Author Topic: Budget (Aluminium) Wheelset?  (Read 2227 times)

Schumo

Budget (Aluminium) Wheelset?
« on: November 19, 2020, 04:54:14 AM »
Hey guys!
I'm still on the hunt for a budget-friendly wheelset for my OG-EVKIN CF-052 build.

My requirements are:
- 29"
- >22mm inner width
- 100/142 Thru-Axles
- 6-Bolt Brakes
- 11spd HG Freehub
- <200€
(- <2000g)

I had some Koozer XF2046 on my mind, which look really good, the XM490 hub should be alright, but they're on the heavy and narrow side, and everywhere sold out. 

Do you have any suggestions for me? Or should I just dig deeper in my pockets and get some Carbon wheels?

carbonazza

Re: Budget (Aluminium) Wheelset?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 05:20:46 AM »
You are looking for it, aren't you  ;) Indulge yourself some carbon, no hesitation.
They are lighter for the same if not a better strength.
All people I helped convert, will never go back.
And if you divide the price difference by the years you will use them, this is probably a reasonable amount.

adriaanm

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 10:57:28 AM »
I have these on my steel gravel bike and am happy with them so far, and I think they meet your requirements (23-622 ETRTO):
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/mavic-allroad-disc-frontwheel-908319
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/mavic-allroad-disc-rearwheel-908325

They are a hair under 2kg (the centerlock version, on my scale: 904g + 1060g).

I've never experienced carbon wheels, so can't tell you how they compare 8)

Schumo

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 02:44:24 PM »
@carbonazza
Haha, yes! But I really want to keep the initial build below 1k€ - and in that budget is no space for some Carbon Wheels.
Plus I'm almost overwhelmed with the Carbon MTB wheel offer, choosing a set for my roadbike was a lot easier.

@adriaanm
Thanks, those are a good tip! I saw that BD is also selling Mavic Crossmax at the same pricepoint, which are even more interesting for a MTB.
I also found an used set Crossmax, unfortunately the seller doesn't want to ship.

On the other hand, these wannebe Mavics on AliExpress make me really curious  ;D ;D I wonder if they're a bargain or just junk. I've already contacted the seller, which confessed that they're heavier (1800g) than stated.

bremerradkurier

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 09:01:25 AM »
Build your own, albeit for slightly more?

https://bdopcycling.com/product/bdop-diy-kit-alloy-gravel-ii/

Schumo

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 05:27:02 PM »
I scored a set Roval wheels on Ebay, and even kept it in my 1000€ budget!  ;D

But yeah, I will definetely build a wheelset myself somewhen in the future when I try to drop the weight below 9.5kgs.

Nicoloc

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 01:41:38 PM »
Hi all
I'm jumping in this topic.
Any recommendation for aluminum road wheels?

Schumo

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 09:31:40 AM »
You're going with Rim brakes, right?
Then I'd check out the Koozer RS1400. They're below 1500g and can be found for around 120€ with shipping on Ali.

Edit: And if you want to spend a bit more, maybe these?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 10:45:29 AM by Schumo »

Nicoloc

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 02:09:58 PM »
Yes i'm going for Rim brakes
I've seen the Koozer ones, they look nide, but vedor told me that rider max weight is 90kg.... which i definitly would love to be bellow  :)
I suspect the BOTY might have the same draw back but i'm going to ask :)
Other point to concider are the duty taxes for france.
still thanks for pointing thoses.
Any experience from your sides with this type of wheels ?

Schumo

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 05:53:02 PM »
No experience from my side with those kind of wheels. I wanted to get Koozers for my MTB, but they weren't available.  :(

I got some Ican Carbon wheels waiting for my new roadbike build, but on my current bike I have a Rose (big german bike parts distributor) branded rear wheel I got from a friend working in a bike shop. The wheel costed 50€, but it weights 1.2kg i think.

Nicoloc

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 08:47:43 AM »
I'm in touch with Boty, Koozer and CSC.
They are all proposing some interesting builds.
I'll let you know what the out come is.
My aim is to beat the DT swiss P1800 in term of price (shipping and taxes included) and weight.

adriaanm

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 12:38:38 PM »
Fwiw, I have a similar goal for my road bike build for next year. Being lazy, I attached a screenshot from my spreadsheet (prices are mostly from bike24 with 7.7% Swiss VAT). Apparently ZTTO has some new road specific hubs coming with the old DT ratchet mechanism. (There’s another thread somewhere. ZTTO R2 54t)

Nicoloc

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 09:29:41 AM »
hi guys
after lot of research and forum crawling , i ended believing that the Chinese alloys wheels are not for my type of shape...
many forum saying that the kinlin are good for light weight riders but really not for heavy ones.
So i finally found a pair of DTswiss P1800 brand new on tyhe french craiglist (le bon coin)§.
I wish iwas lighter, iwould have been able to save some Euros and get some exotic wheels   :)
thanks for your inputs
Nicoloc

robertofrr

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 04:20:39 AM »
Hey guys!
I'm still on the hunt for a budget-friendly wheelset for my OG-EVKIN CF-052 build.

My requirements are:
- 29"
- >22mm inner width
- 100/142 Thru-Axles
- 6-Bolt Brakes
- 11spd HG Freehub
- <200€
(- <2000g)

I had some Koozer XF2046 on my mind, which look really good, the XM490 hub should be alright, but they're on the heavy and narrow side, and everywhere sold out. 

Do you have any suggestions for me? Or should I just dig deeper in my pockets and get some Carbon wheels?

Hello.
I looking your OG-EVKIN CF-052 build. Nice!

About wheelset I have already bought in this English Shop.
For Mtb use
https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-chosen-hub-alex-volar-trail-wheels-29-82077.html

For Gravel, Cyclocross, Road use
https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-alex-cx28-chosen-cx-disc-wheels-700c-81721.html

The wheels are made by Raleigh with china components.
Chosen Hubs, Alexrims and ACI Alpina Spokes

in my opinion excellent value for money

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 04:23:00 AM by robertofrr »