Author Topic: TanTan TT-X21 frame  (Read 25472 times)

ldavies

Re: TanTan TT-X21 frame
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2021, 12:17:51 PM »
Does anyone know where I might find a rubber grommet type thing like the one in this picture?  Tantan does not ship one with the TT=X21 (god knows why - it's only a $1 item). 
TIA, Lloyd

hazzer19

« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2021, 11:21:35 PM »
Does anyone know where I might find a rubber grommet type thing like the one in this picture?  Tantan does not ship one with the TT=X21 (god knows why - it's only a $1 item). 
TIA, Lloyd

Would not mind one of those either. Don't think it'll be included with the velobuild 168

LVM

« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2021, 03:47:20 AM »
Hello all,

My first post here, I bought a TT-X3 frame from Seraph/Tan Tan. It took more than 2 months to arrive. Communication during the wait time was mediocre. Questions were not answered. But, when I arrived I was happy. It looked beautiful! Nicely build, paint great.

The bike was build by a friend, which was a professional bike builder for many years.

HOWEVER! After riding ONLY 8 KM/5 miles, the seatpost collapsed and I nearly crashed. A small crack in the frame appeared. I am only 80kg heavy and the frame lasted less then 10 km.

I contacted the company, they said they would make it an emergency call. After a couple of days they said they would send a new frame but not a new seatpost (which was heavily damaged by the collapse). A long conversation started but they would not take responsibility. I bought the frame via Ali-express due to their (in my experience) good customer protection which I really needed in this case. Seraph made a threat, if I would post a one star review (how could I give any better than one star with a 'quality' like this?), they wouldn't send a new frame. How about customer service?!

During the dispute process, Seraph made two propositions, 1: new frame, that's it. 2: send all back, get my money back. However, shipping would be more than the cost of the frame.

Ali judge ruled in my favor. I will get my money back.

This was my first chinese frame. I knew it would be a risk, I got a really shitty frame. It wont be my last, I will going to buy a Velobuild or Ican frame.

BUT BE WARNED, DON'T BUY FROM TAN TAN/SERAPH!

A lot of you guys won't have any issues and ride your frame without any issues. However, if you are unlucky like me, you're screwed with this BS company!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 03:51:05 AM by LVM »

carbonazza

« Reply #138 on: May 04, 2021, 06:44:01 AM »
Although there are many people here, happy from their frame.
They show regularly very poor after sale service.
Still not sure about ordering hardtails from them.

imperyal

« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2021, 07:01:01 AM »
Hello everyone!

My TT-X21 bike is finally completed, It's missing the handlebar tape and some adjustments... But overall it's done, I road tested it yesterday (just a 1 km ride to check if nothing falls or breaks).

I will try to post a video soon about the process..

ldavies

« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2021, 10:41:16 AM »
Looks good.  Did you do the paint or did they? 

imperyal

« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2021, 12:28:11 PM »
I did the paint job.

the_tiger

« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2021, 03:51:12 PM »
Hello guys,
finally a few days ago my TT-X3 frame arrived. I like it very much, however I am not so sure about the fork. Firstly the shaft is not evenly round, so that the top cap does not slide into it. I might fix this by grinding away some of the material on the inside. I don't think that should be an issue as the wall thickness is quite high.
The other thing is that the dropouts are exactly 93mm apart, which means that I have to apply a considerable amount of force to bend the fork to be able to put the wheel in. What do you guys think of this problem, is that something I have to accept, or is it way above acceptable manufacturing tolerance?

FHS

« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2021, 06:09:22 PM »
Is your steerer tube like that, even after being cut down?

My front fork is at 100mm exactly, but I do have issues. There is play in the front wheel no matter how hard the thru axle is tightened down.

When I was having headset issues, I took the entire bike to my LBS and he figured out that some of the front end slop came from the fork as well as the headset. He put a washer on the front thru axle and that seems to have fixed the symptoms, enough for me to be able to ride "comfortably" downhill at 45+ mph anyway. Still, the fork issue is there without the band aid.

I don't know how smart it is for me to be riding my bike the way the front fork is, so I have a hard time giving you advice. I haven't contacted TanTan about what's going on with mine. Maybe that's a place to start, for both of us.

ldavies

« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2021, 07:50:27 PM »
Hello guys,
finally a few days ago my TT-X3 frame arrived. I like it very much, however I am not so sure about the fork. Firstly the shaft is not evenly round, so that the top cap does not slide into it. I might fix this by grinding away some of the material on the inside. I don't think that should be an issue as the wall thickness is quite high.
The other thing is that the dropouts are exactly 93mm apart, which means that I have to apply a considerable amount of force to bend the fork to be able to put the wheel in. What do you guys think of this problem, is that something I have to accept, or is it way above acceptable manufacturing tolerance?

93mm is way too narrow.  I'd send it back or ask them to send a replacement.  Let us know how you get along. 

the_tiger

« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2021, 12:45:08 AM »
Thanks for your replies.

@FHS: I haven't yet cut the shaft, as I'm still waiting for my spacer set to arrive. Can't imagine that cutting a few centimeters off the shaft would change anything regarding the distance between the dropouts, though.
Did he put the washer between wheel and fork or between the lever of the thru axle and the fork?

@Idavies: I've already contacted them and sent them a photo of the measurement. They told me that I would have to bend the fork a little bit to let the wheel slide in. I think I should send them a video of the procedure to make a clear point that it's not possible by gently pulling the fork arms apart but rather having to apply a considerable amount of force with a full grip of both hands.

ldavies

« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2021, 09:33:37 AM »
You will need to insist with them.  And be prepared to fight.  And I hope you did not pay with Paypal "friends and family".  That is your backup if they do not agree to send you another one.  I would not waste too much time arguing with them before you tell them you have no choice but to take it up with Paypal.  At that point hopefully they will capitulate.  7mm is not ok!

Nickk2000

« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2021, 10:06:28 AM »
“Bend the fork”
That is so blatantly not supposed to happen with open molds.

FHS

« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2021, 12:25:12 PM »
Hi All,

I'm seriously considering going Shimano Di2. I have 0 experience with Di2 a part from a couple of general information videos. My understanding is that ill need to install a couple of junction boxes, a battery, and some cables, along with the shifters and derailleurs.

My understanding is that the TT X21 is already set up to run Di2 and that the front junction box has the mount in the downtube. Is that correct? Where would the other components, the battery and the second junction box go?

Am I missing anything? Any tips?

Thanks!

ldavies

« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2021, 01:34:13 PM »
Well that would make it a very special bike.  There's a good site that will give you advice https://bettershifting.com/.  Also if want to eliminate drivetrain wires completely consider SRAM. But maybe first of all have a look at availability and what is available - practically nothing.  And then go with whatever you can actually buy.