Author Topic: TanTan TT-X21 frame  (Read 25780 times)

Jarne

Re: TanTan TT-X21 frame
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2021, 03:11:51 AM »
I ordered the brakes and will let you know when they arrive (probably in a month or so).

snaert

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2021, 03:42:39 AM »
Yes I can confirm that the sensah brake lever have quite long way of free stroke before they acually start to pull the cable. In addition the cable is attached at a different spot on the lever compared to the shimano ones, giving them a different way/force ratio.

ldavies

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2021, 01:44:19 PM »
Hearing cracks when you press a BB is not anormal. It is even a sign of a tight fit.
The BBInfinite ones make a scary noise.
It will be interesting to know if the SRAM cracks less, being in plastic.

My tt-x21 just arrived and I sized the bottom bracket and it is smaller than spec.  FYI this is the 3rd bike I have purchased from TanTan (other 2 were mtbs) and ALL of them have undersized bottom bracket shells.

On the first mtb I installed a hambini bottom bracket and once installed the cranks did not spin smoothly because of all the pressure that the frame was putting on the bottom bracket.  I took bearings out of BB and then slightly increased the size of the bottom bracket bearing landings with a whiffle/flap wheel.  Then reinserted a new bearing and all is good.

On 2nd mtb (also an undersized bb shell)  I used a whiffle / flap wheel on the carbon frame before I put the hambine BB into the frame and all seems to be working fine.

Bottom line is I think they do not check specs on their bb shells very well and they know that if they ship one that is oversized it's a more apparent problem to the customer than an undersized on. 

FYI I now have a special tool that I can fit into the BB shell to see if it is oversized.  For this TT-X21 I will be using the whiffle / flap wheel on the frame.  I wish I did not have to but.....

ldavies

Headset top cap is ugly.
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2021, 04:06:53 PM »
Hey fellow TT-X21 owners.  Quick question.

What did you do for the top cap.  I expected some kind of custom top cap to come with the bike because otherwise you are looking at the ugly clamp tightening bolt whenever you look down at the headset.  I have attached a pre-build picture for reference.

FHS

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2021, 09:02:33 PM »
You have a different handlebar and stem than I do. The bolt for the top cap to the compression plug has a rubber cap that covers the hex bolt. The compression plug that comes with the X-21 is pretty worthless. It slips constantly. I switched it out for an FSA compression plug. If you replace your compression plug for less than $20 USD, you can have a much better plug and use the cap that comes with the TanTan plug to cover that bolt, maybe.

ldavies

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2021, 10:20:18 PM »
You have a different handlebar and stem than I do. The bolt for the top cap to the compression plug has a rubber cap that covers the hex bolt. The compression plug that comes with the X-21 is pretty worthless. It slips constantly. I switched it out for an FSA compression plug. If you replace your compression plug for less than $20 USD, you can have a much better plug and use the cap that comes with the TanTan plug to cover that bolt, maybe.

Really?  My one piece stem/handlebar is the same as the one pictured on the tantan wesbite here  http://www.tantancycling.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=view&p_id=843

ldavies

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2021, 01:32:42 AM »
Reading your message.  What cap that comes with the TanTan?  I am not sure I recieved one.  Would you mind taking a picture of yours?  I have ordered an FSA top cap which I hope to sand down to the right fit and cover that ugly hex bolt  (https://www.randombikeparts.com/products/fsa-vision-aero-carbon-headset-top-cap-670-4000-for-integrated-bar-new?gclid=CjwKCAiAmrOBBhA0EiwArn3mfJIolD15H7uCna22UH0cC07CM0J-60xlq3oq55hr90dETA0LAVpYthoCG9oQAvD_BwE)

And I have a different expander plug which I will use.

FHS

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2021, 09:57:47 AM »
This is the integrated handlebar and stem that came with my frame.

http://tantancycling.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=view&p_id=623

Here is the top cap from TanTan, on my bike, along with the compression plug that I'm not using. The TanTan top cap works with the compression plug that came with the FSA ACR headset. There is a rubber cover that fits over the bolt, but I stopped using it and can't seem to track it down.

snaert

Re: Headset top cap is ugly.
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2021, 01:04:44 PM »
Hey fellow TT-X21 owners.  Quick question.

What did you do for the top cap.  I expected some kind of custom top cap to come with the bike because otherwise you are looking at the ugly clamp tightening bolt whenever you look down at the headset.  I have attached a pre-build picture for reference.

There was a top cap coming with my frame. There remains only a little hole above the clamp bolt. I will cover this hole with a little rubber plug later.

ldavies

Re: Headset top cap is ugly.
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2021, 03:51:05 AM »
There was a top cap coming with my frame. There remains only a little hole above the clamp bolt. I will cover this hole with a little rubber plug later.

Yes that is what I was expecting.  They are going to send another one and in the mean time I (or my son actually) will have an ugly topcap to look at.  They also forgot to ship the spare seatpost and handlebar and seatpost that I ordered.  Would not be so bad if it was overnight shipping but it takes forever to get to me.  Over a month for my shipment and 8 weeks from order date to arrival on my doorstep.

BrianO

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2021, 03:09:23 AM »
I am expecting delivery of spare handlebar spacers soon.
What height do you cut the fork at relative to the handlebars?

braincore

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2021, 05:22:28 PM »
How did you all choose between the TT-X23, TT-X24, and TT-X21? They all look similarly priced. Did you all pass on the TT-X3 because of the BB386 bottom bracket?

tx

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2021, 11:09:15 PM »
How did you all choose between the TT-X23, TT-X24, and TT-X21? They all look similarly priced. Did you all pass on the TT-X3 because of the BB386 bottom bracket?

I just ordered the TT-X21.
I initially ordered the ICAN Triaero A9 frameset but had to return it because of some quality issues.
For me the next frame set closest to the ICAN A9 to buy is the the TT-X21. Hence it was easy to make the choice.

tx

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2021, 11:18:19 PM »
From experience does anyone have an idea where TanTan ships the TT-X21 from?
I made an order and it was shipped from Tianjin City but TanTan website shows Shenzhen City as their location.

I googled which carbon bike manufacture is located at Tianjin City and the result shows that the big guys "Fuji-ta" are located at Tianjin City.

Could this mean TanTan is also outsourcing the TT-X21 like a few other websites selling this similar frameset geometry?

FHS

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2021, 04:51:02 PM »
I am expecting delivery of spare handlebar spacers soon.
What height do you cut the fork at relative to the handlebars?

Just about every set of instructions I saw on cutting the steerer says, once you determine how many spacers you will use, to mark the tube at top surface of the stem, then cut 3 mm below that mark to give the top cap enough space to tighten the headset. In the case of the X21, of course, you mark the steerer tube at the top surface of the integrated handlebars.

With the TanTan top cap and compression plug I got with my headset, though, I actually had to use a 5mm spacer above the handlebar to have enough space to tighten down the headset after I cut the tube. The bottom surface of the top cap bulges into the space above the top of the steerer tube and didn't allow me to tighten down the headset enough with just a 3mm space I had after I cut the steerer.

So, I guess it kinda depends on what compression plug and top cap you are going to use. Apologies if that doesn't answer your question.