread together
Brakes: Shimano deore xt
Rotors: Shimano rt66
Bars: yeti carbon
Wheels: Mercury EnduroX3
Tires: Vittoria Barzo-front, Mezcal-rear, both 29x2.3
Dropper: OneUp V2 120mm
Seat: Specialized Power Arc expert
Dropper remote: Wolftooth barcentric
Suspension remote: Scott twinloc
I forgot to weigh the frame before I built it up. I think it sits about 26lbs without pedals.

So far I like it.  It pedals pretty good. I wish the bottom bracket was higher because I get some pedal strikes. I have it set up with about 10mm of sag on the shock so I probably can't get it much higher.  I spend most time with it in the middle shock position so 80mm travel. Not much pedal bob when I'm pedaling normal. Standing up and mashing there is some. I lock out the shock and fork on flats or smooth climbs when possible. I'll open it up for full ~115mm rear travel on rough stuff and when taking larger jumps and drops.

It's my first carbon frame. It feels pretty stiff but I'm only 142lbs so I'm light. I took it all apart when I got it and packed grease in all the bearings and then torqued everything to spec with blue loctite. I have a creak that I think is dirt in the seatpost otherwise the suspension is quiet. I bent a derailleur hanger when I crashed and then broke it when trying to straighten it. I had 1 extra so I ordered a couple more. I sheared the head off a suspension bolt somewhere around 800 miles so I ordered backup hardware.

RobinRLS

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2020, 01:22:44 AM »
The other pictures if it works :

RobinRLS

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2020, 03:00:19 AM »

carbonazza

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2020, 02:42:38 PM »
...Now that someone got one I'll spill the beans on mine...
Are you happy with the combo Mezcal/Barzo?
Do you ride with them in the mud sometimes?
I ride with Barzo for a year now, and found them much more grippy and equally rolling than Rocket Ron's.

chetosmachine

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2020, 03:41:20 AM »
I had Rocket Rons and hate them so much in the front wheel, they have so few grip. In the rear they roll easy and have decent grip.

Cerps

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2020, 02:45:40 PM »
Are you happy with the combo Mezcal/Barzo?
Do you ride with them in the mud sometimes?
I ride with Barzo for a year now, and found them much more grippy and equally rolling than Rocket Ron's.

I am happy so far with the Barzo/Mezcal.  I don't get a chance to ride mud.  With the way our soil is, they close our trails when it's too wet and open up once  they are dry otherwise the trail surface gets damaged and then holds more water the next time it rains.  The closest thing I get to mud is when the top is a little greasy sometimes.  There was one night last fall when it was greasy that I crashed twice in corners when my wheel(s) slid out.  One time was on a root I think and the other I was just pushing too hard for conditions. 

RobinRLS

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2020, 11:51:58 AM »
Little update of the building process.
Last components will arrive this week, and I will be able to mount the wheels and finish the assembly.

carbonazza

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2020, 04:24:04 PM »
Last components will arrive this week, and I will be able to mount the wheels and finish the assembly.

Is this a bar from Costelo ?
The bike computer mount is just stuck/glued on the bar?

Cerps

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2020, 09:02:45 PM »

Is that a DIY kydex downtube protector or did you find something that fits well? I tried making a kydex but it didn't form well and looked like garbage. Still trying to figure something out. A giant Trance X has a rubbery one I'd love to get my hands on but no luck so far

RobinRLS

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2020, 01:52:02 AM »
Is this a bar from Costelo ?
The bike computer mount is just stuck/glued on the bar?

Yes indeed I bought the handlebar at Costelo, it is the generic version of the Gemini Pröpus in 70mm x 740mm.
The gps mount is glued with a double-sided 3M patch with a diameter of 35mm, just larger than that of the Garmin mount.
I have ridden with this system for a season on my old bike, and it has never moved.

