Author Topic: Keeping it quite.  (Read 4638 times)

Keeping it quite.
« on: October 19, 2014, 10:13:47 PM »
Internal brake and shift lines seem to make a lot of noise.
I have heard others with crank, seat post, and various other parts making noise.
I was just wondering what everyone is doing to quiet their bikes. Post up your noise and how you made it go away.

I tried using foam pipe insulation in the down tube. It helped a lot but I am still getting a rattling noise from the back. I think it is the shift cable hitting the frame after the crank (IP 256).

MTB2223

Re: Keeping it quite.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:50:09 AM »
Good topic!

I have to do the foam trick for the internal cables. It makes really noise.
For the rear shifter cable, I didn't use the internal cable guides, but I'm running the full hose through the frame. I drilled out the back and front cable stop to get the full hose through. This way it make no sound at the back (but in the top of the down tube).

Got a small noise issue when steering really quick. The solution for this was to put some extra shims between the headset cap and the lock ring. Started with grease, but that didn't workout.

Seat post noise issue is easy to solve: clean up the seat post and frame. If the seat post wiggle (?) a little bit, use some hair spray to make it a little bit thicker (three spray sessions). And then use some carbon paste. Tighten the seat post clamp with 4 nm, with a max of 6 nm. This works so for good for me.

My wheel set made some rubber on rubber sound. Couldn't find it in the first place, but when opening the hub, getting of the conversion adapter, I found a small rubber closing ring. I putted some grease on it and now it's silent.

Creaking crank needs definitely some grease or a new bottom bracket bearing.

Always clean up before greasing.

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 12:58:19 AM »
The most important noise I get from my 256 is the chain slacking the chain stay.
When not pedalling on a rough descent for instance.

A thing I though would not happen with the XX1, but definitely happening.
Especially if you are on the smaller sprockets.
I thought it was the cable at the beginning.

Go a gear or two down and this noise, at least, stops immediately.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 07:11:36 AM »
After lubricating the shock pivots on my IP-036 the bike has been dead quiet.  My IP-056 rarely makes any noise.  I like not having an creaking or rattling noises on my bikes.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:01:15 PM »
I was trying to find a black, sticky on one side, rubber/foam piece. I would use it between the head tube and brake line, shift cable. The cables make a really annoying noise when it gets bumpy. Any recommendations?

MTB2223

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 02:04:52 AM »
I was trying to find a black, sticky on one side, rubber/foam piece. I would use it between the head tube and brake line, shift cable. The cables make a really annoying noise when it gets bumpy. Any recommendations?
Yes, please take a look here: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,150.msg2326.html#msg2326 or here http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/chinese-carbon-29er-640919-post11461755.html#post11461755

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
I have put the foam in the down tube to quiet the internal lines.

My problem is with the brake and shift cables resting on the steering head part of the frame (not internal). The are rubbing on the frame and make a lot of noise on the bumpy sections. I was hoping just to stick some soft rubber or foam were they touch to stop the noise. I tried a piece of foam but the sticky side didn't stay on very long.

I am also looking for a smaller foam tubing that I can slide around the brake and shift cables  where they run through the back of the frame after the crank.

MTB2223

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
Okay. '
Your rear shifter cable is going into your frame at the right side of your head tube ?

I switched the rear and front shifter cable to let it make a nice curve around my head tube. So, these cables are going into my frame without touching my head tube.Even when I'm steering. (I'll make a picture this evening to show you what I mean)

Maybe that is a nice solution for you ?

MTB2223

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 01:29:28 AM »
Here's the picture of the cable routing outside the tube around the headset. I'm pretty happy how they running, because they never touch the frame around the headset. Even when the steer is completely to the right or to the left.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:44:31 AM by MTB2223 »

kuipino

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 11:56:20 AM »
Mtb2223 is that a sticker on your toptube or paint? The sticker on the headtube looks great.
I am also gone put some stickers on my frame, the xmiplay logo on the headtube and probably a name sticker.
Where did you get your stickers?

MTB2223

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »
It's a sticker. What's white, that's a sticker. The aren't transparent parts.
I've got the sticker from Jeroen of http://frame-stickers.nl/ . For 6 euro you get three stickers.
I ordered there also name stickers for my daughter her bikes. With name stickers you also get a country flag ( 2 x name, 2 x flag, 2 x protective transparent stickers for the flags)
 The 6 euro includes shipping costs.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »
Good topic!

I have to do the foam trick for the internal cables. It makes really noise.
For the rear shifter cable, I didn't use the internal cable guides, but I'm running the full hose through the frame. I drilled out the back and front cable stop to get the full hose through. This way it make no sound at the back (but in the top of the down tube).

Got a small noise issue when steering really quick. The solution for this was to put some extra shims between the headset cap and the lock ring. Started with grease, but that didn't workout.

Seat post noise issue is easy to solve: clean up the seat post and frame. If the seat post wiggle (?) a little bit, use some hair spray to make it a little bit thicker (three spray sessions). And then use some carbon paste. Tighten the seat post clamp with 4 nm, with a max of 6 nm. This works so for good for me.

My wheel set made some rubber on rubber sound. Couldn't find it in the first place, but when opening the hub, getting of the conversion adapter, I found a small rubber closing ring. I putted some grease on it and now it's silent.

Creaking crank needs definitely some grease or a new bottom bracket bearing.

Always clean up before greasing.

I think the Foam in the down tube did a great job at quieting down the cable noise, but I think it is messing with my shift quality. I think with the bare shift cable resting on the foam I am not getting a consistent tension on the shift cable causing gear change problems.

I think I am going to have to drill out the cable stops like you did.