RobinRLS

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2020, 01:55:09 AM »
Is that a DIY kydex downtube protector or did you find something that fits well? I tried making a kydex but it didn't form well and looked like garbage. Still trying to figure something out. A giant Trance X has a rubbery one I'd love to get my hands on but no luck so far

It's DIY with 3M 2228 tape, which I also used to protect the chainstay (upper and lower part).
It's super easy to install, it sticks very strongly and it takes the shape of the frame to perfection, and to the touch it's very soft and with its thickness it should absorb rock impacts well.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 02:02:24 AM by RobinRLS »

RobinRLS

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2020, 01:58:24 AM »
Here is the list of components with their weight, I have not received them all so the total weight is not yet verified, but I think I am around 9.8kg and hope to go under 9.5kg in the future more or less close.

(sorry for the french spreadsheet, but i think the part names speak for themselves  ;) )
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 02:00:04 AM by RobinRLS »

QuentinLL

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2020, 12:54:16 PM »
Now that someone got one I'll spill the beans on mine. In a round about way I was able to get one earlier this year. I wish I was able to get the gloss black like Robin but had to settle for matte black. I have 1490 miles on it so far. I got the medium. I'm about 5'8.5" ( wingspan of 6 ft). I might have been able to get a large but I wasn't sure if the seatpost would be too long to run a dropper. I'm running 740mm bars and an 80mm -6 degree stem. I wish it had a little longer reach. Height wise I'm right on the edge between a medium and large and I have a long reach as stated above. But a frame with long reach is no good if the standover is too high for my legs

I built it up around a 120mm Sid Ultimate. It's last year's with the 32mm stanchion. The shock is a 165x45 fox nude from a 2017 Scott Spark 920. The rest of the components were budget buys.

Drivetrain:sram gx eagle
Crank: raceface affect
BB: wheels MFG thread together
Brakes: Shimano deore xt
Rotors: Shimano rt66
Bars: yeti carbon
Wheels: Mercury EnduroX3
Tires: Vittoria Barzo-front, Mezcal-rear, both 29x2.3
Dropper: OneUp V2 120mm
Seat: Specialized Power Arc expert
Dropper remote: Wolftooth barcentric
Suspension remote: Scott twinloc
I forgot to weigh the frame before I built it up. I think it sits about 26lbs without pedals.

So far I like it.  It pedals pretty good. I wish the bottom bracket was higher because I get some pedal strikes. I have it set up with about 10mm of sag on the shock so I probably can't get it much higher.  I spend most time with it in the middle shock position so 80mm travel. Not much pedal bob when I'm pedaling normal. Standing up and mashing there is some. I lock out the shock and fork on flats or smooth climbs when possible. I'll open it up for full ~115mm rear travel on rough stuff and when taking larger jumps and drops.

It's my first carbon frame. It feels pretty stiff but I'm only 142lbs so I'm light. I took it all apart when I got it and packed grease in all the bearings and then torqued everything to spec with blue loctite. I have a creak that I think is dirt in the seatpost otherwise the suspension is quiet. I bent a derailleur hanger when I crashed and then broke it when trying to straighten it. I had 1 extra so I ordered a couple more. I sheared the head off a suspension bolt somewhere around 800 miles so I ordered backup hardware.

The rockshox SID cable pull is 10mm.
What is the cable pull of the Fox Nude shock (12-13mm I guess) ? Do you have a "free stroke" on the fork cable on the first 2-3mm ?
How does it feel and perform ?

Thank you very much

Cerps

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2020, 09:33:03 PM »
The rockshox SID cable pull is 10mm.
What is the cable pull of the Fox Nude shock (12-13mm I guess) ? Do you have a "free stroke" on the fork cable on the first 2-3mm ?
How does it feel and perform ?

Thank you very much

Cable pull is very close between both. I leave a little slack in the fork cable when shock is open. With the remote in the middle position the fork seems to be open. Then at lockout both shock and fork lock out. Overall it seems to work. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get a 2 position fork to work with the 3 position shock and remote but it works just fine.

BrainMach1

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2020, 06:34:22 AM »
Howdy!

I am new to this forum.  I have built 2 carbon hardtails for my kids and have laced carbon rims to my store bought gravel bike. 

I placed an order for the LCFS917 this week.  They are already mocking up my decals so I hope the frame gets shipped this week.  They either had some extras on the shelf or they are selling some b grades.  I certainly hope the former.